Descent: Journeys in the Dark» Forums » Variants

Subject: 1st Edition full co-op rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete E
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks, I have been working on a fully cooperative version of this game. The system supports one-off scenarios with four characters, uses the vanilla 1st Edition rules and takes three to five hours to play.

See the file: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/137292/descent-dungeo...

Feel free to test it and post/PM any suggestions, improvements or constructive criticism. I might revise it and publish a new edition some time.

Most of all, have fun playing - we did so far.

Regards, Peter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Might actually get me to pull this out again :) (subscribed)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck with this. I have no interest in it (I hate 99.9% of full coops) but it's nice to see D1e getting some well deserved love.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete E
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
So, I noticed there is a discrepancy in the description of the length of the dungeon because I made an error in the definiton of area. As written, a basic copper game could have four rooms and four corridors (two areas) or two each, depending on whether you follow A1 or A2. I actually meant two corridors and two rooms for each difficulty level. More could be a problem because of game time. However, I am interested in your opinion on this before making a new version.
How many rooms should there be per game section (2 resulting in up to six rooms and the final room, 4 bringing it up to twelve)?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
42.9% 3
57.1% 4
Voters 7
This poll is now closed.   7 answers
Poll created by bluepirate77
Closes: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:00 am

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete E
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3 to 3 so far...I might just put in both options and leave it up to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete E
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Noticed other rules that lack clarity. There will be an update shortly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete E
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The revised version 2.5 is uploaded and should be accessible shortly. Thanks for the encouragement, everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Faulkner
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am soon going to try this version as a solo play. I love Descent, but my gaming group never wants to play it. I have a couple of questions (that maybe explained in 2.5, but I don't see it as a download yet):

1) Is Treachery not used?

2) Are Feats not used?

3) What happens when I draw an Event card from the Overlord deck, is it just discarded for Threat?

4) When you say "share threat equally among the three spots", I think you you mean distribute equally each turn, but I just want to make sure that is correct. And then how to distribute 4 Threat among the 3 piles?

5) Very confused about the T or intersection rules. To start with, I am not 100% certain what an "intersection" is, if not a T. In addition (if I am reading it correctly), if any area has a T or intersection the pattern is no longer random but instead a static ccrr. Now since I roll on the choose a Corridor twice per area, the odds of getting a T or intersection is about 50%.

6) "Place rooms and corridors so heroes have to cross rooms" ???? If the pattern is cdrcdr then wouldn't it just be a corridor with a door at the end, a room on the other side of that door with another corridor leading out and ends in a door that goes to another room?

7) Under Fill up the Map: Corridors. It says to roll a d10 but then the chart only goes to 5.

8) For Monsters it says to roll 2d10. Do you mean roll 1d10 twice and place 2 different monsters? For example I roll a 5 and an 8 for the Copper level and place a Spider and a Dark Priest.

9) Under Monsters it also states that "every room also contains a room boss". Do you really mean every room or is it supposed to read every area? A 4x4 room can get pretty crowded with the standard monster(s) rolled from the room, with the room boss and it's minions.

10) "After every Area, there is a rune-locked door". I never saw how the rune-keys are placed or otherwise how the players get past the door. Did I miss it?

Really looking forward to trying this. Thanks for all your efforts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete E
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much for reading all that and replying. Some of your concerns are being addressed in version 2.5, but I'll reply to all of your questions.

fret_gurglo wrote:
I am soon going to try this version as a solo play. I love Descent, but my gaming group never wants to play it. I have a couple of questions (that maybe explained in 2.5, but I don't see it as a download yet):

1) Is Treachery not used?

Not as of yet. I might find a use for it later, maybe in a variable difficulty context.

fret_gurglo wrote:
2) Are Feats not used?

See 1. Maybe later.

fret_gurglo wrote:
3) What happens when I draw an Event card from the Overlord deck, is it just discarded for Threat?

Yes. I left events out for now. It would be possible to put them in a fourth pile and play them like the other cards, but I'd say that leads to too few spawns and traps, so, maybe not. Some aspects of the game deeply associated with a human OL player have to be sacrificed.

fret_gurglo wrote:
4) When you say "share threat equally among the three spots", I think you you mean distribute equally each turn, but I just want to make sure that is correct. And then how to distribute 4 Threat among the 3 piles?

I meant: "Take all the threat from discarding cards and the threat left over from last round and distribute it equally among the three spots under the cards. Leave the 1 or 2 that may remain aside for the next round." Is that clearer?

fret_gurglo wrote:
5) Very confused about the T or intersection rules. To start with, I am not 100% certain what an "intersection" is, if not a T. In addition (if I am reading it correctly), if any area has a T or intersection the pattern is no longer random but instead a static ccrr. Now since I roll on the choose a Corridor twice per area, the odds of getting a T or intersection is about 50%.

I see what you mean. I was looking for a way to make a T or intersection (that is a complete cross in the form of a "+", at least that's what I meant) more meaningful than just a corridor with some blind side alley. So a branching off should be possible in the way that you have to go into one room and out again which also means monsters could come after you and block up the doorway.

That, on the other hand, leads to some less variation or less room for randomness. Not yet sure how this will be handled in the end - suggestions welcome.

On the other hand, the roll for the corridors is a d6, with a chance of 1 in 3 for an intersection or a T. So in 2 out of 3 cases, the layout d4 roll makes sense. I'll put it behind the other one.

If there are Ts or intersections in the mix, maybe I'll need a new rolling table with some meaningful possibilities. I'll work on that.

fret_gurglo wrote:
6) "Place rooms and corridors so heroes have to cross rooms" ???? If the pattern is cdrcdr then wouldn't it just be a corridor with a door at the end, a room on the other side of that door with another corridor leading out and ends in a door that goes to another room?

Yes, but if you enter a room, the exit could potentially be in one of three places. The one opposite is favourite because it means you have to get past everything in the room. Especially if you cross a 4x6 lengthwise. Or should the exit be random?

I am also looking at including the rooms with irregular doors from the campaign expansions. They might work just as well as the normal ones.

fret_gurglo wrote:
7) Under Fill up the Map: Corridors. It says to roll a d10 but then the chart only goes to 5.

Yes, because there is a 50% chance that the corridor is just empty. It's boring, but corridors are like that. I'll include the rest of the numbers to make sure that is clear.

fret_gurglo wrote:
8) For Monsters it says to roll 2d10. Do you mean roll 1d10 twice and place 2 different monsters? For example I roll a 5 and an 8 for the Copper level and place a Spider and a Dark Priest.

Yes. For the corridor, I thought that was enough.

fret_gurglo wrote:
9) Under Monsters it also states that "every room also contains a room boss". Do you really mean every room or is it supposed to read every area? A 4x4 room can get pretty crowded with the standard monster(s) rolled from the room, with the room boss and it's minions.

Thanks for pointing that out. In the playtesting it worked, but maybe it's a bit over the top. On the other hand, I wanted a lot of monsters because there should be some left after the heroes' turn. A room boss is also not, strictly speaking, necessary unless it's the area boss who has the key. I might have been overcomplicating things there.

So maybe just two groups per room, with one of the bosses being designated area boss if necessary?

fret_gurglo wrote:
10) "After every Area, there is a rune-locked door". I never saw how the rune-keys are placed or otherwise how the players get past the door. Did I miss it?

No, I did. The area boss has the key. That got fixed in 2.5.

fret_gurglo wrote:

Really looking forward to trying this. Thanks for all your efforts

Thank you for reading all that and sharing your insights. Getting a second opinion from someone who does not know everything you do about your ideas helps a lot! I will start making version 2.6 based on your hints. If you try playing it, tell me how it went :-)

Peter

Edited several times because of new ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete E
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Version 2.6 is up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lags
Australia
Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, Would be cool to see a rtl version

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete E
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be much more difficult. And this system was designed for quick one-off games where you can choose a new character for the next game. What's the use of having 64 chars and playing just four of them?
But if I find the time I might take up that challenge... no promises though.
Has anyone tried a game yet and could share their experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fluss Burrito
Germany
NW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ich glaube mit Bildern der einzelnen Raumteile, würde man das erste Spiel deutlich schneller starten können.

Ich werde diese Solo-Variante ausprobieren.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete E
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inserting the room and corridor tiles as pictures for easier identification is possible, but scanning would take a lot of time and effort. Probably won't happen anytime soon unless someone sends me the files as jpgs or bmps. Thanks for the input and please post/mail feedback if you try the variant in a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Faulkner
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've tried this system and it's pretty good. A picture of the corridor/intersection/room would be very beneficial. However I've started using a card based map generator as given by Mighty Martin with a link to his work here: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/129056/random-dungeons. But we prefer Pete's system for controlling the Overlord. It's a combination of the 2 works that we have played a couple of times.

Pete, I would bet that Martin would not mind if you took the images from his cards to create your die rolling system (I would ask first though). But I will tell you the biggest advantage to the card system vs the die system is controlling the number of pieces being used. With the die system it would be possible to run out of a certain type of corridor/intersection/room where the card system only has so many of that type to hand out.

Now Martin's system has a couple of disadvantages too, that I think Pete's excels at. The biggest being the progression of monster levels. With Martin's it is possible to find a dragon in the very first room, although slim it is still a very scary thought. And unlike Pete's system it has no progression nor an end boss.

I think both people have done an excellent job and both are very playable individually, but we like to mix the two systems together to create a random dungeon with worthy adversaries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete E
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much, Nathan, I appreciate that. For me, running out of tiles was not such a problem because I own the whole first edition, so there are plenty of rooms and corridors. So for now I would say re-roll if necessary. If you get to the third or fourth room and you have a glyph and no tactical need to retreat, you might even break up and re-use the first tiles. Just leave the last blind corner behind the group for spawns.
I do like games with a lot of card decks to draw from but would not add another one to Descent if it can be avoided.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete E
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The next version is up, I made the game shorter and faster and simplified it a bit. I would like to read your thoughts on it.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/148365/peters-fully-autom...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An interesting read through. I wish it was a little more forgiving for those who don't own every expansion (I lack Altar of Despair and Tomb of Ice), but I'm sure that with tinkering, your spawn lists could be replaced.

With a simple AI, I wonder if map turns could be simulated for a full Road to Legend campaign done this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete E
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We discussed that shortly above, and it would be nice. But I personally think that RtL depends too much on the OLs strategy regarding the movement of LTs and the leveling up of monsters. That is a lot of choice and style in there that it would be very hard to simulate. My system just generalizes and automates some rather obvious tactical choices. So I think you would need a very different approach for this to work with RtL. You could of course try using it on the actual dungeons and making the choices for the OL inbetween that you think would be useful (during the map turns).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.