9 Posts

Elder Sign: Omens of Ice» Forums » Rules

Subject: Losing Stamina for Tasks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
AGN1964 AGN1964
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In older versions of ES, you could not attempted an Adventure if you could not give up the Stamina to complete it.

What happens in Omens of Ice?

I had 3 stamina and attempted a facedown card that had storm tokens on it. I flipped the card and the storm tokens. I lost 2 stamina to the storms, so now I had one stamina. The last task on the card required me to give up a stamina and the failure penalty was give up two stamina. Either a success or failure would be the end of me.

What happens? Am I kicked off the card, after resolving the storms and before rolling on any task? Is that a fail (since I already started the adventure a little bit)? A fail that would kill me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I play you've already gone out on the adventure, and yes, the weather and the penalty killed you.

Anyway I believe once you go to an adventure, there's no turning back and you must fully resolve the success or failure. I don't have the book with me to quote an actual rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AGN1964 AGN1964
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems a bit more heroic to die succeeding on the final task than not doing the task at all and dying from the failure penalty. Change it to a sanity loss problem and it matches many of the Pyrrhic victories in Lovecraft's stories.

But, RAW, I agree with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
#MeToo
mbmbmbmbmb
AGN1964 wrote:
It seems a bit more heroic to die succeeding on the final task than not doing the task at all and dying from the failure penalty. Change it to a sanity loss problem and it matches many of the Pyrrhic victories in Lovecraft's stories.

But, RAW, I agree with you.

Rules about not being allowed to attempt a task having a San / Sta cost you cannot afford are unchanced in OoI, so, once you resolved the storm effects, noticing you couldn't attempt by the rules the task forcing you to lose Sta, you had to fail the adventure, suffering the penalties. The fact that the penalties could kill you it's an independent effect.

This said, it's no mystery that Sam posted on this forum that he endorses the houserule allowing players to die resolving tasks (more epic and fun imo as well), but this is, and remains, a houserule
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Bailey
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As Julia said, I prefer house ruling for heroic sacrifice. But if you want to play rules as written, your investigator just gives up and dies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AGN1964 AGN1964
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like we got it right:
We thought the RAW meant you failed the adventure (death in this case).
We ignored that rule and played on, attempting a heroic death.

Thanks guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AGN1964 AGN1964
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PS, if someone could point me to Sam's house rule post, I'd like to read it case there are other nuggets in there. I read all the rules posts here before asking my question and totally missed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AGN1964 wrote:
PS, if someone could point me to Sam's house rule post, I'd like to read it case there are other nuggets in there. I read all the rules posts here before asking my question and totally missed it.

It's two posts above yours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Godfrey
France
Lissac
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use something smilar, only that cards that are already face up can't be attempted as per the rules, as basically, you know what you're walking into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.