H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am partially colorblind but the game I am making will use mainly colors for certain cards since its easier for most players to track.

I am debating what symbols to use alongside the abstract ish game. I guess for the most part it doesn't matter, but here's my thoughts.

1) I want the symbols to be easy to say, preferably 3 syllables or less and simple to remember.
2) I will color code colors to symbols, and something natural would be better but not necessary.
3) The symbols should be quick and easy to identify differently from each other.

My ideas so far (Keep in mind this is primarily an ABSTRACT ish card game):

a) Shapes. I will use the 6 shapes Circle, Star, Triangle, Square, Pentagon, and Hexagon and color code them with the 6 colors red, blue, green, yellow, orange, purple. (I could switch out orange and purple with perhaps white and black, but I was thinking of saving white and black to use for writing things on the cards?)

Issues: Do you think a pentagon would be a weird shape to use/get mixed up with either the hexagon or square?

b) Elements. This has a small advantage that some elements go naturally with colors. Red Fire bonfire symbol. Blue Water droplet symbol. Green Earth rocks symbol. Yellow Lightning lightningbolt symbol. White Wind waves blowing symbol. Black Darkness black hole symbol. So thats red/blue/green/yellow/white/black for 6 colors and fire/water/earth/lightning/wind/darkness for 6 elemental icons

Issues: I guess my main minor nitpick is that darkness isn't really an element and I worry how it would look/would be unnatural.

One thing I like about elements and shapes is that they tend to be easy to remember and easy to say. Stuff like "triangle" and "pentagon" and "darkness" and "fire" are easy and 3 or less syllables, and each system has a rhythm to it.

Anyway, this isn't a huge deal, but any opinions? Are there other icon systems you would recommend to me? Are there any color changes you recommend (for ex, I'm not crazy for orange and purple)? Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why don't you try a heart instead of a pentagon if you're worried about similarities? Or a diamond!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the following is a natural progression:

Circle
Heart (sometimes a Diamond)
Triangle
Square
Star
Hexagon

These symbols easily translate to numbers 1-6.
They are easy to differentiate.
They have easy names.

You could also go with:
Pink Hearts
Yellow Moons
Orange Stars
Green Clover
Blue Diamonds
Purple Horseshoes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, a heart is an interesting idea. It's kind of 2 points too which fits.

I guess I didn't cause I didn't think of it/felt a bit more off next to other shapes.

Will think on it. In meantime, keep the suggestions coming!

And thoughts on the elemental icons btw? I lean toward shapes since I think it'd be easier and quicker to differentiate.

I plan to have a summary card with distribution on it and chart of cards and icons btw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NowOrNever88 wrote:

Issues: I guess my main minor nitpick is that darkness isn't really an element and I worry how it would look/would be unnatural.

Whether Darkness is/isn't an element depends on your definition of the elements. :) In Glorantha (Dragon Pass, the RPG Runequest, and others), Darkness is very definitely an element.

More traditionally, void is sometimes considered an element, and black would be the natural "color" for void.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kendrick
United Kingdom
Redditch
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
Take a look at Ingenious. It uses six colours and each one is associated with a different shape (circles, polygons, an annulus and stars with different numbers of points).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on how consistent orientation is, diamonds and squares can be fairly different. If they're too small, hexagons will be difficult to distinguish from circles. 4, 5 and 6 pointed stars can be fairly easy to tell apart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, thats true. Hexs and circles may be similar...maybe I will put a dot in the center of the circle or make it a donut?

Would that be weird?

I may put a poll with some icons eventually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game-icons.net !

Tons of awesome stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McGuire
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crazybyzantine wrote:
Game-icons.net !

Tons of awesome stuff.

+1.

If the colors/symbols are going to be ranked, I like the idea of "points" on the shape:
0 on a circle or clubs
1 on a heart or spade
2 on a crescent moon
3 on a triangle
4 on a diamond
5 on a star
8 on a compass star
10 or 12 on a sun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiarnan Murphy
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride has colour blind friendly icons on the cards.
Although I think most people only notice them if they play with someone like my colour blind brother in law who actually refers to the cards by the symbol rather than the colour.
Red = fire
White = Cross
Orange = duck (his words not mine)
Green = x
Black = boom
Yellow = star
Pink/purple = pointer

Don't know if that was helpful or not but I hope it was

Edit: I didn't do the link properly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.