9 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Location / Quest rule clarification... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor Mendez
msg tools
Hi learned Geeks!!

I'm still a relatively new player and am playing quests in the Mirkwood cycle.

My question is regarding locations that become active but enough progress is already on the quest.

I'm playing Journey Along the Anduin.

I've got plenty of progress on the quest, 12, so once I kill the Hill Troll I'm straight on to 2A.

Meanwhile Necromancers Pass has become the active location with no progress on it.

Then, during combat, Legolas is involved in killing the Hill Troll putting two tokens on the active quest.

So, when the Hill Troll is killed, do I immediately go to 2A leaving Necromancers Pass as the active location or does Legolas' response clear the location?

And if I hadn't had Legolas involved in killing the Hill Troll, would I then have to wait to progress until Necromancers Pass was cleared before moving on to 2A?

I hope that all makes sense, I'm just trying to get it all clear in my head.

Cheers, Trevor

PS I love this game!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Missed the golden rule in the rule book, Legolas putting 2 progress on the quest would have actually gone to the location, you have to follow all the rules in the rule book if possible when card and rules seem ot be in contradiction, I made the same mistake a couple of times until people here pointed out it doesn't work that way. Legolas card says he cna place 2 token on the quest after defeating enemy, active location says place progress tokens here instead of quest until you meet its "quest amount" and thus have explored it. Bothe rules are executable, Legolas attempts to place progress tokens and hte active location sucks them in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Mendez
msg tools
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Perhaps I didn't explain properly.

I know that the progress goes on the active location. In the situation above, my conundrum is regarding the fact that the quest already has enough progress on it but I was yet to complete the other required element, namely killing the Hill Troll...

Meanwhile, an active location has moved out of the staging area.

So, when the Hill Troll is killed enabling me to move to the next quest card, which is 2A, does the active location, Necromnancer's pass, get cleared (by Legolas' action) or does it remain in place?

This then led me on to think, if Legolas was not involved in killing the Hill Troll, would Necromancer's Pass need clearing by questing or other action in order to proceed to the next step of the quest?

Does that make my question any clearer?!?

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TrevorMendez wrote:

So, when the Hill Troll is killed enabling me to move to the next quest card, which is 2A, does the active location, Necromnancer's pass, get cleared (by Legolas' action) or does it remain in place?

It's cleared. Legolas would place progress on the quest, but the location diverts the progress to the location instead. The two actions aren't in conflict, so effectively both apply.

Quote:
This then led me on to think, if Legolas was not involved in killing the Hill Troll, would Necromancer's Pass need clearing by questing or other action in order to proceed to the next step of the quest?

No, you don't have to clear the active location in order to progress the quest, as long as all the quest requirements are met. So, you'd proceed to 2A with Necromancer's Pass still as the active location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilmer
United Kingdom
Brandon
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Key points:

A:When the quest stage is complete it is resolved 'immediately' and the next stage is revealed

B:The active location remains active until explored or removed by a card effect.

C:In general Quest progress is applied to the active location before the active quest.

Applying this to your example

1.The hill troll loses all hit points and is discarded

2. The active quest is complete and replaced with the subsequent quest

3. Legolas's ability applies 2 progress to the active quest (in this case applying it to the active location)

In this example it doesn't matter if 2 or 3 is done first, either way the active location is absorbing that progress, however if more progress was applied during subsequent combat (eg legolas readied killed something else), that would the be applied to the new quest stage.

Now for your next question, No - Necromancers pass does not need to be cleared to finish if all criteria of a quest are met.

Hope that helps!

Edit ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dren608 wrote:
Missed the golden rule in the rule book, Legolas putting 2 progress on the quest would have actually gone to the location, you have to follow all the rules in the rule book if possible when card and rules seem ot be in contradiction, I made the same mistake a couple of times until people here pointed out it doesn't work that way. Legolas card says he cna place 2 token on the quest after defeating enemy, active location says place progress tokens here instead of quest until you meet its "quest amount" and thus have explored it. Bothe rules are executable, Legolas attempts to place progress tokens and hte active location sucks them in

I've been playing Legolas wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Devos
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive been playing him wrong too

I thought it was written somewhere that, if card text and rulebook contradict its the card that gains favor.
Since legolas says place progress 'on quest' as opposed to simply 'gain 2 progress' i assumed you could bypass the active location
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Mendez
msg tools
Thanks for all the replies.

It was largely as I had thought but good to clear it all up!

Cheers all,

Trevor Mendez.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Voske4000 wrote:
Ive been playing him wrong too

I thought it was written somewhere that, if card text and rulebook contradict its the card that gains favor.
Since legolas says place progress 'on quest' as opposed to simply 'gain 2 progress' i assumed you could bypass the active location

FAQ #1.00 wrote:
(1.00) The Golden Rule
The Golden Rule reads: “If the game text of a card
contradicts the text of the rulebook, the text on the card
takes precedence.”

The Golden Rule applies when there is a direct
contradiction between card text and rules text. If it is
possible to observe both card text and the text of the
rulebook, both are observed.

Example: The rulebook (p. 15) reads: “Any progress
tokens that would be placed on a quest card are instead
placed on the active location.” Legolas (CORE 5) has
an effect that reads, “...place 2 progress tokens on the
current quest.” Legolas’ effect would place 2 progress
tokens on the quest; the core rule from page 15 instead
places those tokens on the active location. Thus, the
Legolas ability can successfully resolve, and the core
rule can be observed, without creating a golden rule
situation.

(If a card effect read, “place a progress token on the
current quest, bypassing any active location,” a direct
contradiction between card text and rulebook would be
created, and the golden rule would then take effect.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.