Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Thompson
England
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It strikes me that the map could provide a lot more information that would be useful to people who haven't yet memorised the cards for all 33 locations.

Answering such questions as:

- Which locations produce wine or ships?
- How much silver does Syracuse produce?
- Which regions are adjacent via ships to Syracuse?
- Can the Romans invade Africa from their current position?

The lack of adjacency information in particular seems really remiss. Constantly digging through the location decks to find this is tedious. If the locations you're interested in are held by your opponent then you're stuck, unless you're willing to dig through their draw deck and reshuffle. I'm guessing you often want to capture a town as a stepping stone to somewhere else ... but planning this is difficult.

Would anyone with more experience with the game care to comment?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like this is a no-win situation. I think having resources and/or locations on the map itself will appeal to noobs, but irritate the veterans.

That said, I'm working on a mockup that includes that information to see if I can do it without it muddling up the map too much. I'm a bit of a hack when it comes to Photoshop, but I'll do what I can and post it once I've got something, thought it might be a while. Others who might be more graphically gifted than I are free to give it a shot, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thompson
England
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Perhaps an optional overlay in the Vassal module?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Park
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be happy to see if I could subtly indicate connections in a layer you could just open and drop over your file.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
WICHITA
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Trust me, it is not that big of a deal. I have played this game more than anybody but one guy and even I haven't memorized all of the cards.

You aren't going to settle, say, Enna because the card has a sword on it. If you wanted a card with a sword, go draft a unit with a sword. You settle a location for the VPs because they will win you the game.

Likewise, you won't hesitate to send a card to the empire deck worrying about the grape or the cart icon. You will probably hold on to cards with colonist and ship icons because they do so much (develop, build a warship, start a naval battle, pillage, etc). You will certainly hold on to your sword locations in the early going and you will keep your forward locations. You will quickly figure out when to send a card to the empire deck.

I will share my card knowledge of cards that may be helpful:

Rome:

You possess two ship cards: Rhegium and Neapolis. This is important to know as you may wish to attack Syracuse by sea or settle Corsica/Sardinia. Syracuse and Aleria also have ships on them. But you will settle those 2 locations because they pull in 5 VPs per turn and Syracuse is your supply base for Sicily.

The Pisa and Cosa cards are the cards that connect to Aleria and Olbia on Corsica/Sardinia.

Carthage:
You want to settle Agrigentum on the 1st turn, because it is the only high VP location you can reach in the first turn. (remember: turn = going through your deck). The only connections to it are both by sea: Lilybaeum and Clupea. Clupea kind of sucks as a card, but it is pretty important on the first turn.

That's really what you need to know. When you are Carthage, keep a ship and a colonist icon handy and then when you draw Lilybaeum or Clupea, chain them together to settle Agrigentum. Personally, I prefer to use Lilybaeum to settle Hippana and Panormus to settle Thermae.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
WICHITA
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
ShallowThought wrote:
Perhaps an optional overlay in the Vassal module?

The module has a card manifest, where you can see every card in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hastings
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The sea connections chart in the files section answers half of what your looking for.

Having the resources printed on the board I would be on the fence about myself, it would be interesting information but I doubt it would influence my moves much if at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jari Kemppainen
Finland
Kuopio
flag msg tools
badge
The state flag of Finland from January to May 1918
mbmbmbmbmb
The names of the Pillage and Prestige tracks should definitely have been written on the map!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.