Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Denis Davydov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

We are creating organizers for board games. Recently we've "discovered" that our knowledge of modern board games that are popular right now is not as vast as it seemed to us =)

So, would you advice please - what "hot" board games really need organizers at the present time?

Thank you very much in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on it you want to compete with guys like Broken Token, in which case, look at what they do and do that.

Or if you want to avoid competition, look at what they do and do other games that are highly rated and therefor likely have many owners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiai Weidemann
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After checking out Broken Token, look at Game Trayz. http://www.gametrayz.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Davydov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks greatly!

Definitely a good approach to just check what others do in the same sphere. Both of these companies do a great job!

Still interesting what games are good targets for organizers right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Maravola
United States
South Elgin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tyrants of the Underdark could use one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Yellowbeard
United States
Winston-Salem
NC
flag msg tools
You're either born a pirate or not! It's in the blood...
mbmbmbmbmb
DeriusDen wrote:
Hi guys,

We are creating organizers for board games.

You can always begin with universal organizers for card games like Dominion, Legendary, or Sentinels of the Multiverse. Game frames are also a good entry point Catan, Twilight Imperium, and Belfort are good examples of games with modular component boards.

Can you please tell us what materials (wood, acrylic, etc) and manufacturing methods (laser) you will employ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Davydov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the ideas!

We are using laser, as for materials - probably it will be HDF and acryllic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
I turned Old & Chaotic Evil Bob to Lawful Good (for a day...)
mbmbmbmbmb
You might contact some publishers to work with them on their upcoming games, especially on being included as a stretch goal for a game being kickstarted by a major game developer. (Or even a minor game publisher with a great game idea.)

They get the money to pay you upfront. You know exactly how many to make. That would be a win.

Other than that, bgg is a fantastic resource to see what games are selling, and searching the forums for those games that people love but hate the insert. We tend to be a vocal bunch here about our beloved games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and if you are serious about building a company that creates inserts, go to EssenSpiele in Essen Germany in October, or at least follow it on bgg. That's where the upcoming games that will come out over the next year and become big hits can be found.

Watch the game demonstration (demo) videos on BGG.

See what games with a multitude of parts hit the leader board and the hotness during Essen. Pay attention to the games that sell out the fastest.

I feel that most people are more likely to buy an insert for a new game they are excited about than for a game they've already had for a while. But, I could be wrong.

You can also run polls on bgg to narrow down which games people are most likely to buy inserts for.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeriusDen wrote:
We are using laser, as for materials - probably it will be HDF and acryllic.

I just bought a Broken Token organizer the other day, and I'm not sure if I really want to use it. Wood and wood products seem like they would be too acidic to store with paper and cardboard. I would love to see organizers in acrylic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Davydov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for advices!

Starla Lester, by the way, where is a suitable place on BGG to make such polls? I'm not that familiar with BGG, so, honestly speaking - I just don't know! =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the frontpage/homepage look for the "forums" section and the "post" link.

Click to post and in the window that comes up there is a dropdown arrow.
You could select the "recommendations" forum, or the "general gaming" forum, or any other forum that looks promising.

The green check mark icon lets you insert a poll.

I hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
CapnYB wrote:
DeriusDen wrote:
Hi guys,

We are creating organizers for board games.

You can always begin with universal organizers for card games like Dominion, Legendary, or Sentinels of the Multiverse. Game frames are also a good entry point Catan, Twilight Imperium, and Belfort are good examples of games with modular component boards.

Can you please tell us what materials (wood, acrylic, etc) and manufacturing methods (laser) you will employ?

I think having a general organizer which fits standard-sized sleeved cards with flexible options for divider placement is a superb idea. Perhaps have an option for a small box for non-card components which can easily slot into the organizer, and I'd imagine that would be useful for so many games that it seems like a natural fit for your catalog.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Davydov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, we are thinking in this course too. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Adelman

Saint Louis
Missouri
msg tools
designer
mbmb
Maybe if BGG allowed organizers and accessories into their database, it would be easy for everyone to see what options are available for specific games. :| The still wont allow storage accessories specific to games on the site...sad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.