Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Russell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
*Note: this entry us for entertainment but does reflect personal experience. It does not reflect a rating for the game, or how to play.*

"So Mys. Vale, I would like to thank you for this exclusive interview."
"My pleasure."
"Can I ask about the strong bleach smell upon opening your lid?"
"That would be my plastic cards, 80 to be exact. Why? Is it bad, should it smell like fresh linen or something?"
"Ahhh. No, as long as it's not the foam insert from the first printings of Pandemic, that was a bad smell."
"Good Gaia no, my smell will go away."
"What is your box crush test?"
"Not sure what you mean. It is not double wall corrugated if that's what you mean."
"I mean, how many games is it safe to stack on top of it before crush time?"
"Look you mad meatwad, just stand it upright or test it yourself. Sorry, continue."
"Okaaaaaay. So what do you do for fun?"
"I like to cruise down the highway, cards blowing out of my box in the wind."
"Seriously?"
"There seems to be a vale between you and my sarcasm, huh?"
"I hear your plastic card may curl like shrinky dinks in a hot car?"
"Don't know, would like to pop them in the oven then?"
"Moving on, your artwork is quite pleasing to the eye. Family friendly as well?"
"There are no ents ripping the intestines from druids and using them to lasso a stag if that's what you mean."
"That's good to know, . . . I think. On to what makes you tick. What is your personality like? Cooperative, confrontational, . . .?"
"Neither of those really. Unless you consider buying cards you know an opponent wants a 'take that' quality. Competing for victory points by pushing your luck and sleeving valuable cards together is my style."
"So I understand victory point tokens also act as an end game timer. Can you talk a bit about that?"
"Sure, that timer will begin after players have run through their clan deck at least once and bought cards with blue victory point icons. The more victory point cards played, the faster time runs out."
"Are all the cards sleeved?"
"No, just twenty starter clan cards per player. These make the card crafting mechanic possible."
"Since you use only 12 of the level 1 achievement cards each game for two players, these may vary game to game. Any more ways for variation to come?"
"Yes, an expansion and a worker placement game that uses card crafting known as 'Edge of Darkness'."
"Sounds good. Thank you for your time Mys. Vale."
"Sure, see you next time Mr. Meatwad."

What does anyone think of game interviews like this? This game is another favorite of my collection I would play anytime, but realize it is not for everyone due to individual views of fun or great games. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bleach smell? I didn't have that when I opened mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Russell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I have many plastic card games such as Ziggity, Gloom, and Swish and never had that smell. Maybe it was just a rare incident, but it went away after a couple days. Maybe the card shrink wrap was the cause, not sure. Didn't bother the game, just found it odd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Didn't smell too bad to me.

As for the interview, that's an entertaining way to review a game, and is easier to read. Shorter sentences, more dynamic, and lest lenghthy bulks of text (that I'm famous for) to turn people away.

While there is way too much sarcasm to my taste, I like that the interview doesn't go through the rules, I did not caree about the weight question but the artwork one is relevant, the "what do you like to do" is not necessary but if you want to keep a humorous tone then that's fine, and I like that you mentioned the VP end trigger and the 12 lvl advancement, as these are two of my main gripes with the game.

Overall, a lot of information in a short and easy to read article, with a small amount of space spent to instill a mood I'm not too found of.

I'd say keep on that path and let it grow into something more mature over time. I like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Russell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much for the constructive criticism, just what I was looking for.
I apologize for the overdose of sarcasm, I intend to keep each interview a bit different.
Also hope to do games without an overflow of reviews or new games such as Codex, Super Hazard Quest, and old games that are a bit overlooked.

Not sure if this is really a review but will see how this goes with other games. Thanks! -Chad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.