Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just received The Duke as a gift and I love it. I see that it comes with customized pieces to create my own customized pieces. The Duke reminds me of Chess and Xiangqi, and my favorite piece movement from that family of games is the cannon/pao in Xiangqi. The cannon in Xiangqi slides any distance orthogonally without jumping, but can only capture by jumping a single piece along the path of attack. As far as I can tell, the movement rules of The Duke don't allow for the creation of such a conditional attack, but I see that there have been several expansions and I was wondering if movement such as this has been introduced. If not, then do you think there would be any substantial problems with game balance in introducing such a piece?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
Since tiles are symmetrical (with regards to each player having equal access), balance isn't too much of a concern unless the tile just has an obscene amount of attack options.

The "slide without capture" move should be fine (likely denoted with a small triangle like the other "non-capture" moves for jump and move. The capture by jumping component would likely need to be a special power (I think they are up "VI" maybe?) and explained there. It does seem like a powerful piece but that could likely be balanced out by having a weaker second side (unless you are making it like the Duke tile where one side is horizontal-only and the other is vertical-only). If you make it up, post it in the gallery as it'd be interesting to see it and hear how it plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That does sound like a fantastic piece!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
space monkey mafia wrote:
Since tiles are symmetrical (with regards to each player having equal access), balance isn't too much of a concern unless the tile just has an obscene amount of attack options.

The "slide without capture" move should be fine (likely denoted with a small triangle like the other "non-capture" moves for jump and move. The capture by jumping component would likely need to be a special power (I think they are up "VI" maybe?) and explained there. It does seem like a powerful piece but that could likely be balanced out by having a weaker second side (unless you are making it like the Duke tile where one side is horizontal-only and the other is vertical-only). If you make it up, post it in the gallery as it'd be interesting to see it and hear how it plays.

Thanks so much for this, Christian! I was actually thinking of making each side one-dimension movement only, just as you mention, perhaps with moves and attacks in orthogonal dimensions on a single side (e.g. starting side moves horizontally, but attacks vertically). I'll still want to think about it and play The Duke base game a bit more before I decide whether/how to integrate it.

danrodz wrote:

In Xiangqi, it really is . If you like The Duke, then you may want to give Xiangqi a shot. It's a traditional game, so you can find plenty of places to play it free online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:

danrodz wrote:

In Xiangqi, it really is . If you like The Duke, then you may want to give Xiangqi a shot. It's a traditional game, so you can find plenty of places to play it free online.

i've heard good things about the game but i think you have convinced me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.