Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
fangotango
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a follow-up to the Advance after combat question, I am wondering how that works for Amphibious Invasions.

Rule 23.22 states that amphibious invasion combat "is resolved exactly like regular combat".

If the Advance After Combat rule is applied to amphibious attacks the same as for land attacks, I think a few problems result. In particular, if the amphibious attack against a hex is split into multiple attacks, what happens to the units that make the first attack(s) if the defending hex is made vacant? Can they advance, do they sail home, or are they eliminated? What happens if the final attack clears the hex, but the attacking units in that final attack are also eliminated from a BD or DX result?

In the Augmented Rules, when using the optional Augmented Naval Module, the attackers get placed on the invasion hex. This seems to imply that the attackers are already in the hex, and there would be justification to allow all attacking units to remain in the hex after combat as long as the defenders were cleared out. However, I don't see any mention in the Augmented Naval Module that advance after combat is treated differently from land combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Popejoy
United States
Potomac Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
GWX Dev Team
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fangotango wrote:
As a follow-up to the Advance after combat question, I am wondering how that works for Amphibious Invasions.

Rule 23.22 states that amphibious invasion combat "is resolved exactly like regular combat".

If the Advance After Combat rule is applied to amphibious attacks the same as for land attacks, I think a few problems result. In particular, if the amphibious attack against a hex is split into multiple attacks, what happens to the units that make the first attack(s) if the defending hex is made vacant? Can they advance, do they sail home, or are they eliminated? What happens if the final attack clears the hex, but the attacking units in that final attack are also eliminated from a BD or DX result?

Hi!

In non-amphibious attacks, the attackers remains adjacent to the defending hex unless all the defenders are forced from the hex.

In the normal Advanced Game rules on amphibious attacks, the attacking units are already in the defending hex so there is no need to advance after combat.

Quote:
23.22 The Allied player may invade a hex occupied by enemy units. Place the invading units in the hex (subject to Stacking Limits) on the enemy units that occupy the hex. Combat is immediately mandatory and is resolved exactly like regular combat. Eliminate all attackers if combat fails to eliminate or retreat every defending unit.

If an attacker decides to split the amphibious attacks against the defenders, each attack must succeed in removing its allocated defending unit or all attacking units are eliminated. If all defenders are cleared then all surviving attackers remain in the hex, regardless of the sequence in which their attacks were resolved.

Quote:
In the Augmented Rules, when using the optional Augmented Naval Module, the attackers get placed on the invasion hex. This seems to imply that the attackers are already in the hex, and there would be justification to allow all attacking units to remain in the hex after combat as long as the defenders were cleared out. However, I don't see any mention in the Augmented Naval Module that advance after combat is treated differently from land combat.

You are correct. In the Augmented Rules, the Optional Naval Rules on amphibious invasions (§38.5.5, ¶ b) merely restate the Advanced Game rules with additions to account for the implementation of sea control via in-game naval units, etc., rather than the more abstract and transparent implementation of naval power in the Basic and Advanced Game rules.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.