Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Webb
United States
Edmonds
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why does everyone think the big box is supposed to be a secret? It is mentioned on the very first page of the rulebook as to whats in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
It's the final boss mini, Tom Vassel spoiled it (with a warning that is)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The box is sealed by piece of tape and the game at the beginning encourages you to not open the sealed stuff before you are asked to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teik Chooi Oh
United Kingdom
Chorley
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigGameGeek wrote:

Also,

...revealed in another video that it appears first in 3rd scenario...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Webb
United States
Edmonds
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chooi wrote:
bigGameGeek wrote:

Also,

...revealed in another video that it appears first in 3rd scenario...

There is no reason for any of this to be a spoiler is my point though. It is literally mentioned what it is on the first page of the rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think it is about not knowing exactly how it looks like, tantalizing you with that axe sticking out. In recent article on polygon.com, this game's producer Chris Cantrell said:
Article wrote:
"I think that the Legacy mechanic is probably the best innovation in board games in the last five to ten years," Cantrell said. And that’s saying a lot, because it’s been a great five or ten years. I remember when we were first starting working on the project and I was watching a presentation Daviau did on YouTube. There was this moment when he talked about skin conductivity tests being done over at MIT on people who were playing board games. They wanted to find out where the excitement was.

"Turns out, the excitement was at its absolute highest as people were unboxing the game. And then people go to learn the rules and that’s kind of where fun goes to die. At the time Pandemic: Legacy hadn’t even come out yet, but that really resonated with me as a player."

Cantrell said that Riot doesn’t ask players to destroy cards or write on the game board like Daviau’s Legacy series does, it does have mysteries packed away inside the box. The biggest one is inside a large, sealed container — much larger than the pre-painted hero figures already in the game box — that seems to have something inside that’s trying to cut and slash its way out.

Cantrell said he’s sure that spoilers will leak out soon enough, but he hopes players will keep what’s inside that box a secret until the game tells them it’s okay to open it up at the table.

"It’s easily the most expensive piece in the game," Cantrell said. "And there was a very compelling argument that we should use that as part of our marketing push, but frankly it was less about selling units and more about preserving this magical experience for players."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And both Dice Tower and Man vs. Meeple showed it in their reviews without a spoiler warning shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dice Tower did a quick warning. Really, really quick, like when people do just one knock on the door and immediately enter the room and then they are surprised when you are naked.

As for the surprise in the box,
LoL players will immediately recognize the boss character, so there is certain "wow" factor of suddenly playing against him (Or with him? I don't know how the game goes), when you didn't even expect him to be in the game.
For the rest of us, it won't have such an emotional impact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.