Subject: How solo? If not good, what else? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Johannsen

Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All:

I am looking to take the plunge on a first tactical naval game. As WS&IM is a classic (and can also be gotten quite cheaply), it's currently at the top of my list. I am just wondering if it plays reasonably well as a solitaire game (sadly, I don't know of any war gamers in my area). If WS&IM doesn't play well solo, is there any other tactical warship game that's pre-modern (i.e., no missiles or significant air component) that you would recommend? I'm a somewhat experienced war gamer who prefers "simulation" over "game play" (so card driven is pretty much a deal breaker for me). I would be grateful for any comments or suggestions.

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Jornet
Spain
Valencia
Comunidad Valenciana
flag msg tools
The sword is the mind. If the mind is right, the sword is right.
mbmbmb
Hello

In The General magazine vol 27 #6 appeared a solo variant for combat resolution. I can send you a pdf if you need it.
In the files section there is a file, but my scan is slightly clearer.

Regards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam D.
United States
Suquamish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are solo rules right here on the geek. Check the files section in WS&IM under solo.zip.

I can't vouch for them, but even plotting your own ships can be effective solo when there are more than just one or two, you might forget what you plotted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you need scans from The General, here's the place:
http://www.vftt.co.uk/ah_mags.asp?ProdID=PDF_Gen

(there are also many scenarios for WS&IM available in this mag!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Desalvo
Italy
Country side area north of Rome
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a feder-allergic and I blame the Klingon for not having smashed the Federation in time to save us from Star Trek serials.
mbmbmbmbmb
djohannsen wrote:
(sadly, I don't know of any war gamers in my area).

Dave,

not always you need to know players in your area. To play Wooden Ships & Iron Men you can go on YouPlay.It and enjoy it with people from all around the world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Johannsen

Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, everyone! I've downloaded and printed the solitaire rules from "The General." These rules seem to be a very well thought out method for playing solo, so thank you to everyone for pointing these out to me. Armed with the solo variant rules, I am almost certain that I will grab a copy of WS&IM in the next couple of weeks (after I bounce back from a recent buying frenzy: "Air War," "Air Superiority," "RAF," and "Gulf Strike").

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djohannsen wrote:
Thank you, everyone! I've downloaded and printed the solitaire rules from "The General." These rules seem to be a very well thought out method for playing solo, so thank you to everyone for pointing these out to me. Armed with the solo variant rules, I am almost certain that I will grab a copy of WS&IM in the next couple of weeks (after I bounce back from a recent buying frenzy: "Air War," "Air Superiority," "RAF," and "Gulf Strike").

Dave

The solo rules and mechanics are very well thought out and work great. I get this one out at least once a year to play solo. I have mainly limited my battles to two or three ships each side for simplicity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also a Vassal mod for WS&IM which allows playing with people world wide, and is probably more popular and widely used by wargamers than Youplay.it (which I've never heard of for instance).

Main Vassal page to download the engine:
http://www.vassalengine.org/download.php

Location of the WS&IM Module:
http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Wooden_Ships_%26_Iron_Men

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

Great game.
Good choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Linneberg
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cundiff wrote:
There's also a Vassal mod for WS&IM which allows playing with people world wide, and is probably more popular and widely used by wargamers than Youplay.it (which I've never heard of for instance).

Main Vassal page to download the engine:
http://www.vassalengine.org/download.php

Location of the WS&IM Module:
http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Wooden_Ships_%26_Iron_Men

Youplay.it and VASSAL are very different experiences, both good. Youplay.it only has a few different games and so has less total players than the vast world of VASSAL. But I wouldn't be surprised if it has more active WSIM players. And both are free so try them both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
There are twelve of us, Sire, and I place all the resources of my people unreservedly at your Majesty's disposal.
mbmbmbmbmb
Phytoman wrote:
djohannsen wrote:

Dave

The solo rules and mechanics are very well thought out and work great. I get this one out at least once a year to play solo. I have mainly limited my battles to two or three ships each side for simplicity.

Just to be the lone voice crying in the wilderness, I never liked the solitaire rules for WS&IM that appeared in The General: way too complicated and hideously random. I did enjoy playing the game solitaire, however; but I just resorted to the old grognard strategy of switching from one brain to the other after each move!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amacleod wrote:

Just to be the lone voice crying in the wilderness, I never liked the solitaire rules for WS&IM that appeared in The General: way too complicated and hideously random. I did enjoy playing the game solitaire, however; but I just resorted to the old grognard strategy of switching from one brain to the other after each move!

Hear, hear! Now your turn. ...What did I just say?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
I didn't think the solitaire rules in the GENERAL actually made a lot of sense. As others have said, they were just too random.

I got WSIM as my first tactical naval wargame and played it for most of a decade persistently, about 2/3 solitaire. The only thing, as you lay down your move for a side, is to take a look at the board from the perspective of that side, and say "what would make sense to do"? And write that down. Especially if you play squadron or fleet sized battles, you won't remember exactly where they go by the time you get around to the other side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too have to agree about the solitaire rules. Just didn't make sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bergh
Japan
Gamagori
Aichi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lucky you... I only have one brain....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.