Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » General

Subject: Interesting marketing strategy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shotgun Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game flew under the radar. Ususally a big game like this I tend to hear about long before it comes out. I only found out today when someone posted it. So Rito had this game in development for a few years and kept it under a lid, the opposite of how most companies introduce their upcoming games. This was like... BAM IN YOUR FACE check out this game!

100+ minis (pre-washed).
4 pre painted minis.
Thick glossy boards.
Water proof linen cards.
Insanely awesome hand drawn art work.
Metal tokens?

Is this some kind of $500 Kickstarter Goal or something?

No.

$75.

cool

Geeez they must have kept this in a vault or something until was ready to go. Rahdo, Tom, and Rodney all have videos uploaded the same time. Did they have ninja's run their marketing strategy?

ninja

Will be interesting to see how other companies react to Rito's intro to the hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Castle
United States
Lothian
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you hit all the key points. This was genius, and will do well in the market. And ridiculous in the aftermarket after they sell out in the first few days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It immediately got me excited. So very well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I'm most impressed with is.....well everything. You can tell this isn't just some money grab to appeal to their LoL demographic. Riot knows their stuff, they know who the big reviewers are in the board game industry, they know what gamers like (beautiful components, inserts, ect) and they didn't just pump out some cheap knock off with flimsy shallow rules and gameplay, this game looks very fun, with lots of mechanism that are well put together and looks like a very well developed game. You can tell these guys are board gamers as well and look to be a strong force in the industry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Castle
United States
Lothian
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spukky wrote:
It immediately got me excited. So very well done.

Same here. From the insert, to gameplay (take or leave the "legacy style"), to production, it looks to hit on all cylinders. From a BGG standpoint compared to any number of $100 Kickstarters, this has triple platinum written all over it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
easye1982 wrote:
I think you hit all the key points. This was genius, and will do well in the market. And ridiculous in the aftermarket after they sell out in the first few days.

I'm actually concerned about not getting a copy. I'd imagine their servers will get swarmed the second it goes on sale. Imagine all the crazies who will try to get 10 copies (I already know I'm buying 2, one for me and one for my nephew).

Ebay and Brick-and-Mortor stores are going to have insane mark ups if/when the game sells out instantly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigGameGeek wrote:
What I'm most impressed with is.....well everything. You can tell this isn't just some money grab to appeal to their LoL demographic. Riot knows their stuff, they know who the big reviewers are in the board game industry, they know what gamers like (beautiful components, inserts, ect) and they didn't just pump out some cheap knock off with flimsy shallow rules and gameplay, this game looks very fun, with lots of mechanism that are well put together and looks like a very well developed game. You can tell these guys are board gamers as well and look to be a strong force in the industry.

*Rito

Yeah exactly. Everything about the game looks mind-boggling.

*insert Face-Melting.gif*

The most insane part is that it's not some cheap knock off. It's seems to be a very well polished game design that actually looks... you know... FUN *ahem Ghost Busters board game COUGH*.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Castle
United States
Lothian
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I have to get two. One for myself and the other just to keep in reserve, in case they start going like Zombicide/Krosmaster etc. Granted the "exclusives" drove those markets to insane levels. But here with this quality and last minute surprise appearance, I feel it will go faster than anyone suspects. And like a PS5 on Christmas eve, Ebay will be the only option for most.

ShotgunGames wrote:
easye1982 wrote:

I'm actually concerned about not getting a copy. I'd imagine their servers will get swarmed the second it goes on sale. Imagine all the crazies who will try to get 10 copies (I already know I'm buying 2, one for me and one for my nephew).

Ebay and Brick-and-Mortor stores are going to have insane mark ups if/when the game sells out instantly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ShotgunGames wrote:
easye1982 wrote:

Scythe was insanely popular and Kickstarted 14,000 copies. Riot is making 30,000 in the initial print run alone, I think you're safe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Castle
United States
Lothian
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scythe is also a heavier euro with less mass appeal and a significantly smaller existing customer base. LOL has 10mil+ players EDIT From Link Below:As of January 2014, over 67 million people played League of Legends per month, 27 million per day, and over 7.5 million concurrently during peak hours, all be it most casual, but still a 1% draw from new non gamers based on name and bling alone will trump that Kickstarter.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/League_of_Legends

MAJBrown22 wrote:
ShotgunGames wrote:
easye1982 wrote:

Scythe was insanely popular and Kickstarted 14,000 copies. Riot is making 30,000 in the initial print run alone, I think you're safe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
easye1982 wrote:
Scythe is also a heavier euro with less mass appeal and a significantly smaller existing customer base. LOL has 10mil+ players EDIT From Link Below:As of January 2014, over 67 million people played League of Legends per month, 27 million per day, and over 7.5 million concurrently during peak hours, all be it most casual, but still a 1% draw from new non gamers based on name and bling alone will trump that Kickstarter.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/League_of_Legends

MAJBrown22 wrote:
ShotgunGames wrote:
easye1982 wrote:

I'm going to err on the side Jason Brown's optimism for now... because I have no control over it selling out or the servers crashing when it's on sale. However, Frank Castle has a good point. LoL has ... well lets just be frank... and rabid fan base who are strangely starved of merchandise for a game that sees millions of players per DAY.

Rito could put a picture of Teemo on toilet paper and it'll instantly sell out instantly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greysbull
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ShotgunGames wrote:
bigGameGeek wrote:

*Rito

Not sure if this is supposed to be a joke, but the company name is actually Riot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marcusnc wrote:
ShotgunGames wrote:
bigGameGeek wrote:

*Rito

Not sure if this is supposed to be a joke, but the company name is actually Riot.

Yeah what's with this Rito stuff? This is the second post I've seen with Riot spelled Rito. Thought it was autocorrect before but this is obviously not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thebaker1983 wrote:
marcusnc wrote:
ShotgunGames wrote:
bigGameGeek wrote:

*Rito

Yeah what's with this Rito stuff? This is the second post I've seen with Riot spelled Rito. Thought it was autocorrect before but this is obviously not.

haha.. lol. I play League and the community just refers to Riot as Rito. People will actually spell correct you on their forums if you spell it properly. It started off as joke but it's become the norm now, at least among other League players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ShotgunGames wrote:
Will be interesting to see how other companies react to Rito's intro to the hobby.
http://i.makeagif.com/media/7-24-2015/hCTQMb.gif
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abel Kim
United States
Flower Mound
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I am a Turtle.
mbmbmbmbmb
ShotgunGames wrote:
thebaker1983 wrote:
marcusnc wrote:
ShotgunGames wrote:
bigGameGeek wrote:

*Rito

haha.. lol. I play League and the community just refers to Riot as Rito. People will actually spell correct you on their forums if you spell it properly. It started off as joke but it's become the norm now, at least among other League players

Whenever Riot does a surprising, unfavorable, or funny change, us LoLers call them Rito. I think it started in an April Fools video with Lee Sin they made, but it stuck as a pet name for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reina Sweet
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
We even have Rito on the back of our company sign. Someone nabbed an image of it awhile ago here: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CDOfbufVIAA1sz_.jpg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlon Kruis
Netherlands
Pijnacker
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What an avalanche of review they put out. ninja
I think every respected reviewer made a review, unboxing or how to video from it and uploaded it at the exact same time yesterday.
As it seems Riot even provided them with special overlays for the video's.

Very well done and from a whole other marketing "league" as the normal boardgame standards. It does also look like a great game and not yet another IP dump with a mediocre game. They really tried to make a boardgame with solid "euro" mechanics and enough thematic (100 minis?) flavor.

It is indeed interesting what the effect on the other companies will be or if this a one time thing for them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N. P. P.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
el_crosso wrote:
I think every respected reviewer made a review, unboxing or how to video from it and uploaded it at the exact same time yesterday.

I wonder why the content creators were so eager to help the company create artificial hype.
I understand they have an interest in getting reviews of big releases out as early as possible to get more views, but is that all there is to it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skippy668 wrote:
I wonder why the content creators were so eager to help the company create artificial hype.
I understand they have an interest in getting reviews of big releases out as early as possible to get more views, but is that all there is to it?

They were very involved in the process. They were asked what they think about different aspects a number of times. Especially Tom and Quintin, but even the other people involved.

Firstly, it creates a feeling of involvement. You feel a bit tied to the project emotionally.

Secondly, they went out of their way to have all of these people involved, more so than the average release. They feel appreciated, a big video game company is paying a lot of attention to a somewhat small part of a small community, it's flattering to say the least.

It also seems to me, without having played it, that the game is pretty good.

But here's the beef. There's plenty of great games out there, this might just be one of them, but all this hyper aggressive marketing makes me less interested in it. I really think they should have spaced 'em out more. I understand that whoever got first dibs on the review would have the most viewers, but still.

I don't think this should detract from my interest to purchase the game, but it does, somehow. It's just like watching telemarketing, the product might even be good, for all I know, but all this scripted marketing and over the top push makes me wary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skippy668 wrote:
el_crosso wrote:

I guess it's one of those situation where everyone is thinking "if I don't it and others do I will like an idiot".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skippy668 wrote:

Why would a reviewer not want to cover the game? Its their job...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewbwm wrote:

But here's the beef. There's plenty of great games out there, this might just be one of them, but all this hyper aggressive marketing makes me less interested in it.

This seems like your beef, not the beef
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bortmonkey wrote:
andrewbwm wrote:

But here's the beef. There's plenty of great games out there, this might just be one of them, but all this hyper aggressive marketing makes me less interested in it.

This seems like your beef, not the beef

Do I really need to qualify every statement with a "this is my opinion" disclaimer, is it not blatantly obvious? I think the context clearly states it is my beef.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N. P. P.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bortmonkey wrote:
Skippy668 wrote:

Why would a reviewer not want to cover the game? Its their job...

Certainly. But pretty much every reviewer of note releasing a review on the same day at precisely the same time is unprecedented. I'd expect that they had the same interest in reviewing, say, Seafall, yet those reviews were trickling in over the course of several weeks. What makes this game different?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.