Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Kinkley
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing X-Wing a lot recently and have discovered Heroes of the Aturi Cluster by
Josh Derksen
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
designer
armoredgear7.net
badge
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster dockingbay416.com/campaign
mbmbmbmbmb
. In short, I find it to be an absolutely amazing campaign system for X-Wing as solo or group play. So much so, that I thought I could use it as inspiration for another game I enjoy - PotSM.

As I sat and stared at my little plastic pirate ships, I wondered if a campaign system similar to HotAC could give Pirates a little more depth - something I find it needs just a little more of.

So, I started working on a simple concept for a fledgling pirate - who commands a small, 2-master and how he/she might beg, borrow, charm, and steal into grand piracy. In short, I am not there yet to put the full concept out there ... but I thought I would tease just a little bit of what I have been working on:

The engagement map shows the setup for the playing space and the entry points for the various ship groups. I really liked how HotAC scaled # of players, so I used a similar concept for Pirates. Rd. = round that the ship group enters play, Pos. = where the entry occurs, Orders = summary of orders for those ships (explained on next page in detail, Att. = attitude towards your ship[s], 1~6 = the number of players/ships needed for the ship to be included. For example, the HMS King Edward would only appear with the HMS Wycliffe if there are 3 or more players/ships. Similarly, 1-2 players (or 1 player with 2 different ships) will only encounter the HMS Meresman, HMS Wycliffe, and the Silverback.

The gold discs denote how many treasure pieces to place on the island. There is a round limit (this one will be 12~16), so grabbing gold is possible, but difficult. Gold is very important, since it is the currency for acquiring upgrades and abilities.

Instead of having a fixed AI system for all of the ships in play, I took more of an RPG route by providing concepts, orders, and motivations for the NPC ships. The attitudes of the NPCs are not fixed - but it also provides multiple avenues of engagement, not just shooting. Similarly, player captains will have some basic interaction stats (like "concealment" and "charisma") that allow for the possibility of avoiding confrontation. I fully expect some missions to use such a strategy (not this one). A check simply involves rolling 4 d6s. You must roll >= to your captain's stat in order to pass the check.

I introduced the concept of "spotting range" for the NPCs in order to give them some definition for when their orders change and/or when to engage. Size is somewhat relative (somewhat) in this game, so I thought that spotting range could fluctuate between 2L~4L - obstructed by islands, of course.

Not everyone has these ships, so I thought I would provide a summary table for the ships in each group - not just the name that you can see on the image. That way, proxies can be used to stand in for the missing ships.

To play "Sink the Meresman":

I intend for this to be a second or third mission in the campaign. Starting ship stats are low, so player ship[s] would look something like this:

2-Mast, Speed=L, Cannon=3S+3L, Cargo=4, Ability="This ship gains +1 attack bonus against British ships"
Captain Stats: Charisma=15, Concealment=17

-or-

3-Mast, Speed=L, Cannon=3S+3S+3S, Cargo=4
Captain Stats: Charisma=16, Concealment=20

All ships assumed to have a captain

I will post more as I can, I just got a bit excited and wanted to share some of it with the boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a7xfanben
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks interesting! I like how you teased the campaign - this scenario looks cool as-is, but as part of something larger it holds even more promise. Reminds me of Merchants and Marauders a little. Looking forward to seeing more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Schelter
Canada
Bracebridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, great ideas. I always love seeing how people implement new ideas for this game. Please keep sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Banville
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing the Aturi campaign a lot and would really like to get my spanish ships out of their boxes with a similar concept.

Thanks for trying to make this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
simple but effective I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.