Subject: Should I buy now? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I just started playing Doomtown, and I quite like it. I am still enjoying the preconstructed decks in the core game, but I would like to give deck building a shot. I understand that the game is going to be discontinued, so I'm wondering what I can expect that to mean for prices/availability. Should I buy as much as I can now before it's gone/expensive, or is it probably safe to wait and play it a bit more before expanding? And, of course, any recommendations on expansions to pick up? I already got "New Town, New Rules" because it was only like $6 on Amazon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So it goes.
United States
Shillington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.
badge
"You wouldn't worry half as much about what other people thought of you if you realized how rarely they actually did."
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say you can expect the prices to drop substantially as businesses try to sell of their remaining stock. I've seen sets on ebay selling for $5-$8 a piece so keep an eye out there and amazon.

I'd suggest trying to buy the sets in the order they were released as they build on previous themes and mechanics. But if you find some expansions super cheap that are not the next ones chronologically speaking buy them anyway. You'll want a complete set by the end to be able to build a variety of decks. There really weren't any expansions that I would say "don't buy" because they all have something to offer if you're trying to build decks for all of the factions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian George
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect short term prices to dip, but long term for them to go up as people try to complete sets, and the packs just aren't out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I don't intend to get too heavy into the game. IOW, I plan to always be a very casual player, but one who would like to add more to the collection than just the core set. (Because, why not?)!

So would it be best just to go for the first one or two Pine Box expansions only? Or perhaps the first two or three Saddle Bags? Or maybe a blend of the above? Or just get what's still available until I've got "enough"?!

Thx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soulblight
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry if you're fine with the original 4 homes, then 2 cores and the first 3 saddlebags (New Town New Rules, Double Dealin', and Election Day Slaughter) support those.

The first pinebox (Faith and Fear) introduces 4 new alternate homes for these factions and the following 3 saddlebags support those (Frontier Justice, No Turning Back, Nightmare at Noon). These saddlebags are quite good and things start to get really interesting. This cycle also introduces the Blessed, an alternative spell caster to the Hucksters seen in the first cycle.

After that, you get two new factions entirely with the faction pack "Immovable Object, Unstoppable Force" which introduces and exclusively supports a Kung Fu faction and a Spirit casting faction.

Following this release, all pine boxes and saddlebags support the 6 factions, with new homes for all 6 coming in the following pinebox "The Light Shineth" and the first saddlebag of the cycle called "Dirty Deeds" (3 homes in each release).

This is why it's important to buy them in order, as the releases directly build on each other going forward, supporting existing and growing themes, reacting to fan feedback, and introducing new themes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

somaluna wrote:
... then 2 cores and the first 3 saddlebags (New Town New Rules, Double Dealin', and Election Day Slaughter) support those.

The first pinebox (Faith and Fear) introduces 4 new alternate homes for these factions and the following 3 saddlebags support those (Frontier Justice, No Turning Back, Nightmare at Noon). These saddlebags are quite good and things start to get really interesting.

Perfect! That's exactly the sort of reply I was hoping for! Much appreciated. The above is what I'll put on my shopping list and I'll stop there.

Thx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything after the base set follows the "lets change all the base rules here and there" logic, which in no time opens up a huge desigh space to the game. Nightmare at Noon is kind of a turning point in this regard, as far as I can see, so it's an ideal stopping point if you want a nicely rounded down set. This is the last set that plays only with the basics. After that the game opens wide with the new factions and lots of new mechanisms, which are also cool. It starts with Immovable Object and The Light Shineth. My advice is to get everything in the long run, the game is too good to be neglected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soulblight
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:
Thx!

My pleasure! I hope you enjoy the game, and feel free to ask any questions here (or search thru the official forums at your own peril - alderac.com/forum). The game can be a little convoluting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are limited on funds, I would recommend at least buying up until Faith and Fear (and a second base game).

F&F contains decklists for 4 more precons, which you can build simultaniously to the base game ones* if you have 2 base games and all 3 earlier saddlebags.
(*) except for 1 card, which you can easily replace

This gives you 8 precons right away, 2 for each outfit with quite different strategies. Plus a whole bunch of extra cards to start adjusting them or building your own decks.

Stopping at this point does of course mean you don't get as much out of the new mechanics (especially the blessed/miracles).
Though this was the point where I first thought I had a card pool that would continue to be interesting for a long time, if they had quit there and then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon St.
Germany
Stuttgart
flag msg tools
I'm actually panicking a bit right now and wondering if i should buy a second complete playset of everything in case i still find one (or more?!) offline-pardners in the future when availability could already be dim :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Antaiseito wrote:
I'm actually panicking a bit right now and wondering if i should buy a second complete playset of everything in case i still find one (or more?!) offline-pardners in the future when availability could already be dim :/

That's what I did. I only play it with a few people right now, but I love it and I'm sure I'll get more people to play with in the future.

That's the beauty of board games: all they do is take up shelf space while you wait for people to play with. They don't become unusable in time, like for instance video games that require a certain phone/OS or server.
I've had games sitting in my collection for years before they got played. As long as you have the money and you know you would love to play it, why not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon St.
Germany
Stuttgart
flag msg tools
Teeka wrote:
That's the beauty of board games: all they do is take up shelf space while you wait for people to play with. They don't become unusable in time, like for instance video games that require a certain phone/OS or server.
I've had games sitting in my collection for years before they got played. As long as you have the money and you know you would love to play it, why not?

I like your view on this very much. Thx for the input!
Good luck with finding more people for your group! ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the responses, everybody! Looks like I can take my sweet time looking for deals!

Teeka wrote:
F&F contains decklists for 4 more precons, which you can build simultaniously to the base game ones* if you have 2 base games and all 3 earlier saddlebags.
(*) except for 1 card, which you can easily replace

This gives you 8 precons right away, 2 for each outfit with quite different strategies. Plus a whole bunch of extra cards to start adjusting them or building your own decks.

This actually sounds like an ideal plan for my needs. I will always plan to be super casual, and I will probably only have a handful of folks to play with irregularly. I was quite happy to play Magic: The Gathering for several years with just a few precon decks, so I'm sure 8 diverse decks will work out fine for me . Of course, now I'm cooking myself for not picking up a second core box when I found this first one for $8...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Teeka wrote:
Though this was the point where I first thought I had a card pool that would continue to be interesting for a long time, if they had quit there and then.

Yeah, that's it right there! That's all I'm looking for... my leisure time is far too divided, and there are far too many other games to play, to devote anymore to this game than what you and Soulblight recommend!

Thx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soulblight
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
Of course, now I'm cooking myself for not picking up a second core box when I found this first one for $8...

Yeah definitely do that! 2 cores is a huge improvement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.