Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/216407

My budget is dry, but I'd snap this up in a heartbeat, if possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sooooo tempted. Anyone know how it plays with 2?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Quicho
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been on the shortlist (which is too long to be called that) for awhile, but I don't think my collection has room for another dudes-on-a-map, area control game especially with Blood Rage, and Cry Havoc and Inis in the pipeline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Qeester wrote:
This has been on the shortlist (which is too long to be called that) for awhile, but I don't think my collection has room for another dudes-on-a-map, area control game especially with Blood Rage, and Cry Havoc and Inis in the pipeline.

That's how I feel and someone in my group already has it, so I'll probably give it a pass. Fun game though. I actually like it better than Blood Rage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gindlesperger
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a copy, and though I haven't had a chance to get it on the table with live opponents, from my solo rules playthroughs, Clockwork Wars is such a solid, unique title. Well worth a look for area control/DoaM fans. In many ways, it reminds me of the flipside of Scythe--where Scythe is an engine builder with the threat of conflict, CW is more focused on conflict than engine building.

My only complaint is that the theme is a little loose. I mean, with a name like "Clockwork Wars", you'd expect to have all sorts of steampunk automatons roaming around the board--instead, it's genetically manipulated human/animal hybrids? Why not "Mutant Wars?" or "The Island of Doctor Moreau Wars"?

And the Guardians seem to be random drop-ins from other games--a Dune-like sandworm, a magical Guardian knight, and (finally, here's the steampunk part) an unstoppable Steamtank?

And, while a cool game mechanic, the courts are thematically a bit disorienting. What does the court rule in this world exactly? Are these nobles physically present on the board? Why are they all human in a world of mutants? Because reasons, I suppose.

I remember reading somewhere around here that designer Hassan Lopez submitted all the theme ideas with the belief that EGG would probably retheme them to something else...but much to his surprise, they did not.

The game's narrative could use some serious fleshing out--or better yet, get revamped to a set of tighter elements. I could easily see a second/revised edition of the game (maybe even with the right IP) really take off.

But that's really my only reservation about the game so far. Great mechanisms, slightly confusing theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Martin
United States
Parkland
Washington
flag msg tools
I picked it up this morning. I just had to find enough "filler" for free shipping

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hassan Lopez
United States
Greenfield Center
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Invictus5000 wrote:
I have a copy, and though I haven't had a chance to get it on the table with live opponents, from my solo rules playthroughs, Clockwork Wars is such a solid, unique title. Well worth a look for area control/DoaM fans. In many ways, it reminds me of the flipside of Scythe--where Scythe is an engine builder with the threat of conflict, CW is more focused on conflict than engine building.

My only complaint is that the theme is a little loose. I mean, with a name like "Clockwork Wars", you'd expect to have all sorts of steampunk automatons roaming around the board--instead, it's genetically manipulated human/animal hybrids? Why not "Mutant Wars?" or "The Island of Doctor Moreau Wars"?

And the Guardians seem to be random drop-ins from other games--a Dune-like sandworm, a magical Guardian knight, and (finally, here's the steampunk part) an unstoppable Steamtank?

And, while a cool game mechanic, the courts are thematically a bit disorienting. What does the court rule in this world exactly? Are these nobles physically present on the board? Why are they all human in a world of mutants? Because reasons, I suppose.

I remember reading somewhere around here that designer Hassan Lopez submitted all the theme ideas with the belief that EGG would probably retheme them to something else...but much to his surprise, they did not.

The game's narrative could use some serious fleshing out--or better yet, get revamped to a set of tighter elements. I could easily see a second/revised edition of the game (maybe even with the right IP) really take off.

But that's really my only reservation about the game so far. Great mechanisms, slightly confusing theme.

Hey Christian -

Thanks for the kind words! I hope you get CW to the table soon. As for the theming, I wouldn't say that I was expecting EGG to re-theme everything. I'm a big fan of steampunk, but I didn't want to create something "traditionally" steampunk with silly robots in bowler hats. I was more inspired by China Miéville's novels set in Bas-Lag, etc. I did think, however, that the title might change!

In case anyone is curious, here's a fun interview I did with the game reviewer Tom Chick about Clockwork Wars. We spend a fair bit of time early in the interview talking about thematic integration in the game.

http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2016/02/25/qt3-games-podcas...

-- Hassan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Puram
United States
Cary
NC
flag msg tools
badge
I hate my stupid username.
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this for the first time yesterday. A really fun game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
London
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably the most amazing game insert in my entire collection ruined only by all the empty spots for the kickstarter extras.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A P
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
mb
I got the painted set a while back. I regret paying the extra for the paint (didn't realize it was only a few figures painted), but this is a good game and a solid dudes on the map game. Worth the $$.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
OCD with the Letters in the Right Order!
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
madaxer wrote:
Probably the most amazing game insert in my entire collection ruined only by all the empty spots for the kickstarter extras.

That is certainly annoying!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andrews777 wrote:
madaxer wrote:

It would be even more annoying if you'd bought KS extras and it had an amazing insert that didn't have space for them.

Tons of games come with inserts designed to hold future expansions, in some cases, room for expansions that don't even exist yet.

EGG doesn't do KS exclusives so anyone that wants to fill up those spaces in the insert can by just ordering them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
andrews777 wrote:
madaxer wrote:

It would be even more annoying if you'd bought KS extras and it had an amazing insert that didn't have space for them.

Tons of games come with inserts designed to hold future expansions, in some cases, room for expansions that don't even exist yet.

EGG doesn't do KS exclusives so anyone that wants to fill up those spaces in the insert can by just ordering them.

I almost always pitch the inserts, so that wouldn't bother me at all.

What annoys me is missing parts of a game all because I didn't even know about the KS campaign. Makes me less likely to back their future campaigns. (I have backed many, probably at a level that cost me more than I could have spent otherwise.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andrews777 wrote:
NuMystic wrote:
andrews777 wrote:
madaxer wrote:

I almost always pitch the inserts, so that wouldn't bother me at all.

What annoys me is missing parts of a game all because I didn't even know about the KS campaign. Makes me less likely to back their future campaigns. (I have backed many, probably at a level that cost me more than I could have spent otherwise.)

There are no missing parts to the game. The retail version of the game is 100% complete and not missing anything, any more than any other game that has expansion and promos released for it. (which is most games in this day and age KS or not)

Every single extra from the KS campaign is still available and can be acquired by anyone that wants it.

I understand (even if I don't necessarily agree) with this gripe when KS stuff is exclusive and unavailable otherwise, but that's not the case here at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gindlesperger
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
severian73 wrote:
Invictus5000 wrote:

Hey Christian -

Thanks for the kind words! I hope you get CW to the table soon. As for the theming, I wouldn't say that I was expecting EGG to re-theme everything. I'm a big fan of steampunk, but I didn't want to create something "traditionally" steampunk with silly robots in bowler hats. I was more inspired by China Miéville's novels set in Bas-Lag, etc. I did think, however, that the title might change!

In case anyone is curious, here's a fun interview I did with the game reviewer Tom Chick about Clockwork Wars. We spend a fair bit of time early in the interview talking about thematic integration in the game.

-- Hassan

Hi Hassan!

If my misunderstanding of this older post (https://boardgamegeek.com/article/22355514#22355514) about your experience with the development of CW summoned you here for a correction--then I'm happy to be wrong! Thanks for being so active on the forums and supporting your great game!

And I hope my slight criticism didn't detract from the overall goodness of the game--it's great! But I do think a tighter story or an IP that meshes even better (...maybe even something from China Miéville?) could
take CW do the next level...

Maybe just a bit of CW fiction would help clarify what's going on in this world, too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
There are no missing parts to the game. The retail version of the game is 100% complete and not missing anything, any more than any other game that has expansion and promos released for it. (which is most games in this day and age KS or not)

Every single extra from the KS campaign is still available and can be acquired by anyone that wants it.

I understand (even if I don't necessarily agree) with this gripe when KS stuff is exclusive and unavailable otherwise, but that's not the case here at all.

Then they would not be exclusive, thus calling them KS exclusives is not accurate. I can live with the extra charge, low stock, etc. It is the pure exclusives that annoy me.

I have purchased enough games recently that I am going to pass on this, but it is much more appealing in this case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andrews777 wrote:
NuMystic wrote:

Then they would not be exclusive, thus calling them KS exclusives is not accurate.

Brad, no one ever called them exclusives!

In fact from the start I've been pointing out that they are NOT exclusive. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
Brad, no one ever called them exclusives!

In fact from the start I've been pointing out that they are NOT exclusive. laugh

madaxer wrote:

You are right. That said extras. My mind read that as "exclusives" since those are so common.

The empty slots are fine in this case. I misread it to mean I could never get those parts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hassan Lopez
United States
Greenfield Center
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Invictus5000 wrote:
severian73 wrote:
Invictus5000 wrote:

Hey Christian -

-- Hassan

Hi Hassan!

If my misunderstanding of this older post (https://boardgamegeek.com/article/22355514#22355514) about your experience with the development of CW summoned you here for a correction--then I'm happy to be wrong! Thanks for being so active on the forums and supporting your great game!

And I hope my slight criticism didn't detract from the overall goodness of the game--it's great! But I do think a tighter story or an IP that meshes even better (...maybe even something from China Miéville?) could
take CW do the next level...

Maybe just a bit of CW fiction would help clarify what's going on in this world, too...

Christian - I totally agree with you. I think a fair number of people who play the game, or consider purchasing it, unfortunately bounce off the theme and story. An actually tie-in to Bas-Lag would have been absolutely amazing. Maybe a sequel? As for fiction, I did attempt to write some during the Kickstarter campaign to help potential backers get a feel for this universe. If you're interested, you can find the first entry here:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2002188924/clockwork-wa...

My original plan was to include much more narrative and flavor text in the rulebook, but we had to remove all of it since the maps in the back took up a lot of room. - Hassan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.