Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aneillio Lorenzini
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son and I just DIY-ed a copy of WizWar (part Kawnchai's redesign, part hand drawn). We've been having a blast with it so far. It seems as though it needs more number cards than we currently (and will keep needing as he is already busy thinking up new monsters).

Does anyone know of, or have thoughts on an ideal ratio of number cards in the total deck?

Any other thoughts on other aspects of deck ratio? Attack vs. Counters, percentage of items or monsters?

Of course we'll be constantaly tuning and adding things, but a starting place would be great.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Szpot
Poland
Rybnik
flag msg tools
Look! A pony!
badge
Smile :)
mbmbmbmbmb
I've actually done quite a bit of math towards finding just the answer you seek. I'll paste an excerpt from my Wiz War redesign thread below for your convenience, although I do encourage you to check it out if time allows

Here goes...

(...) Remaking the basic cards in this manner has been quite easy, but since I was already at it, I decided to once and for all satisfy my longing for custom cards. To that end, I gathered all the fan-made sets I could find and tossed in a dozen of my own ideas, then filtered out everything I found unnecessary, too strong, too weak, too weird, and so on. In the end, that left me with a collection of over 300 new cards. One important thing I kept in mind though was balance. Not game-balance, since WizWar laughs at such a preposterous idea, but the balance of proportion between different types of cards. Painstaking calculations followed… and as I feared, there were too many of certain types of cards. The saving grace was the fact that a certain amount of numbers needed to be mixed in as well. Rather than follow advice of this or that custom set (which most often seemed to be made up arbitrarily), since what I was making was a consolidation of all these, I used math again… in a rather silly way, but math still.

Expanded version of this table here.

First, to get the percentages of card types right, I checked what would happen if I added 100 number cards. It fit almost perfectly. So then, to keep all the other values in relative proximity to their original values, I just added as many of each card value as there were percents of its appearance in the original game… et voila, all fit and made sense.

I did math on the number of numbers. Numberception, anyone?

Hope this proves at least somewhat useful
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Brettschneider
Germany
Mainz
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, there it was. I knew I saw it somewhere... I did the same (counting all cards...) when I made my German set.

Good luck with it - it's a great game (and way better than the FF re-design)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aneillio Lorenzini
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely awesome!!!

Exactly what i was looking for, thank you so much

Your labors are most appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.