Subject: "speed" painting the game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
I've loved painting miniatures, and typically take a bit of time to make sure they look really nice. For this game, though, I've got 2 sets to paint, and we're trying to play it at our game night the first Friday of October. So, instead of taking lots of time with lots of shading and layers, I'm going to paint it as quickly as I can. Base colors, washes, and a couple of highlights here and there (mainly on the black and dark colors to help the details not get lost).

One thing that I have at my disposal is an airbrush. I bought it last year, and it has been really helpful for certain things. For this game, with the creatures that are different variations of skin tones, it's going to really come in handy.

Last night I got to work on Pride and the abominations. I used the airbrush to give them all a few skin tones, and then came back in with a little pink/purple, and then green and yellow. From there, I hand painted in the teeth, mouth, and a couple of other very small details. The abominations were washed with army painter strong tone, and the abomination washed with a very diluted mix of strong and soft tone. It took me about 5 hours (not counting priming)for the 7 models. Considering how many tenticles there are on Pride, I think it would have taken longer without the airbrush, and the results wouldn't be as good. I still have a couple of details to do on Pride, mainly the eyes, and will probably put a few highlights on the head to brighten it up a bit, but overall I'm happy with how it turned out.

I already did the heroes (don't have pictures at the moment), but it took 5-6 hours to do the 8 of them, and that was all with a brush. I'll likely use the airbrush on the other sins/abominations, and probably on most of the acolytes to get their main color, and then brush on the other colors. I'll be adding more photos as they are finished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This would be pretty fast, although yours look a lot better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go big or stay home. Even applies to model painting. I like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sammy
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Those look really awesome Mark!

I may have to buy an airbrush one day...they do seem to be very handy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
For the heroes and hell club, I didn't use the airbush at all, just old fashioned brush painting. I did base colors and a wash pretty much exclusively, except for the black parts, which got a highlight layer or two in order to make the details visible from the board.

I had an interesting experience with the eyes. I used a micron pen to do the black dots, which I've done before. Usually, though, I don't wash the face, I'd paint in the layers. Well, for these, I put a wash over everything, and the eyes melted away. Once I realized this was happening, I switched to a brush for the eyes. For a few of the heroes I just left it as is, rather than going back and redoing the face. I can't paint the figures without wearing a magnifying visor, so I sure as hell won't be able to tell when they are on the board.

I decided to do the bases up to look like asphalt, and then added the colored ring based on figure type. Hell club gets dark red, acolytes brown, abominations grey, controller and avatar black.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D
msg tools
You're doing way better than me, I've finished painting Morgana and I've painted Thorley's torso. And that's it so far .

What did you use for texturing your hero bases? I've been using Vallejo Black Lava, which I really like for getting some finer texturing in, but I feel like the base still needs a little something more. I really like the bigger rocks you've got on some of your bases.

Are the glossy areas of the abominations a special kind of gloss paint? Are they still wet? Or did you put a gloss varnish on them? Looks cool, makes them look slimey.

I need some big junk plastic parts to practise my air brushing on. I've only ever used it for priming, but the big guys seem like a lot of work with a brush.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
Anything glossy would either be something wet, or just the paint, I didn't use anything special for that. I have noticed that using the liquitex glaze medium makes things pretty glossy, but I didn't use it for any of the ones I've posted photos of.

For the base, I have a little container of scenery rocks from some company (maybe gale force 9), and 2 containers of sand. One is sand I sifted from a park playground, which is somewhat gritty and different sizes. The other is play sand from my son's preschool, which is very fine and uniform. For these, I've been putting down elmers glue, placing a couple of the small rocks, a sprinkle of the course sand, and then a big pinch of the fine sand. Once that's dry, I paint it with a watered down almost black grey, then drybrush light grey.

As for the airbrush, it can be frustrating sometimes, but for larger figures, or bulk figures with the same color scheme, it's amazing. If you paint a dark color from below, than a light color from above, it's amazing how nice it can look without having to do any details. The key is really learning to get the consistency of your paint right. I find that every color needs a different amount of water, and sometimes it just goes wrong. For these figures, though, it is saving SO much time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
Time for more big guys. For these, I used the airbrush again. I started with a deep purple from above, which (since I primed white)was designed to give it some shadow, and to fill in the spots I wouldn't hit with lighter colors, so there weren't any random white spots on the bottom. Unfortunately, this made the rest of the layers come out much more purple than I had intended. I tried to get it to more of a flesh tone, but both of the flesh tone paints I tried were giving me nothing but trouble in the airbrush, so I just decided to embrace the slightly purplish color scheme. I used a brown wash for some of it, and a brown wash for the fleshier colored areas, which helped to separate the colors a bit more. I made sure not to wash the 2 bulges on the back of the avatar, so they stand out a little more.

I did use a glaze medium with some red on the tongue, which turned out to be a big disaster at first. Then I accidentally put way too much on, and it kind of glopped around, and then looked kind of cool, so I just decided to do that.

I like how it looks kind of glossy, so when I put the matte coat of varnish on, I'm going to go back and brush on some gloss varnish for the tongues.

I just have 2 more sets of acolytes to go, then varnishing. Hopefully it won't be too humid this weekend or early next week, game night is in 10 days and by golly I'm going to play this game painted!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb

A couple of photos showing the airbrushing about half way through. I ended up doing 2 layers after this, one light grey and one white, both from above to try to avoid spraying any of the darker areas. Each layer was thin enough, even after the white, the lightest shade was still a light grey. After the wash it darkened up a little more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.