51st State: Master Set» Forums » General

Subject: Differences? Between existing game and master set? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
fugazi70 fugazi70
msg tools
mb
I have the original 51st state, winter and new era
Will there be any difference from this version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrej Medved
Slovenia
Kozina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if you have all expansions .. and you like it. No point of changing for the new one.

If on the other hand you have problems with getting others to play it (to complex, etc.) its a good change.

It's just more of the same but with easier rules. I like both games the same. My friends like the new one better because it's less rules to remember

I will sell my old version because I don't have winter/new era expansions but I have them in the master set now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Cosgrove
United Kingdom
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The new game is significantly more streamlined and is massively easier to teach, yet at the same time keeps almost everything that made 51st state so excellent.

as an example, it gets rid of the rule of 3 completely, but instead enshrines that the whole point/engine building concept of the game is so much of a race, that games very rarely last more than 4 rounds, hence the rule is in some way enshrined in the pacing of the game, just you have removed the fiddly micro-management of it.

I've sold my copy of the original game pretty cheaply at a local conference, as I was happy to let someone else get a chance to play such a great game, but I feel the new version is a really significant upgrade so am very happy with that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Ahr
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised!
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had known this existed, I would have gotten it instead of the core version. I went after it mainly because my game group really loves Imperial Settlers, and I really love the flavor of this game. I've been hesitant to bring it up, though, because it's significantly more complex than the aforementioned game. Honestly, I just want it for the faction boards alone. Those would single-handedly make the game infinitely more teachable as they're so similar to the faction boards from Imperial Settlers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.