$5.00
$20.00
$30.00
$15.00
Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » General

Subject: Price rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
This game looks really cool. Great components and the co-op roborally feel to the game is intriguing. However, the biggest shocker to people seem to be the price. Everyone is talking about it.

1 - LoL Gamers seem to think: "$75 is a lot!"
2 - Board Gamers seem to think "$75 is so cheap!"

I find the difference in price awareness interesting and funny. The board gamers have it right (of course whistle). The Dice Tower seemed to think this is setting a new bar in terms of price.

Here are my thoughts:
The MSRP of a board game is generally 5x manufacturing costs. (Link). Part of the reason for this is when you sell a board game into distribution you sell it for ~40% of the MSRP. The distributor gets ~10% and the game store buys it for 50%. If you remove all the middle men you could sell the game for ~40% of the MSRP and still get paid the same amount.

This is what Riot is doing. I would bet that this game produced by a board game publisher, the MSRP is ~$125-150. Riot is selling it for 50-60% of that price but still getting what they would normally - if not a bit more.

Other game companies have done this: Chip Theory Games does not sell into distribution, their games' MSRP would be too high and wouldn't sell. Other publishers do the same. There is a trade-off in volume and getting your game out there, but for some that's not a big deal.

Riot obviously doesn't have to worry about that. Today is already the coordinated press day (Dice Tower review, Watch it Played video, Rahdo, etc., etc. plus all of the gaming sites coverage.) They have the branding and assets of the #1 video game in the world to put behind it.

So, this game will not set any new bars for price/components. They just have the advantage of direct sales and a huge fan base to set their price.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Besaw
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
So c-c-c-c-old!
mbmbmbmb
$75 is shocking! Apparently they've printed 30,000 copies. Insane, but then again League has a massive following and deep pockets. Hopefully the video game crowd gets on board when as you say they feel it's expensive though we know it's a steal.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
They have a 1 million+ LoL fans. 30,000 is 3% of the LoL fans that would pay $75 for a game they've probably already sunk much more than that into. They'll probably sell out within days. (Unofficial reddit poll data: http://www.strawpoll.me/7182711/r)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RiffRaff14 wrote:
This game looks really cool. Great components and the co-op roborally feel to the game is intriguing. However, the biggest shocker to people seem to be the price. Everyone is talking about it.

1 - LoL Gamers seem to think: "$75 is a lot!"
2 - Board Gamers seem to think "$75 is so cheap!"

I find the difference in price awareness interesting and funny. The board gamers have it right (of course whistle). The Dice Tower seemed to think this is setting a new bar in terms of price.


I don't think it is setting a bar. Perhaps the DT guys forgot about Ogre: DE, although that game WAS sold at a loss.

As for the LoL people, their reaction is not surprising. LoL is free and there are many people (probably the majority) who don't pay at all or pay very little for characters or cosmetics. Plus I think pretty much anyone who isn't into boardgames would find $75 a lot for a boardgame.

As for Riot, I do think they are making profit from the game. By cutting out pretty much all of the middlemen, they are able to sell it pretty cheap. Tom also really gave the impression that this is a passion project for the people there so it is not surprising that they would sell it at a lower price than they could. But who knows, maybe it will do well and there will be lots of overpriced expansions to follow.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RiffRaff14 wrote:
They have a 1 million+ LoL fans. 30,000 is 3% of the LoL fans that would pay $75 for a game they've probably already sunk much more than that into. They'll probably sell out within days. (Unofficial reddit poll data: http://www.strawpoll.me/7182711/r)
1.) It's more like 100 million.

2.) Reddit is largely made up of the biggest fans so it is natural that the poll would skew towards more money being spent. There are a lot of people who play casually and spend little or no money, but they are also not the people who check reddit every day.

3.) A large percentage of players are international and may be in a location that it would be difficult to import to or may prefer a translated version of the game (which was said would likely come later).

I have no doubt it will be popular in the LoL community, but people are throwing around a lot of numbers that really shouldn't be used to analyze this since there are too many details to get a good sense of how the game will sell.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
Oops. Yeah so My numbers were off and your numbers prove my point. This game will sell out in a day. They will be printing more copies soon.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teik Chooi Oh
United Kingdom
Chorley
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Official forum says reprint of Wave 1 will be in December. So they are expecting to sell out...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its not the price that puts me off, its that shipping
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Castle
United States
Lothian
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The price is fare, both for a game and with the addition of shipping. Look at CMON, specifically the first Zombicide, but all their Kickstarters were $100 buy in with optional addons galore. Season one Zombicide hit relatively out of the blue and ran away with more than its fair share of money. Even Fragor with their one game a year of over the top prodution in a super niche market still can sell out a $100 game in no time, with less publicity then this. People are willing to sink serious money into games they like. This will/should easily sell out. They didn't need the LOL logo on the box, but it's a sudo insurance policy to guarantee that they will sell out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
I first heard about this an hour ago, have never heard of the video game or the company behind it, and I'm already thinking auto-buy. Well played, sir.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cargill
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
One die to roll them all
badge
One die to roll them all
mbmbmbmbmb
bortmonkey wrote:
Its not the price that puts me off, its that shipping

Agreed, $60USD for shipping is just too much for me... I understand why it's so expensive but will just have to wait and hope they get a local hub in my region to help reduce the price of shipping for future reprints... kind of wish they had done a KS for this so at least they would've had bulk shipping costs
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Castle
United States
Lothian
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL is a global game...I'm sure that after this initial print run a larger more widely distributed option will be made available.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
AndrewAU wrote:
bortmonkey wrote:
Its not the price that puts me off, its that shipping

Agreed, $60USD for shipping is just too much for me... I understand why it's so expensive but will just have to wait and hope they get a local hub in my region to help reduce the price of shipping for future reprints... kind of wish they had done a KS for this so at least they would've had bulk shipping costs
Think of it as you are buying a $130 game with free shipping. The game normally would MSRP for that anyway (or even more).

easye1982 wrote:
LOL is a global game...I'm sure that after this initial print run a larger more widely distributed option will be made available.
If they put this into distribution I'd be shocked. For one, they clearly don't need to. People will buy this game. But then they'd have to put a real MSRP on this and that may scare a lot of potential buyers away. (See the comment above about how $130 is too much for the game).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RiffRaff14 wrote:
Think of it as you are buying a $130 game with free shipping.


Yeaaah...that doesnt really help ;-)

I'm not sure what the most I've paid for a game is, but I dont think its that much.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Castle
United States
Lothian
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't ever said it would be at retail. But was simply offering the real possibility of, like in a Kickstarter, local shipping hubs that mitigate global shipping costs. And turn it into cost efficient regional areas of the globe. I know about, and have already commented on, the damming nature of a MSRP on this title.

RiffRaff14 wrote:

easye1982 wrote:
LOL is a global game...I'm sure that after this initial print run a larger more widely distributed option will be made available.
If they put this into distribution I'd be shocked. For one, they clearly don't need to. People will buy this game. But then they'd have to put a real MSRP on this and that may scare a lot of potential buyers away. (See the comment above about how $130 is too much for the game).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.