4 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Solitaire X-wing Campaign rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Stokes
England
flag msg tools
I love X-wing. I long for the days I could meet up with people and play campaigns with characters to progress. Unfortunately work demands and starting a family have meant my free time doesn't match up with anyone anymore.

Vassal etc is a great resource but there's something about using your actual models and physically rolling the dice that is so appealing and can't be replaced.

As a solo player I've tried to enjoy the game but have found myself dissatisfied with what was available. Don't get me wrong, HotAC and the other campaigns are amazing but require my collection to contain certain ships etc.

I found myself looking at the Galactic Civil War rules, which are modified from the Babylon 5: A Call To Arms ruleset, and was excited at the prospect of customising a galaxy map with strategic targets to battle for control of and scenarios to pick from as well as attrition and progression of ships and pilots.

This system however isn't set up for solo play, but looking further into the source material I found expanded rules for B5:ACTA in the form of an Expansion to the campaign rules adding priority levels to battles and recon, strategic and establish control actions to the campaign which gives escalation to the scale of the campaign.

Now, to make this work, I have used a lot of the campaign rules very loosely in the tradition of solitaire wargaming and am playing through with a narrative in mind against an AI but using common sense and stringing a story together as I go. This is a learning experience but I thought I would share my experiences with you just in case anyone else was wanting more out of solo play. I find having something to work towards makes me want to play this game more and more. Every game is so much more interesting to me now.

Follow my journey on my blog https://angelsquadronxwing.wordpress.com/

Galactic Civil War Rules derived from B5:ACTA credit to Reckon of Team Covenant
https://www.dropbox.com/s/76mrswtl87rhvma/X-wing%20Campaign%...

B5:ACTA X Campaign Rules
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=b5+acta+x+campaign&safe=st...

This second link is awkward so I've posted my Google search. It's the 8th result down Libsyn pdf result
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Reece
United States
Post Falls
ID
flag msg tools
I will be following as well. I have really enjoyed HotAC, but always looking for new ways to play solo. I fall into the same trap that I just dont have the free time too meet up with other players.

I am unfamiliar with the rules you will be using. Is there an easy summary of these rules somewhere that you know of? Hoping to save some time digging around if possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stokes
England
flag msg tools
Ah, thank you for pointing that out. I've edited my original post to include the links. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.