Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Hastings
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gotten one game in so far and got crushed as Carthage, need to work on my plans a bit. Love the game so far but when I opened it and saw the game board had gutters I was a little surprised, I thought the industry has moved beyond boards with gutters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The publisher isn't like an established FFG or GMT you do realize...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Linneberg
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a great looking board. Colourful, but not overworked like so many modern boards. You can still see everything clearly. I don't think the gutters will make a difference of my playing at all (i.e. nothing is folded into the gutters and hard to read).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon McVety
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Board is gorgeous. I'd have made the neutral town squares white to differentiate them more clearly from the starting Carthage locations but apart from that I love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sushidog wrote:
It's a great looking board. Colourful, but not overworked like so many modern boards. You can still see everything clearly. I don't think the gutters will make a difference of my playing at all (i.e. nothing is folded into the gutters and hard to read).

One Sicilian location is right on a gutter, and the cube won't stay in place. But otherwise, it's fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hastings
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My point is that I didn't even think mounted boards were made this way anymore, even with the most limited of runs.

It's a minor distraction but something I would address if there is a 2nd print run. I would also probably purchase the new map, I like the game that much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
WICHITA
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it better than GMTs map that won't lie flat. I busted my Labyrinth board trying to back bend it because I was so annoyed at the bow in it.

Something is messed up when you have to put plexiglass on a mounted board. I'll take the gutters or the Avalon Hill boards any day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lloyd
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
frankhastings wrote:
My point is that I didn't even think mounted boards were made this way anymore, even with the most limited of runs.

It's a minor distraction but something I would address if there is a 2nd print run. I would also probably purchase the new map, I like the game that much.

This was something that I questioned the manufacturer on, but due to the language barrier the board proceeded into production as is. Once the games began shipping, multiple backers reached out to me with examples from other games with six-fold boards. Scythe was a good example. We will definitely address this in any subsequent printings.

I have commented in the past that it is difficult to catch certain issues or "gotchas" without having produced a specific component or part before. These are definitely learning experiences and growing pains for new publishers. However, I have learned a lot over the years since I manufactured Dark Horse in 2011 for my first KS campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Counterpoint: Command & Colors Ancients and Successors, which had wonderful boards. I think the Thunder Alley and Grand Prix boards are pretty sweet and lie flat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
I like it better than GMTs map that won't lie flat. I busted my Labyrinth board trying to back bend it because I was so annoyed at the bow in it.

Something is messed up when you have to put plexiglass on a mounted board. I'll take the gutters or the Avalon Hill boards any day.

I put my hard maps under plexi anyway. I have horrific visions of a tidal wave of coffee or Diet Coke sweeping over the land. Now, if that happened, my counters would surf, but the plexi means one less thing to get destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hastings
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lgoldberg wrote:
airjudden wrote:

I put my hard maps under plexi anyway. I have horrific visions of a tidal wave of coffee or Diet Coke sweeping over the land. Now, if that happened, my counters would surf, but the plexi means one less thing to get destroyed.

Once the boards are flat then there are no problems in my experience. I'm an old school war-gamer so I have sheets of plexi that cover three of my gameroom tables (up to 4' x 8') but with games like Hands in the Sea I don't need them and I like the portability, this is a great gateway game for my non wargamer friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hastings
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowkn wrote:
frankhastings wrote:

This was something that I questioned the manufacturer on, but due to the language barrier the board proceeded into production as is. Once the games began shipping, multiple backers reached out to me with examples from other games with six-fold boards. Scythe was a good example. We will definitely address this in any subsequent printings.

I have commented in the past that it is difficult to catch certain issues or "gotchas" without having produced a specific component or part before. These are definitely learning experiences and growing pains for new publishers. However, I have learned a lot over the years since I manufactured Dark Horse in 2011 for my first KS campaign.

I suspected it was something like a communications issue, I've dealt with ordering from Asia. I purchased Hozen trays for ASL using Rakuten to order them directly from Japan, Google translate only goes so far. In the end I just had to cross my fingers and hope the order was correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.