Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Combining two expansions question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Intya Del
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found a deal that seems good: the base game, plus the Lurker in the Threshold and The Dark Pharaoh. I was thinking of buying it, just wasn't sure if I could play the game with those two expansions at the same time. Are they compatible or not? Any insight?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Ramsey
United States
Grove City
OH
flag msg tools
badge
Hush
mbmbmbmbmb
Intya wrote:
I found a deal that seems good: the base game, plus the Lurker in the Threshold and The Dark Pharaoh. I was thinking of buying it, just wasn't sure if I could play the game with those two expansions at the same time. Are they compatible or not? Any insight?

Sure you can. All the expansions are "compatible", and some of us play with all of the expansions mixed in at the same time. It is just that they may dilute each other a bit. I don't think that will be an issue with two of the small box expansions, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Intya,

Generally, any and all expansions work well together. Unfortunately, the more you add, the more it suffers from dilution. With two expansions, it's negligible. If you ever get to a point where you add more, I'll pass along a variant which staves off some of the dilution and the nasty effects of ending far too quickly.

Cheers,
Joe

ninja by Bobby
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dilution is mostly a matter of expansions maps not seeing much use... not an issue with two small boxes. That mix should work fine.

When it becomes too easy to beat, THEN you add a big box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the great things about Arkham is that not only are the expansions compatible, they're somewhat modular and if you're willing to drop a subset of the new cards, you can even split out parts of an expansion and only play with bit of it. You don't like the Patrols in Curse of the Dark Pharaoh? Great, take them out and keep the Exhibition part. Pick and choose the bits you like or go all-in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're all designed independently, and save for rare rules oddities, all expansions should work together.

"Dilution" is a rich discussion, depending on what kind you care about: thematic, secondary mechanical, or primary mechanical.

Small box expansions like Lurker and Dark Pharaoh don't suffer from primary mechanical dilution (i.e.: mechanics that both depend on frequency of expansion material draws and which also drive critical expansion mechanics, like gates opening in Dunwich needed to trigger Dunwich's mechanisms). The exception is King in Yellow's "Next Act" mechanic, which will die off quickly with added expansions.

A great but costly way to solve all primary mechanical dilution and most secondary mechanical dilution is to get the Miskatonic Horror expansion.

Thematic dilution can't be countered, but I look at it from a "spice of life" perspective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are also streamlined scenarios:
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/69008/introductory-and-ex...
They try to make the game more thematic and also are newbie-friendly .
The first scenario uses only the base game, the second is tailored for Curse of the Dark Pharaoh.
Some of them make use of optional cards from other expansions, but which aren't essential.

Catweazle has made playthroughs of some of these:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh-FZRH6EBIWhhHw5v645Kg/pla...

You also should look for the Dunwich expansion, wich besides other interesting things comes with the madness and injury cards. Those let you prevent the loss of half of an investigator's items if they ever were to loose all their sanity or health.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Intya Del
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thank you all for your answers, I have never played the game and was kind of confused with all that I read about "dilution". Now it's all clearer, so I decided to buy the game!
By the way I checked the streamlined scenarios Mondkalb suggested, and it seems like a very good idea!I'm certainly going to try it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Finazzo
United States
St. Louis
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never picked up any of the small expansions other than the original Dark Pharaoh. It had two methods of using it where you could use just the cards from that expansion in place of the base cards (I think it was Traveling vs. Permanent Exhibition). Did the other small box expansions use a similar mechanic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frantic Ferret wrote:
Did the other small box expansions use a similar mechanic?

Yes and no.

King in Yellow also introduced that play variant, but it was brutally hard because it concentrated the Next Act cards.

The following two expansions, Black Goat and Lurker, did not offer this variant in their rules, but of course there's nothing supporting nor preventing its use in any small expansions.

Finally, the revised version of Curse of the Dark Pharaoh no longer mentioned the variant in their rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K J
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can combine 2 or 1 or absolutely each and every one of the expansions.
But when you´re new to the game the best is to just play the base game a few times till you feel familiar with it before you go for any expansions. And when you do go for expansions, go one by one till you feel good with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.