Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Larson
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a new co-op game to play with my son. We've played plenty of Mice and Mystics, so he wanted another fantasy themed co-op game, so I thought this would be a good fit for us since we've played a lot of Imperial Assault. I know they are different, yet also similar enough where the rules should come easy. My question is, what is the best way to learn how to play Descent using just Road to Legends? As of now we are only planning on playing co-op and never with an overlord. Do I need a firm grasp of the original rules, plus the Road to Legends rules? Or will focusing mostly on the Road to Legends rules be enough?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Pede
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
chewie456 wrote:
I'm looking for a new co-op game to play with my son. We've played plenty of Mice and Mystics, so he wanted another fantasy themed co-op game, so I thought this would be a good fit for us since we've played a lot of Imperial Assault. I know they are different, yet also similar enough where the rules should come easy. My question is, what is the best way to learn how to play Descent using just Road to Legends? As of now we are only planning on playing co-op and never with an overlord. Do I need a firm grasp of the original rules, plus the Road to Legends rules? Or will focusing mostly on the Road to Legends rules be enough?

If you've played IA, you've pretty much played descent. The game manual will cover everything for that you should already know, for the most part. Road to Legend has it's rules online with a link from the app. DL the app and go for those rules first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Goodnight
United States
Newmarket
NH
flag msg tools
RtL does suggest that you get to know the regular rules first. There are lots of let's play videos on youtube that might be able to help. I can post a few when I get home, of you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The basic rules of Descent and IA are pretty much the same, so just get to know the small differences and you are more than good to go.

There is also a tutorial in the app that walks you through the app game-play step by step and then there are one or two things that work different than in the normal rules, so imo you only need to know a few terms like "engage" "spot" "retreat" and can pretty much start the app.

If you manage to play IA, I can pretty much garuantee you that you won't have problems with the app from the get go, let alone grasping the game, as the app is much easier than IA (and even comes with an easy setting).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.