Subject: Simple, but the Alien is a bit clunky rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Mattson
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
A very good, "light" deception game that you can pick up and play. There are a couple of things I want to try with the game when I play next, so I'll update after I get that information.

It could do with a bit more text in the FAQ section, but so could most games, imo.

The paranoia is real for the first 3-6 minutes of the round, as people pass cards back and forth. But the intrigue quickly dies down as you either become infected or become fairly certain who the alien is this round.

In it's current state, I feel that the objective score of 7 can be hard to achieve in a short timeframe. Since the maximum points one can expect to get in a round is 3-4, you will almost always have 3+ rounds of about 10 minutes. This means that you're looking at 30-60 minutes IF you're aiming for the 7-point score as an "end game". If you're just playing to play, where the score doesn't matter and the points are made up, then ignore this paragraph.

In my opinion, game is heavily weighted against the alien. I believe there are 8 Infection cards in a deck of ~50 cards. With the drawing mechanic, the Alien has to rely on pure luck to get the requisite cards needed to win the round. I'm no statistician, but those seem like long odds.

Edit: The deck is 50 cards, not counting the Satchel Charge, Secret Document, and Flamethrower. There are 8 Infection Cards, 9 communication cards, and 33 Equipment cards (satellite pieces, guns, ammo, etc).

In the next few games that I play, I plan to try out some of the following house rules:

• Remove all or (most) of the communication cards (like "Team up with me!") from the deck.
-- • I may opt to give each player a note-pad to secretly pass messages
• Deal players cards BEFORE shuffling infection cards into the deck. This prevents the would-be alien from discarding vital infection cards before receiving their role.
-- • Or potentially shuffle the infection cards into the bottom 3 quarters of the deck to achieve a similar effect.
• Increase Hand Limit (to 3)
• Improve scoring for Infected

I've tried out this already, and it seemed to work well:
• Receive role cards before drawing cards, wherein Humans discard any infection cards during their next discard phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool game, but you have to house rule some stuff that the rulebook didn't account for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Folsom
United States
Wilmore
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would human player ever pass cards? If you're in for yourself, you want to build sat cards, alien wants to pass, humans don't. If I see someone pass cards, I would be certain it's an alien trying to infect. Why give protection cards instead of leaving it for yourself?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Braine
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
The human players want to help the other human players to complete the satellite array so they can pass pieces of the array. You can also pass protective equipment cards and secret message cards to build trust among other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.