$15.00
$5.00
$20.00
Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Fastest death..... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tommy lee
msg tools


1st round mythos, player one moves to gate fights monster and goes in on the encounter phase, first OW encounter...spend 5 monster toughness, 1 gate trophy or 5 clues..if you cant you are devoured...

fastest death i have seen
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's funny. I've had an investigator die within the first couple of turns when the devouring gate from Lurker at the Threshold opened on the location they were at.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My fasted unexpected death was someone who got devoured in their first Arkham encounter. The encounter was from an expansion so I don't think anything can quite do the job in the base game.

Given the right combination of expansion material, an investigator can die during set-up. With an extremely fine-tuned combination, the investigators can lose the game during the Mythos draw before the first turn even begins.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Ithaca
NY
flag msg tools
Vigilo Confido
badge
In the pipe, five by five...
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:
That's funny. I've had an investigator die within the first couple of turns when the devouring gate from Lurker at the Threshold opened on the location they were at.


Had this happen to a player on the first turn in his very first game of Arkham Horror. I felt like it set the tone pretty well.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:
That's funny. I've had an investigator die within the first couple of turns when the devouring gate from Lurker at the Threshold opened on the location they were at.


Recently I did an all-expansion game where the players insisted on trying to seal 6 gates against Atlach-Nacha. At one point we had Jacqueline Fine, and were able to give her the Mythos Lore skill because someone had the CotDP benefit card that allowed them to inter-move skills. IMMEDIATELY after she got the skill, the seal she had just freshly laid down (so, no clues left to use her ability) was destroyed by the devouring gate. Never before had I seen such a concentration of good fortune get so swiftly annihilated.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just two days ago... Yog-Sothoth as Ancient Evil, poor Joe Diamond entered a gate on the first turn, failed a skill check that caused him to become Lost in Time and Space, and of course Yog-Sothoth's ability causes all Investigators Lost in Time and Space to instead be devoured. GG!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a game where the starting Mythos card was The Man In Black.

(French Hill: roll dice equal to your current Sanity, for every failure you lose 1 Sanity. If this reduces you to 0, you are devoured. Otherwise, gain 1 Clue and 1 Spell.)

So I was the first player, having the very first movement phase action of the entire game. Went to French Hill, rolled 6 dice... all 1s and 2s.

It was beautiful, in a way. goo But I never went for that card's offerings ever again.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We laughed like 2 minutes straight after my friend drew

on a first turn R'lyeh gate... wow
(if the image doesn't display it's the R'lyeh other world bicolor card EDIT: Proper link to image)

Bad luck as usual...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wilson
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
The Nicholas Cage of games! Oh god, not the beeeeeesssss!
badge
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fastest possible death I'm aware of is: play Rex Murphy vs. Ghatanothoa, have a clue appear in your starting space on the initial gate opening, get 2 clues thanks to your power, then look at the wrong Ghatanothoa token. R.I.P. during setup.

Edit: Rex MURPHY. Sheesh.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KevinW wrote:
Fastest possible death I'm aware of is: play Rex Murphy vs. Ghatanothoa, have a clue appear in your starting space on the initial gate opening, get 2 clues thanks to your power, then look at the wrong Ghatanothoa token. R.I.P. during setup.

Edit: Rex MURPHY. Sheesh.


Hi Kevin!

Hmm, I don't know. I think I've got a faster one that only uses the first two (three) expansions ever published, ca 2007:

Cthulhu as Ancient One
Dark Pharaoh as herald [Nominally CotDP: the herald did not get published until King in Yellow first introduced them]

Monterey Jack has a maximum sanity of 3, which is reduced to 2 because of Cthulhu, and then to 1 by starting with the Mythos Lore skill [DH].

Jack's starting unique items make him go insane during setup, because of the herald. He opts to draw a Madness card [DH] as his insane penalty, and draws Schizophrenia, reducing his maximum sanity to 0 and devouring him before the first Mythos card is even turned over.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
KevinW wrote:
Fastest possible death I'm aware of is: play Rex Murphy vs. Ghatanothoa, have a clue appear in your starting space on the initial gate opening, get 2 clues thanks to your power, then look at the wrong Ghatanothoa token. R.I.P. during setup.

Edit: Rex MURPHY. Sheesh.


Hi Kevin!

Hmm, I don't know. I think I've got a faster one that only uses the first two (three) expansions ever published, ca 2007:

Cthulhu as Ancient One
Dark Pharaoh as herald [Nominally CotDP: the herald did not get published until King in Yellow first introduced them]

Monterey Jack has a maximum sanity of 3, which is reduced to 2 because of Cthulhu, and then to 1 by starting with the Mythos Lore skill [DH].

Jack's starting unique items make him go insane during setup, because of the herald. He opts to draw a Madness card [DH] as his insane penalty, and draws Schizophrenia, reducing his maximum sanity to 0 and devouring him before the first Mythos card is even turned over.
We had 2 out of these 3 max sanity losses happen to Jack in setup one game (did not draw Mythos Lore skill, IIRC), which is almost worse because having 1 max sanity is terrible, and is probably going to get devoured anyways.

kungfro wrote:
With an extremely fine-tuned combination, the investigators can lose the game during the Mythos draw before the first turn even begins.
Never had any of the few ways the Ancient One can awaken before set up ends (which will likely, but not necessarily, result in a loss) happen. Also have never had the ridiculous Zhar doubles crazy Miskatonic Acts loss during setup with no Final Battle happen either.

As an applicable point of rules, the Miskatonic Acts trigger when the card is drawn, so even though the Mythos cards would all have to be resolved in reverse order*, the decision to prevent the first Act by adding a doom token due to a Mystic Environment card being drawn would need to be made before resolving the gate on the card (and thus before rolling doubles, and thus before drawing the next card), correct?

*With potential special cases from double gate cards and/or Father Dagon second opening Mythos cards.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had never thought about Zhar/Miskatonic Acts before.

Yeah so it looks like:

1. Draw Mythos: it triggers a MH Act. Assume you leave it in play (why? It's the FIRST CARD of the game!!)
2. Then begin to resolve the Mythos card by opening a gate and adding a doom token.
3. Roll for Zhar's ability. Assume doubles are rolled.
4. Go to [1]

That would be a loss by Act III, yep.


If you wanted simply to trigger final combat at the opening mythos, you could just have a string of bad luck with doubles rolls on Zhar. And I guess Rhan-Tegoth could have a chain of Cultists from the bag immediately awaken him via Doom tokens. There are 9 Cultists, 3 Children of the Goat and 1 Dark Druit [BGotW] that count as Cultists too. Or you could have Ghroth herald give him a 2-doom head start.


The specific scenario I had in mind where you lose via opening Mythos card was:

*Azathoth, Yog, Shub, or Nyar as AO (so that awakening will devour you immediately, provided the characters who start with trophies aren't in play)
*Father Dagon as herald

Dagon causes TWO opening Mythos cards to be drawn. All you need is for the first gate to open near an Innsmouth vortex and/or spawn at least five monsters in Innsmouth, and the second mythos card to be a monster surge and at least five of those monsters are driven into the vortex, awakening the AO. Part of Dagon's ability is that when the terror level increases, every investigator loses a clue token, so they'll be driven to zero in time to die against Nyarlathotep on awakening.

The more investigators you have, the more monsters spawn on a monster surge. And you can legally use Mother Hydra as well, to lower the Deep One Rising threshold a point further.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Dietch wrote:
We laughed like 2 minutes straight after my friend drew

on a first turn R'lyeh gate... :wow:
(if the image doesn't display it's the R'lyeh other world bicolor card)

Bad luck as usual... :D


Is that the one where you either draw a three-hit point monster or try to jump off the cliff?

Brian
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
KevinW wrote:
Fastest possible death I'm aware of is: play Rex Murphy vs. Ghatanothoa, have a clue appear in your starting space on the initial gate opening, get 2 clues thanks to your power, then look at the wrong Ghatanothoa token. R.I.P. during setup.

Edit: Rex MURPHY. Sheesh.


In my first game with Ghatanothoa on Mandy's first turn (she was first player), she went to the location that generated the clue, so she could have six entering the OW.

She never emerged. They found her later turned to stone.

Brian
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.