Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scot Rose
United States
South Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was recently playing a solo game of core Quest 9: The Hellhole, using just the core game rules and components. I'm a Zombicide Season 1 convert to Black Plague, so I'm used kicking in doors as early as it makes sense to do to reduce room spawning. Now with necromancers, the other thing I try to plan out is how I want to route their escape. In this particular game, I was hoping to open the main rooms to get zombies and experience trickling out, instead of building an unmanageable horde. It would also allow me to eliminate one of the outside spawn points and create a controllable path for the necromancer to follow, until I was able to get the spawn points to originate in the Hellhole.

In practice, I opened the door to the main room while everyone was still maxed in the blue danger level. Unfortunately, I had removed an early necromancer, leaving none on the board. A necromancer spawned in a room on the opposite side of the Hellhole, in the room adjacent to the Hellhole. It was impossible to wade through the small horde with limited actions to prevent the escape. Now with permanent spawn points in adjoining rooms, it made for a quick escape. My only hope was to catch a necromancer from an outside spawn point. Wouldn't you know it, but back-to-back necromancer cards in the newly created spawn point sealed the game in the following turn.

Be wary of the doors you are kicking in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeap.. one of the reason I modify the necromancer rules. Losing due to pure luck is not our thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Christopher
United States
North Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those extra activations are brutal...but alas they are part of the game. We played Quest 2 The Black Book yesterday, got slaughtered while necromancers escaped and we lost the mission.

We looked at each other and said, let's try that again! Great game that we enjoyed even in defeat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Rose
United States
South Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm okay with the necromancers rules, as is, for one necromancer. It creates another challenge, which is needed for the tension. I'm still not sure of the cabal rules. I don't mind a hard fought loss, especially due to lots of zombies on the board. This was just not well thought out timing. Luck is definitely part of the game, and can certainly burn you. Hopefully our strategies are enough to mitigate the bad draws. It's games like I played last night, where it took 8 tries to open my first door, and found an abomination in the one room behind it. Sometimes you play a few turns, take a loss, and restart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The cabal rules are fine, as long as you ignore or heavily alter the dark ritual rule. Without that awful rule lots of necros just means tons of spawns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Rose
United States
South Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that's what I will intend on doing. I love watching a pack of walkers outrunning runners due to the extra activations. Especially when you have them channeled exactly as you want. Moving the spawn points with the necromancer kills is a great mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Slade
msg tools
mb
I had a similar experience where on turn 2 I spawned two necromancers at the one spawn point as well as a bucket load of zombies and there was no possible way to kill them before they escaped so i decided to discard the second necromancer card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.