$30.00
andy bush

London
London
msg tools
mb
Hi all I'm really sorry for basic question but I'm totally stuck with Non player Belgae March and it's the only bit of the game that confuses and frustrates me. I've included a photo of the situation that has just happened - I literally don't understand the NP rule about marching away from a threat and then joining the largest group. Would anyone just be able to put it in laymans terms for me??? Thanks. Sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
buschenfeld wrote:
Hi all I'm really sorry for basic question but I'm totally stuck with Non player Belgae March and it's the only bit of the game that confuses and frustrates me. I've included a photo of the situation that has just happened - I literally don't understand the NP rule about marching away from a threat and then joining the largest group. Would anyone just be able to put it in laymans terms for me??? Thanks. Sorry.
EDIT: Well that ended up longer than expected. Skip to the second half for just the march instructions
Also, please note that march under threat is different from a march to add control, but it sounds like you already got that.

Actual Battle/March Under Threat
Both Nervi and Treveri are eligible for a Battle/March under threat since both have 3 or more warbands (4 in both cases) and an enemy legion.
Atrebates is also eligible since there are 3 or more warbands (3 in this case) and an enemy ally. It should be more than 3, so this is not right.

Then you will check if they battle in any of the regions (this happens before you check if they will march away)
The criteria for battle is that they must inflict at least 1 loss and not less losses than the enemy's counter attack will inflict. In these calculations you need to account for die rolls (I generally assume worst case, i.e. they pass all rolls, not sure if that is the correct way to do it) as well as potential ambushes/rampages from the Belgae and any capabilities currently in play.
Ambush/Rampage won't have an effect on this and I'll assume there are no capabilities in play.

Calculations for the 3 areas:
Atrebates: Belgae inflict 1 loss to the Romans' 0 losses.
Nervi: Belgae inflict 1 loss (4 warbands at 1/2 each and then half that for the fort) and the counterattack will inflict 2 losses from the legions.
Treveri: again 1 loss from the Belgae (same as above) and 2 from the Romans (1 from legion plus 1 from auxilia)

The next two bullets only apply if Ambiorix is in a threatened area, which he isn't, so go to the third bullet.
Third bullet says to battle where the above conditions apply, which is only Atrebatets nowhere.

As such this situation will result in a fight in Atrebates rather than a march under threat.
As has been pointed out below Atrebates is not actually under threat, so it will be a march, see below.

Just March Under Threat
But since you asked about the march lets assume that the Roman ally in Atrebates isn't there and a march is triggered instead:
Groups will march out of Nervi and Treveri since battle/march under threat applies there. They will also march out of Morini since Ambiorix is there and doesn't have the single largest group of warbands with him (there are other groups with 4 warbands)

The next bullet boils down as such:
Minimize the regions that the groups march to.
Secondary to that, march the group with Ambiorix so that it ends in the region with the most warbands (This is calculated before any other group marches! I think that's kind of odd, but that's how I'm reading it anyways.) If multiple such regions exist select the one that has more adjacent regions with Belgic pieces
Third, repeat the above for other groups (no order of groups given, so it's random)

In this case the first priority of selecting the least destinations means all three groups will end up in Atrebates.

Hope this helps and if anybody spots any mistakes please let me know

EDIT2: Thanks for pointing out my mistake! I went strictly by the rules and must have misread "more than 3" as "3 or more".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't the playbook have a pretty through walkthrough of the NP Belgae March?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy bush

London
London
msg tools
mb
Niko thanks so much I really appreciate it!

I'll get learning.

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shonai Dweller
Japan
flag msg tools
Is it "3 or more warbands" or "More than 3" warbands? I always assumed >3 meant the latter because there's a specific instruction further down the bot which says "3+" which I assume to mean "3 or more".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's more than 3.

From Rule 8.5.1:

Quote:
If the Belgae have Ambiorix or a group of more than three Belgic Warbands in any Region...

The flowchart agrees with a strict >.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pinner
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mb
A question: won't the Treveri Belgae ambush (they are hidden), as then the Romans there won't counterattack, and would therefore reduce Belgae losses? That would make overall losses to be 2 each, so the Belgae battle, rather than marching under threat. Is this right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marcus Antonius wrote:
A question: won't the Treveri Belgae ambush
They would if they could, but ambushes are only possible if within one region of the named leader or in the region of the successor. Ambiorix is not within one or Treveri, therefore they can't ambush there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pinner
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mb
Ahh, yes, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.