BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: [WIP] UNDERGROUND ARENA rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm gonna give the Mint tin design contest a shot.
Thread for the 2016 Mint Tin Design Contest.
------------------------------------

-UNDERGROUND ARENA-

------------------------------------
A solitaire/co-op dungeon crawler with a MOBA influence. Lead your hardy group of heroes through the arena, collect power tokens to unlock special abilities and defeat the enemy boss and his minions before destroying the enemy gate.

Designer: Martin Melbardis
1-3 players / 30+ minutes

Design Goals:
1. Making a decent enemy A.I with the least amount of rules possible
2. Introducing meaningful decisions and maybe a press your luck mechanic
3. And finally probably the toughest...Getting everything to fit in a a tiny tin box

Components (subject to change)
-3 Dice
-2 page Rulebook (double sided, 4 pages total)
-25 Business sized cards (4 Hero, 1 Boss, 3 Mini-Boss, 3 Minions, 1 Monster, 2 Bses, 8 Event cards)
-19 Mini sized Cards (13 Map tiles, 16 Ability cards)
-25 plastic cubes (4 different colors)
-17 tokens

PNP Files and Rulebook:

None available at the moment

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] UNDERGROUND ARENA (2016 Mint Design Contest) - Idea Phase
reserved for future use

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] UNDERGROUND ARENA (2016 Mint Design Contest) - Idea Phase
Been working out some ideas for "Underground Arena" last night and came up with some concepts for the game. These are just initial ideas and are subject to change

Object of the game:
-Find the keys to unlock doors
-Destroy the enemy gate

Basic game blueprint

-The Dungeon/Arena contains 13 locations
-There are two lanes that lead heroes from their base to the enemy base
-player controls 3 Heroes (each character has different strengths and weakness)
-each hero has 3 actions per phase (move, attack, special action ect)
-Each hero has 4 Abilities (attacks, spells, special actions ect.)
-and one basic attack (no cost)
-Each ability costs a certain amount of power (ie. mana)
-Power is attained by killing minions (farming) or exploring the dungeon

Things to possibly include and ponder about:

-Ultimate abilities? (very powerful but high cost in mana)
-Enemy Towers to disable?
- 2 or 3 Different missions (added replayability)
-Items to pick up and use?
-custom dice? (very tough otpion in a PNP game)
-At the moment I think I have too many tokens, I will try to find a way to cut down make the game more efficient.

Also worked on a game logo..its a Work in progress

and a concept image of the Arena setup..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Re: [WIP] UNDERGROUND ARENA (2016 Mint tin Design Contest) - Idea Phase
melbards wrote:

and a concept image of the Arena setup..

Like the logo...

Would your Arena fold up? Or would it be all individual cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey, Eric

Quote:
Like the logo...

Thanks for the encouragement Its really still a work in progress as i'm not still a 100% happy with it

Quote:
Would your Arena fold up? Or would it be all individual cards?

No, It would be 13 connected mini cards that make up the dungeon. At the moment I'm contemplating the use tokens vs cubes for the game or possibly a combinations of both. Tokens are more flexible, however any future playtesters might be turned off by constructing 30-40 tokens in a
Print-N-play version of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
melbards wrote:

No, It would be 13 connected mini cards that make up the dungeon. At the moment I'm contemplating the use tokens vs cubes for the game or possibly a combinations of both. Tokens are more flexible, however any future playtesters might be turned off by constructing 30-40 tokens in a
Print-N-play version of the game.

Yes, printing/cutting that many small tokens would make the game more of a challenge to test than you want.

What about dice? Other games use the number on a d6 to indicate a level or hit points or something. Then maybe a few tokens to place on top of the dice? Like a shield, a special weapon, etc. Then I can have a die of one color march around the arena and that matches a tracking cube on the hero card...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
What about dice? Other games use the number on a d6 to indicate a level or hit points or something. Then maybe a few tokens to place on top of the dice? Like a shield, a special weapon, etc. Then I can have a die of one color march around the arena and that matches a tracking cube on the hero card...

I do plan to include three d6... Mostly for combat and skill checks. I was planning to have the hero cards have tracks for Health and power with a token/or cube to use on the track. That does however mean:
3 heroes x2 tracks(hp + power) = 6 tokens/cubes for tracking
+ 3 to 4 enemy multi-health boses that require health tracking. 10 dedicated tokens/cubes just for tracking seems like alot.

Added to that 3 tokens to represent the heroes on the map tiles and not to mention the enemy minions and bosses (add another 10 or so)

Quote:
Then I can have a die of one color march around the arena and that matches a tracking cube on the hero card...

Thats a good idea I might just look into that option.. The only problem is aesthetically I think tokens with a picture of the hero will look more pleasing on the map and be more immersive for the player.

Maybe a combination of 20 small cubes (in three colors) and 15 or so tokens??? Might be reasonably less work to PNP assuming that the potential players do have cubes at their disposal.

thanks again for the feedback. Much appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Updated the components list in the first post of the thread and should have a prototype done by this weekend for self-playtesting. Will keep posting with updates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I didn't yet manage to get the prototype done. However, I did take a step back and have been solidifying the details of the game.
WARNING...Long post.

Initially I was going to do the pretty standard/generic Hero set of 2 Dwarfs, 1 human and one mage against orcs and goblins. Then I switched to a full 4 Dwarfs heroes vs orcs and goblins. However, after some serious thought I think it would be cool to go to the other side of the coin and have the player(s) play the greenskins against evil humans.
So I have been sketching out ideas for Orc and goblin Heroes.

A Goblin pit fighter (Offence), armed with a net and trident

An Orc Brute (Offence)
, Armed with two axes and some armor.

A Goblin Shaman (support), Not very strong or tough, but some very powerful spells.

A Troll (Tank) Strong and powerful, but very stupid

Also here is some more info on where the game is headed...
------------------
ACTIONS
------------------
Each Hero phase, the player activates one hero at a time. Once activated, that hero has the choice of three actions (however he may not take more than twice the same action.)

Choice of 5 actions:
Move (one space)
Use Attack/Ability
Pass
Explore
Unengage

-----------
ATTACKS
-----------
Each character (Heroes and enemies) is given a Melee stat usually from 2-6. This represents attacking and defending. Also most Hero abilities are attacks or spells which are treated as attacks in most cases.

When making an attack compare the attackers' Melee stat vs. the defenders Melee stat.
If its less, the attacker rolls 2 dice, the defender chooses the result (the lower one).
If its equal, the attacker rolls one dice
If its greater, the Attacker rolls two dice, the attacker chooses the result.
If its 2x greater, the Attacker rolls three dice, and chooses which is the result.

on a roll of a 1 the Attacker takes full damage of the defender
on a roll of a 2 the Attacker takes 1 damage from the defender
on a roll of a 3-4 the Attacker pushes the defender, who flees to an adjacent tile
on a roll of a 5 The attacker succeeds and defender takes damage.
on a roll of a 6 the attacker succeeds and defender takes damage. The attacker also gains one power from this experience.

Each attack also has a damage stat indicating how much health the character loses if the attack succeeds. However if the character has ARMOR this is substracted from the damage.

-----------
EXPLORE
-----------
On the map certain locations will have black explore cubes. The game starts with some on the map and also event cards spawn new cubes regularly.

When heroes enter the location with explore cubes, they may take an explore action to see what they find. Each hero has an EXPLORE stat, some are better are exploring than others. If the hero takes an explore action he rolls the number of dice equal to his EXPLORE stat and picks the highest roll.
on a 1-2 its a trap, and the hero takes damage (remove the cube from the location).
On a 3-4 he finds nothing (the cube remains and so may try again using another action)
on a 5 he gains a power cube and on a 6 he finds two power cubes (in both cases remove the cube from the location)

-----
PASS
-----
If a Passes on an action (ie. does not take an action) I'm thinking of having passive abilities like healing ect. Not sure yet..

--------
UNENGAGE
---------
to withdraw from a location that has enemies engaged with your hero, a Unengage action is required. Each hero has an UNENGAGE stat, some Heroes are better than others. If the hero takes an unengage action he rolls the number of dice equal to his UNENGAGE stat and picks the highest roll.
on a 1-2 he fails to flee, and the hero takes damage from the enemy
On a 3-4 he fails to flee but is not harmed
on a 5 he succeeds in getting away and may move to another location. on a 6 he succeeds in getting away, may move to another location and also gains one power token to simulate gaining experience

---------
MOVE
---------
All heroes who use a move action may move to another adjacent location (as long as there are no enemy in their current location..)

Also a few more ideas that are currently in my head...

Momentum of battle
Anytime a hero takes an action that fails and results in him taking damage, the Hero phase ends immediately. Momentum has shifted and time to move on to the Enemy phase...

Level up
A Hero may use 3 power to level up. Leveling up gains that hero access to an extra Ability called an "Ultimate" This ability is very powerful.

Random events
Also thinking of including random events that affect certain locations or even an entire turn. These could be positive or negative...

Will post more info and updates soon. Let me know your thoughts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is a preview of some very basic Prototype cards I'm currently working on. they are Mini cards (1.75" x 2.5")and as you might be able to tell from the pic, Im not very talented with scissors

The top one is a minion card with a red cube on the health track. I figure I might be able to squeeze 7 or 8 Health on a mini card..probably two rows worth on a business card (for heroes and the Boss)
At the bottom is an example of an ability card for the goblin pit fighter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The prototype is nearing completion. After spending an hour or two on the prototype, I decided to work a little on a digital version of an enemy card. The card is low ink for PNP, except of course the image of the enemy thug. I should note that this image was not made by me, its just a placeholder and a to give a general idea where I think the art direction is heading...More of a cartoon/chibi feel. Also the icons are from game-icons.net, a great resource for game designers making PNPs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Solo Dungeon Crawler!!!

Subscribed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Solo Dungeon Crawler!!!

Subscribed.

Thanks

Here is a sample of a Hero card..Business card sized and more room to play with! The bottom sequence of images are tracks for health and power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
"(Pick nose) heal +1 health"
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm glad you enjoy the humour
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
melbards wrote:
Quote:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm glad you enjoy the humour

What's the ETA on the components? Would like to try it out (and see firsthand how effective nose-picking is in combat LOL)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm actually, for the time being, putting all my energy right now towards my 2nd contest entry "Battle for Brit-Tin" as I feel its slightly less ambitious and needs much less artwork and balancing. It will be much easier to get done and ready.

Once this is finished, I will then revisit Underground Arena. I'm hoping this will be in November or so.

Sorry to make you wait and I do thank you for the support. I will keep you posted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey, no worries. I'll play test when it's ready.

In the meantime, Ill head over to the Brit-Tin WIP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent! One can never have too many dungeon crawls.

This one looks like it is coming along nicely. I can't wait to see the finished components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.