Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomáš Petrů
Czech Republic
Mělník
Středočeský kraj
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my report of Automa Solo Campaign. I apologize for mistakes, English is my second language.

After two solo test games (win and a lose), I was drawn to a Automa Solo Campaign and decided to try it out. I´ve been in this beatiful hobby since april and this was also my first proper solo-gaming experience. Choosing a normal difficulty seemed like the right choice. Unfortunately I didn´t track my first three games, because I got the idea of a session report later, but from what I remember, there were no real difficulties.

I´ve thought that this campaign is mostly about efficiency, so my strategy was to build a solid wine engine as soon as possible and squeeze some points from visitor cards and bonus actions if possible. I absolutely loved that some challenges required me to change the strategy and explore other aspects of the game.

Challenge 4 – Managed to score 14 points in the last year, which was game-breaking – just solid combination of contracts and visitor cards.
(Automa is orange)

Challenge 5 – I immediately thought that this one won´t be that hard and I was right. In majority of the games I scored the most points in rounds 6 and 7. Having one extra round to do stuff was very valuable.
(Automa is orange)

Challenge 6 - This one was very different from the others, which I really liked. I´ve had a really good wine draws and managed to build a good wine engine, but on the other hand, basically all yellow visitors I drew that game were terrible (visitor that let you plant a wine after my wine was planted and so on..). Luckily the blue visitors were not that mean to me and especially the visitor that let you age all wine in a cellar twice was the real MVP.
(Automa is purple)

Challenge 7 - The score was 32, which is basically my record – getting money every round from the beginning proved to be very useful and fortunately I managed to draw 2 yellow visitor cards, that allowed me to exchange money for points. Plus a solid wine engine made this challenge a piece of cake.
(Automa is blue)

Challenge 8 - NO! Challenge run without a loss is not happening. To be honest, I didn´t play this right. More bonus action tokens should have been used on getting extra points. Tasting room was built too late, which eventually cost me the game. In the end, 18 points is not bad, but next try I will need to do better.
(Automa is blue)

Challenge 8, second try - Finally. Only one point difference, but nevertheless a victory! Close game, great campaign overall.
(Automa is orange)

I have to say that for me, this game is truly awesome and I am very happy that I managed to buy it. I can play it with my girlfriend, which is always a huge plus, but I truly enjoyed every game playing against Automa. What a great design. Not only I discovered that solo gaming can be a great experience, but I also want to try another game with Automa, so Scythe is on my radar now.

Aggressive mode is next!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for the report, I''m very happy that you liked it. This sentence in particular made me happy:

Quote:
I absolutely loved that some challenges required me to change the strategy and explore other aspects of the game.

This is exactly what we were going for with the campaign: Pushing you to explore new strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
Thank you very much for the report, I''m very happy that you liked it. This sentence in particular made me happy:

Quote:
I absolutely loved that some challenges required me to change the strategy and explore other aspects of the game.

This is exactly what we were going for with the campaign: Pushing you to explore new strategies.

Currently in my Snowdonia campaign. Viti campaign will be next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dobby
msg tools
AernoutMJC wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:

Quote:

Currently in my Snowdonia campaign. Viti campaign will be next.

I will be beginning both of these soon as well!

Hmm...scythe campaign....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdobby wrote:
Hmm...scythe campaign....

I would have loved to do a campaign for Scythe Automa, but I simply haven’t had the time to make one with proper playtesting. But I took this opportunity to cook up a completely untested suggestion for a campaign.

I originally posted the campaign here, but I realized that this was an an impolite derailing of this thread, so I moved it over here: Completely untested Scythe Automa campaign

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morten, you are making me want this game even more. Tonight I will finally get to play it.

(And Thursday next week, I'll have finished my epic challenge to play all the games in the BGG top 100!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AernoutMJC wrote:
Morten, you are making me want this game even more. Tonight I will finally get to play it.

Mission accomplished.

AernoutMJC wrote:
(And Thursday next week, I'll have finished my epic challenge to play all the games in the BGG top 100!)

Very impressive mission accomplished .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.