Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B. B.
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
According to the rule 7.9 (p. 61) the smoke cloud of a Smoke Discharger is treated as Open/SHEAF Smoke that applies only to fire to or from the vehicle and its passengers not to any other units in the hex.

Does this limitation include fire between other units in other hexes?

Example: Is the fire of the M1 Abrams in the following picture at the BMP hindered by the T-80's Smoke/DS or is it not?

According to the rules, I would say, the fire will not be hindered (but it does not feel right). According to the rules only an attack versus the T-80 or by the T-80 is hindered. Right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadir Elfarra
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Don't make me throw this thing!
mbmbmbmbmb
Only the vehicle that popped the smoke is protected by DS smoke - it is a small smoke cloud compared to a 100-meter-wide hex. The smoke in the above example would not hinder the shot between the M1 and the BMP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Day
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Not affected. A 100 meter wide hex is quite large. It could hold over 250 T-80s placed side by side nose to tail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. B.
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks.

Then I think, the rule should be: "The smoke cloud of a Smoke Discharger is treated as Open/SHEAF Smoke that applies only to fire to or from the vehicle and its passengers not to any other units."

Delete the "in the hex". It is not necessary at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. B.
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nadir_E wrote:
it is a small smoke cloud compared to a 100-meter-wide hex.

mongoose27 wrote:
A 100 meter wide hex is quite large. It could hold over 250 T-80s placed side by side nose to tail.

That is both correct. But You can say the same about the smoke of a BU wreck. The smoke of a BU wreck hinders attacks through it, the smoke of a DS does not. Does not seem logical. That's all.

Smoke DS

BU Wreck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadir Elfarra
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Don't make me throw this thing!
mbmbmbmbmb
Your first image (of the M60) is not a traditional smoke discharger - it's a smoke-screen the vehicle makes by dropping oil onto the hot engine.

See the attached image for a better idea of scale of typical dischargers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. B.
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My argument is that the smoke of the BU wreck does not fill up the 100 meter wide hex too and that the smoke of a DS is comparable with it, but the BU smoke hinders fire through the whole hex and the DS smoke doesn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Surdu
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I love this game already and have just learned the rules, buy smoke dischargers and effects are another area where I feel the game does not match reality. Depending on wind, the M1 smoke dischargers could EASILY obscure any and all vehicles on a 100m front. I think the chance should at least be there for other vehicles in the hex to be obscured and for the smoke to block LOS through the hex in question (elevation 1). Already using a house rule for it. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.