Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Tanswell
United Kingdom
Hedon
Humberside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I'm very interested in this but I don't want to have to pick up an expansion pack too soon, I plan to play solo primarily but I'm worried I will be missing out if I don't get expansions.

If this is the case I would rather just get another game altogether (looking at warhammer quest as an option despite the recent split.)

So hopefully a simple question that I'm sure has been asked a ton (I did try searching) but is the game worth picking up as just the core set alone without the plan to buy expansions till I have completed the scenarios?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno
Ireland
Galway
Galway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imho, core set alone is not that great. It's totally playable and you can enjoy the 3 scenarios with nothing more, though the 3rd one may prove too much for a long time. But ultimately, the game is all about deck building, and comes in a number of card sets, each one split across a big box and 6 small ones. So the core set is only part of the 'Mirkwood' set of cards, and really comes into its own with those 6 small decks added to it. Until then, you simply don't have enough cards to really mix it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imho, yes.
The 2 first scenarios are great with just the core.
Especially Journey down the Anduin offers alot of replay.

The 3th one was to hard for us with just the core set.

Full disclosure we do play this 2 player not solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
I got something like 40+ plays out of the core box alone (planning to get the expansions later). It's best at 2 players with that set, 1p doesn't hit it's stride until Khazad-dûm or even Heirs of Númenor (it works fine, even great at times, just not really enough variety for a complete (whatever that means) solo experience). I should note I basically play exclusively solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is dependent on how much you enjoy deck construction. I replayed the second scenario (Journey Down the Anduin) several times, tweaking my deck almost every time to see what would work better. There is some variability in how the encounter deck is set up and what order you get your player cards, but for me most of the variability comes from the composition of my decks.

If you're going to play the same scenario several times with the same player decks, then I think it's going to feel repetitive. Going with Warhammer Quest: ACG might be better for that kind of play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We loved just the core set, but that of course made us want more. We got a good 20 plays or so out of the core set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo, I've played the core set 35 times, without trying the third scenario at all. (Needs a much bigger card pool to even think about solo).

I'm buying more now, of course, but I got a lot out of the core. I've played each AP I've bought around 10 times so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO, it depends on what you are comfortable. I have the core and though I have played it quite a bit, I will admit, it really started to feel repetitive to me after 15 or so plays. Here are a couple of reasons why:

- Limited card pool - there are just not enough cards to truly experience deck building and nearly every deck had some overlap of other decks.
- Scenarios don't have a lot of variability, especially as compared to many of the expansion scenarios (one of the greatest things with the expansions in my opinion - I love the added cards, but the variability in play style across the various scenarios is what has kept this game at the top of my favorite games list)

Thus, I agree, for a bit of time the core is enough to get you grounded in the game, but if you don't plan on buying expansions down the road, then I would pass on the game.

As to this versus Warhammer Quest: ACG, I would take LotR over Warhammer. There is less variability in the base game of Warhammer and there is NO expectation that there will be official expansions increasing the ONE campaign and delve quest in the game). As much as I liked this game, this a game that need additional material, as well as Shadowrun Crossfire, that needs additional material to truly reach its potential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gtanny wrote:
I'm very interested in this but I don't want to have to pick up an expansion pack too soon, I plan to play solo primarily but I'm worried I will be missing out if I don't get expansions.

How soon is too soon?

As others have said, you'll get plenty of play time out of the core set playing solo (even if the third quest is really only doable playing two-handed). 'Plenty of play time' for me though means 20+ games (someone on the forums is on 50+ and is still happy without expansions but that's very rare).

That said, if you're enjoying the game enough to play it twenty or more times, you will want to buy expansions packs - which aid replayability by giving you new quests and new tools with which to tackle the old ones. So, how soon is too soon? You won't 'be missing out' not getting the expansions because you'll be playing a solo game and they're not required for you to play it. They just add enlarge an experience you're enjoying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gtanny wrote:
Hi,

If this is the case I would rather just get another game altogether (looking at warhammer quest as an option despite the recent split.)

So hopefully a simple question that I'm sure has been asked a ton (I did try searching) but is the game worth picking up as just the core set alone without the plan to buy expansions till I have completed the scenarios?

I felt the same way and picked it up anyway, that was over a year ago, I have only gotten up to Dwarrowdelf expansion on (Mirkwood and the next one in line) I played the core about 2 dozen times with solo decks on each scenario, then another I don't know how many with mixed spheres trying to come up with good mixes, Then I found BGG and got help in deck building just the core. Once that was done and I had a fair grasp of what I was doing (3-4 months into it) I decided I wanted more Lord of the rings flavor and started picking up the Mirkwood cycle (6 boxes) another 6 heroes and roughly 36 cards per sphere had me rolling around thes scenarios and the core for another 3-4 months, then I got the next
set Dwarrowdelf and I'm experimenting with a "singing Rangers" deck.
The beauty is you only need to go on if you want to, and there is a good after market for the core set because those have cards that have only 1 or 2 copy, instead of 3 like all the expansions do. Thus most of us have at least 2 or 3 core sets. So if you find out you don't like it you can probably recoup some of your investment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanswell
United Kingdom
Hedon
Humberside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers all, seems I should be able to enjoy the core set alone.

Once u see a good price I'll be sure to snap it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CR7
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Short answer: yes its enough!

long answer: I had well over 30 play-throughs with just the core set. Like others have said the first two quests have a lot of replayability and the third providing quite a good challenge. Additionally, There's an excellent group of fan made scenarios, designed to be played with just the core set cards, that you can print yourself, each of them does a really good job at teaching new players the game, and helping them to learn each of the seperate spheres mechanics, to further aid you in deckbuilding as you move towards the expansions. https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/66659/ninjadorgs-lotr-lcg...

If you take the time printing those off, and playing them, then you've got quite a bit of time and effort put into the core set, before you even replay any of them, let alone move on to expansions.

I recommend reading through this poster's new player guide, which is a great mindset to start off this game with:
https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/16397/guide-new-lotrlcg-s...

I usually play solo, and occasionally 2 player. And received hours and hours of entertainment with just core set cards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe people with a strong CCG/LCG background might feel differently about the core set but as my first CCG/LCG I found it a very painful introduction to this style of gaming.

The three scenario's included were essentially ranked easy, medium, and hard but I found the easy scenario extremely difficult with just the pre-built starter decks -- tactics never even got close, leadership was better but a few bad draws would destroy my chances, had best luck with lore. Combining two of the spheres resulted in even worse results given my lack of deck builder knowledge. I gave up on the two more difficult scenarios. It wasn't long after that I gave up on the game for a while.

Eventually I did get back into the game but it took FFG fixing the easy mode rules, buying all the Mirkwood cycle packs, and probably most importantly reading Beorn's Path:
https://hallofbeorn.wordpress.com/2013/01/24/beorns-path-par...

Reading the first few entries of Beorn's Path, where he just plays decks from the core, might give you a feel how well the core set will work for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clip611 wrote:
Maybe people with a strong CCG/LCG background might feel differently about the core set but as my first CCG/LCG I found it a very painful introduction to this style of gaming.

The three scenario's included were essentially ranked easy, medium, and hard but I found the easy scenario extremely difficult with just the pre-built starter decks -- tactics never even got close, leadership was better but a few bad draws would destroy my chances, had best luck with lore. Combining two of the spheres resulted in even worse results given my lack of deck builder knowledge. I gave up on the two more difficult scenarios. It wasn't long after that I gave up on the game for a while.

Eventually I did get back into the game but it took FFG fixing the easy mode rules, buying all the Mirkwood cycle packs, and probably most importantly reading the [geekurl=https://hallofbeorn.wordpress.com/2013/01/24/beorns-path-part-1-core-set-deck-building/]Beorn's Path[/geekurl]

Reading the first few entries of Beorn's Path, where he just plays decks from the core, might give you a feel how well the core set will work for you.

Yeah, I might irk some people with this, but I agree. If you're new to CCGs in general, Lord of the Rings is a very rough entry point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll know if you want more... And that's what the Core set for any FFG, LCG is all about. If you like it, cool, buy some expansions. If you don't, you're not out a ton of money.

They're all like that. I like The LCGs in general.... I think Android: Netrunner is the best... but they're all good really. I just play them at home for fun, so I sort of just expand them until the base box is full and that's that. They have years of replays in them. All of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Google "Gloom of Kilforth"!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frogfan4 wrote:
Short answer: yes its enough!

long answer: I had well over 30 play-throughs with just the core set. Like others have said the first two quests have a lot of replayability and the third providing quite a good challenge. Additionally, There's an excellent group of fan made scenarios, designed to be played with just the core set cards, that you can print yourself, each of them does a really good job at teaching new players the game, and helping them to learn each of the seperate spheres mechanics, to further aid you in deckbuilding as you move towards the expansions. https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/66659/ninjadorgs-lotr-lcg...

Thanks for linking my scenarios, but there're tons more fanmade quests that add a shed-load of replayability to the base game too - here's a geeklist:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/72931/lord-rings-card-...

cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True! There is a lot of very nice fan made scenarios. Yours Are just very nice example to those players who only have the core set and nothing more!
I still use your scenarios to demo Lotr Lcg to new players, because They Are not too hard and offer nice variation if They want to buy their own core box to start with.
Some of those fan made scenarios Are more suitable to more experienced players who has a Little bit bigger card pool.

I am personally more than happy that lotr Lcg has so active community to make these wonderfull scenarios!

I like Also a lot Feonix scenarios. They Also have interesting rule bendings!
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/Feonix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hannibal_pjv wrote:
True! There is a lot of very nice fan made scenarios. Yours Are just very nice example to those players who only have the core set and nothing more!
I still use your scenarios to demo Lotr Lcg to new players, because They Are not too hard and offer nice variation if They want to buy their own core box to start with.
Some of those fan made scenarios Are more suitable to more experienced players who has a Little bit bigger card pool.

I am personally more than happy that lotr Lcg has so active community to make these wonderfull scenarios!

I like Also a lot Feonix scenarios. They Also have interesting rule bendings!
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/Feonix

Truth, brother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.