Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
On Friday, we had a player Throne Room an Encampment (relevant rule: You may reveal a Gold or Plunder from your hand. If you do not, set this aside, and return it to the Supply at the start of Clean-up.)

There came the question of what to do if on the first play of the card, they did not reveal a Gold or Plunder, but they did on the second play due to Throne Room. The rules didn't explicitly say what to do in the situation, but we decided as follows.

Because the card does not say to keep the card if you do reveal but it does say what to do when you do not reveal, the Encampment is returned to supply at the start of clean up.

But one thing I did not think of. Is Encampment still set aside after the second play, or is it in play? This matters for things like Peddler (which wasn't in the game anyway). My guess would be in-play, but I'd like an official ruling. Here is my sequence of events, broken down as detailed as I can make it.

Play Throne Room
Choose Encampment
Play Encampment. This puts it in an in-play area.
During the play of Encampment, do not reveal Gold or Plunder.
Encampment is set aside, and is not currently in play, as per the rules (page 6 of Empires rules).
Play the Encampment a second time. This puts it in an in-play area.
During the second play of Encampment, reveal a Gold or Plunder.
Encampment is not set aside for this play, and remains in play.
At the start of clean up, the Encampment card is returned to supply since the first time it was played, the card instructed that it be done.

Am I correct here? I think I am.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kieran Millar
msg tools
The throne room does not put the Encampment back into play on the second play of the Encampment card, so it remains set aside, is my understanding. I believe this is because throne room loses track of the Encampment?

It seems similar to the official example of the lose track rule in the Dark Ages rule book involving procession and Madman

http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Lose_Track_rule#O...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buggy wrote:
Play the Encampment a second time. This puts it in an in-play area.
This is one error, in that playing Encampment a second time does not put it in the in-play area, any more than playing Throne Room on Feast does.

You play it again from wherever it is, even if it can't be seen.

The result is the same, in that the card should be set aside and returned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For what is worth, less than a month old: Crown an Encampment
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.