Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Mawson
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been looking for a copy of Citadels for a while now (off and on when I remember) but I always seem to miss out. So I was pleased to hear there is a new edition coming out. But, oh dear, what has happened to the art work!? It all seems very bright and cheerful, very much unlike the theme of the game and totally at odds with the brilliantly dark and sinister style in previous versions. Very disappointing! I will likely still pick up a copy of the new version (pending reception/reviews) but will seek some means of restoring the old artwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I am pretty sure they are releasing another version that is closer to a reprint- in a smaller box and retaining most of the original artwork.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameversion/320648/asmodee-en...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Chappell
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To each their own. Personally, I like the new artwork. It gives me the feel of building a lush pseudo Renaissance city. And the variety in the character art appeals to me too.

Two new versions mean we each can have the style we like, except only the new version will have the new roles and buildings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:
I am pretty sure they are releasing another version that is closer to a reprint- in a smaller box and retaining most of the original artwork.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameversion/320648/asmodee-en...

The reprint doesn't include the dark city characters but does include some dark city districts (I've no idea which ones).

Bruno Faidutti wrote:
It has the original set of eight characters—Assassin, Thief, Magician, Bishop, King, Merchant, Architect and Warlord—all of whom were illustrated by the famous French cartoonist Jean-Louis Mourier. We kept all of the original purple districts and added a couple of the simpler and more interesting ones from The Dark City.

(source)

Here's the product details page:

https://www.asmodee.us/en/games/citadels/products/citadels-c...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nyogtha wrote:
It all seems very bright and cheerful

Not all (in my opinion) though it's more bright and cheerful than the old edition. Even the old edition wasn't all dark and sinister, there were some brighter scenes. In the new edition the temple has bones on the floor and the fortress & necropolis are both look a bit sinister to me. No one is being eaten by crows (which I'm glad about) though it looks like someone might be going to lose their head in the prison but maybe they are being transferred to another cell or even released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the new art!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam L
United Kingdom
Gravesend
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nyogtha wrote:
I have been looking for a copy of Citadels for a while now (off and on when I remember) but I always seem to miss out. So I was pleased to hear there is a new edition coming out. But, oh dear, what has happened to the art work!? It all seems very bright and cheerful, very much unlike the theme of the game and totally at odds with the brilliantly dark and sinister style in previous versions. Very disappointing! I will likely still pick up a copy of the new version (pending reception/reviews) but will seek some means of restoring the old artwork.

Totally agree. I have the new game (I was a playtester) and really don't like the new art. Unfortunately, because of the changes in districts and roles, I will need to trawl through Google for loads of images and then use Printerstudio if I want to try to recreate the "old style" art. Probably not worth it.

Rather frustrating that the reprint of "classic" citadels (a) comes in a stupid size box, and (b) only has the base 8 roles from version 1.0. Man that sucks.

What makes it even more galling is that all my family prefer the new art. I've failed as a parent. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.