Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Warning that WizKids doesn't always replace your components if they're off.

I had gotten the Lost Legion expansion a bit back (739W050216), but noticed that the coloration was off on the backs of the hex map tiles (significantly lighter and obviously different). I put in a request for a replacement from WizKids, but was denied because they said it was within their tolerance and they wouldn't be able to replace it with anything that would be a better match. A little disappointed, but it's not a huge thing, just annoying that I can easily tell the difference from Core to Lost Legion map tiles.

I could've just as easily gone through their automated system, but because they limit it to 5 per package I thought I'd save them the hassle of mailing out 2 packages to get me 6 components. They went one step further and saved themselves the hassle of sending anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko J
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
Not to excuse or justify WizKids, but files section here has map tile cards you can download if you're into bit of DIY. Tile backs won't matter when you're shuffling cards to determine what you'll draw next.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/117232/cards-map-tiles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fire
United States
Warwick
RI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best solution I have seen is to draw from the bottom and place a dummy tile on top of the stack. No way to predict even down to the last one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nekku wrote:
Not to excuse or justify WizKids, but files section here has map tile cards you can download if you're into bit of DIY. Tile backs won't matter when you're shuffling cards to determine what you'll draw next.

It's a similar system to what I've seen in other games that use distinctive or double-sided map tiles and in those cases it makes sense. Here though I don't know how much of a fan I am of it, since it's adding another few steps to the process: 1) shuffle/count map deck(s), 2) draw map card, 3) sort through map tiles, and 4) place map tile. It's not a huge difference, though I try not to add complication when I can.

Still though, thanks for the link, I can actually see those cards being useful if you needed to randomly determine something happening on a map tile somewhere. Maybe some weird variant where some threats pop up across the board, destroying Towns/Monasteries/Forts/etc and the Mage Knights are supposed to protect the realm (instead of conquering it for themselves).

Wayne LaBanca wrote:
Best solution I have seen is to draw from the bottom and place a dummy tile on top of the stack. No way to predict even down to the last one.

Sounds like a simple enough solution, though it'll feel weird doing it that way. I'll have to give it a try next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeus Cat

Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wayne LaBanca wrote:

Freakin' brilliant. A gold star and an elephant stamp for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Hanses
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
paddirn wrote:
Warning that WizKids doesn't always replace your components if they're off.

I had gotten the Lost Legion expansion a bit back (739W050216), but noticed that the coloration was off on the backs of the hex map tiles (significantly lighter and obviously different). I put in a request for a replacement from WizKids, but was denied because they said it was within their tolerance and they wouldn't be able to replace it with anything that would be a better match. A little disappointed, but it's not a huge thing, just annoying that I can easily tell the difference from Core to Lost Legion map tiles.

I could've just as easily gone through their automated system, but because they limit it to 5 per package I thought I'd save them the hassle of mailing out 2 packages to get me 6 components. They went one step further and saved themselves the hassle of sending anything.

We have a diecut for the exact same tile size (needed it for a board game we were making) and were seriously considering just printing our own backs for all of the tiles with uniform coloring and art and then gluing them onto all the in-box tiles to solve this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
forgedbygeeks wrote:

We have a diecut for the exact same tile size (needed it for a board game we were making)

...you had a diecut made?! wow Where & how much did it cost?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Hanses
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
erasurehead wrote:
forgedbygeeks wrote:

We have a diecut for the exact same tile size (needed it for a board game we were making)

...you had a diecut made?! wow Where & how much did it cost?!

The diecut machine cost about $700 and the die for these cost about another $180. So about $880 total.

But we have a ton of dies for everything from these hex tiles, a larger variant of the same design (what we are using for Defense Grid the Board Game), Circles in tons of different sizes from 0.75" to 2" and a few others.

We also have a small pallet of chipboard that is about 0.10" (2.54mm) thick that we use for prototyping. That is the thickest our diecut can do. We also have a few other sizes of chipboard like 0.08" and 0.046" for some other odds and ends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
forgedbygeeks wrote:

The diecut machine cost about $700 and the die for these cost about another $180. So about $880 total.

Could you post a picture of your machine and one/some of the dies you've had made?meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Hanses
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
erasurehead wrote:
forgedbygeeks wrote:

Could you post a picture of your machine and one/some of the dies you've had made?meeple

Sure! Here are a couple.

This image shows most of our dies on the machine. On the left side is the tray under the die cut we use for Defense Grid the Board Game.

On the lower right side is the die for the hex tiles the same size as Mage Knight.

This image shows you the actual cutting side of the 1" circle pieces. What happens is you put chipboard over this side and then roll it through the die cut machine. As it rolls through, it forces the chipboard into the metal and cuts out the shapes.

On a few of the dies you will notice tiny little round metal pieces. Those are pegs. They allow us to put chipboard/paper/whatever of a fixed size inbetween the pegs to hold it in place as we roll through to get a more accurate cut.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
forgedbygeeks wrote:
This image shows most of our dies on the machine...

wow, that's neat! So, the cutting edges aren't sharp?! They don't look it anyway...do they just crush through the chipboard?! If they are sharp, how do you sharpen them? Who makes the dies? Just a "regular" machine shop, or a specialized die maker? Would that be a one-man deal or a company?

Questions upon questions, hope you don't mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Hanses
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
erasurehead wrote:
forgedbygeeks wrote:
This image shows most of our dies on the machine...

wow, that's neat! So, the cutting edges aren't sharp?! They don't look it anyway...do they just crush through the chipboard?! If they are sharp, how do you sharpen them? Who makes the dies? Just a "regular" machine shop, or a specialized die maker? Would that be a one-man deal or a company?

Questions upon questions, hope you don't mind.

Not sharp, they just push through. The black foam protects the edges in storage and then from bending.

We use www.customshapepros.com to get out dies made and use an Accucut Grandemark II for the die cut machine.

We are a 2 man shop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boucher
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nekku wrote:

I plan to make those so I don't have to shuffle map tiles. I was wondering what would be ideal material... cardstock?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.