$30.00
matt gonneau
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Noob question: My collection consists of a core set and Fellowship sagas (no Hobbit). I've read that besides ramping up difficulty nightmare decks expand on theme and narrative - especially in the sagas. This interests me.

Is it possible to work these cards into the game mainly for their narrative dimension without pegging the difficulty meter? Can nightmare decks be played in easy or relaxed mode? A variant for this maybe? Do all the cards from a deck need to added or can just a few?...

My goal is to pull together a complete saga LOTR including standalone adventures and nightmare decks, and wend my way through the great story once again, solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tincup2 wrote:
Noob question: My collection consists of a core set and Fellowship sagas (no Hobbit). I've read that besides ramping up difficulty nightmare decks expand on theme and narrative - especially in the sagas. This interests me.

Is it possible to work these cards into the game mainly for their narrative dimension without pegging the difficulty meter? Can nightmare decks be played in easy or relaxed mode? A variant for this maybe? Do all the cards from a deck need to added or can just a few?...

My goal is to pull together a complete saga LOTR including standalone adventures and nightmare decks, and wend my way through the great story once again, solo.

Are you suggesting like a mix between nightmare and easy? Like add the nightmare cards but start with an extra resource on your heroes? Sure, why not. Let us know how it goes. Mix and match if you want. It's your game, have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt gonneau
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes that's what I'm getting at. Using nightmare decks primarily to help seed expanded or at least varied narratives. Just getting into this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tincup2 wrote:
Yes that's what I'm getting at. Using nightmare decks primarily to help seed expanded or at least varied narratives. Just getting into this.

I second Roborob, Try it out and let us know how it works, Be nice to have someone blaze the trail for the rest of us (Sagas are a ways off yet for me unless I get lots of Xmas gifts)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt gonneau
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a latecomer so in a way have the advantage of jumping in with "saga" basically right from the start - it's the aspect of LOTR-LCG that appeals to me the most. Like binge watching a TV show after it's finished it's run. Over the last year or so I patiently accumulated most of the lot bit by bit. I'm waiting on a few nightmare decks and of course what will likely the last installment to complete the trilogy.

I just finished organizing the cards in the core box with a trilogy-centric organization. It all fits with enough space left to fit Saga 6 and the nightmare decks - I think. As many people have done I flipped the insert to form two outer card storage rows with the center space for tokens, tracks, constructed deck(s) and maybe the core adventures if I run out of space on the outer rows. I made my own cardstock dividers. I'm cramming this this little crate with everything saga...

This is gonna be pretty cool..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.