Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Wahl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/sep/19/us-gun-owner...

Quote:
While there are an estimated 55 million American gun owners, most own an average of just three firearms, and nearly half own just one or two, according to the survey results.

Then there are America’s gun super-owners – an estimated 7.7 million Americans who own between eight and 140 guns.

This kind of concentrated ownership isn’t unique to guns, firearms researchers noted. Marketing experts suggest that the most devoted 20% consumers will typically account for 80% of a product’s sales.

Quote:
But Gary Kleck, a Florida State University criminologist and firearms researcher, said the concentration of most guns in the hands of a relatively small proportion of gun owners was “old news”.

“It’s probably true for just about any consumer good,” he said.

Have there been any public surveys like this about gamers? Do you think that the distribution of board/card game ownership is similar?

Edit: So basically, 75% don't own any, 12% own one or two, 10% own three to eight, and 3% have a lot more, half of the total guns owned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Waay less gamers than gun lovers, I'd wager. But probably a similar percentage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Windopaene wrote:
Waay less gamers than gun lovers, I'd wager. But probably a similar percentage.

Depends on how you define "gamer".

I think most families have at least 1 game in their house, even if it is just a game like Monolopy or Uno or a standard deck of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_principle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's a pity that he doesn't post reports annually, but Matthew Gray (mkgray) has at least a couple old posts about BGG user statistics. In 2008, 17 games put a user in the top 50% of BGG users. This is just one website, and not every user records their collection, but I don't have a better source. (I suspect that number has gone up a bunch with the growth of the site.) As for the US population, your guess is as good as mine, but I'd bet that 10 is more than enough to make a person a "super owner".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is copied from the results of the 2013 survey of BGG users. It slightly responds to the OP's post, though only for the United States. Can be read as: at least 11% of Californians play games, but it doesn't say how many they own. The second question I copied says that 24% of survey respondents own between 101-200 games - another partial answer to the OP's post. And that 1/4 of respondents own more than 200 games.

USA State Breakdown
(last number is population size)

11.0% California 36,756,666 (still #1, 11.7% last time)
6.8% Texas 24,326,974 (stays 2nd, 7.4% last time)
5.0% Washington 6,549,224 (up from 5th in 2011, 10th in 2010)
4.8% Ohio 11,485,910 (back down to 4th from 3rd)
4.7% Illinois 12,901,563 (up from 6th)
4.3% Pennsylvania 12,448,279
4.1% New York 19,490,297 (down from 4th)
3.8% Michigan 10,003,422
3.3% Florida 18,328,340 (up from 2.1%)
3.3% Indiana 6,376,792
3.2% Colorado 4,861,515
3.1% Oregon 3,790,060
2.9% Virginia 7,769,089 (2.5%)
2.8% Massachusetts 6,497,967 (3.5%)
2.7% Minnesota 5,220,393 (3.3%)
2.6% Wisconsin 5,627,967
2.4% Maryland 5,633,597 (1.9%)
2.4% North Carolina 9,222,414
2.3% Missouri 5,911,605
2.2% Utah 2,736,424
2.1% Arizona 6,500,180
2.0% Georgia 9,685,744
1.7% New Jersey 8,682,661
1.5% Tennessee 6,214,888
1.2% Iowa 3,002,555
1.1% Kansas 2,802,134
1.1% Kentucky 4,269,245
1.1% Nebraska 1,783,432
1.0% South Carolina 4,479,800
0.9% Alabama 4,627,851
0.9% Connecticut 3,501,252
0.9% Oklahoma 3,642,361
0.7% Idaho 1,523,816
0.6% Arkansas 2,855,390
0.6% Nevada 2,600,167
0.5% Louisiana 4,410,796
0.5% New Hampshire 1,315,809
0.4% Maine 1,316,456
0.4% New Mexico 1,984,356 (0.7%)
0.4% Rhode Island 1,050,788
0.4% South Dakota 804,194 (0.1%)
0.4% West Virginia 1,814,468
0.3% Alaska 686,293
0.3% DC 591,833
0.3% North Dakota 641,481 (0.1%)
0.3% Vermont 621,270
0.2% Delaware 873,092
0.2% Hawaii 1,288,198
0.2% Mississippi 2,938,618 (0.6%)
0.2% Montana 967,440
0.1% Wyoming 532,668

How many boardgames do you own? (exclude Expansions)

The median collection remains at about 100 boardgames. 50 will only just get you out of the smallest 25% of collections. You'll need to have over 200 to get into the biggest 25% of collections.
The mean (average) collection is just over 200 boardgames.
This is all pretty much the same as 2011, which means that we've been buying enough to balance out the impact of people who are new to the hobby.

3% Ten or less (4%)
6% 11-20 (6%)
18% 21-50 (18%)
22% 51-100 (20%)
23% 101-200 (24%)
11% 201-300 (11%)
9% 301-500 (9%)
6% 501-1000 (6%)
2% 1001-2000 (2%)
0.7% 2000+ (0.60%)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's been a lot of comment about that survey. Some people think it shows record amounts of firearms pooling; other people have argued that it shows record numbers of people who are increasingly cagey about firearm surveys given the current climate on gun control and are therefore lying to researchers. That is to say: the counter-claim is that the 3% decrease in the the number of owners is false (as it's both within the margin of error of the poll and dealing with an issue where there's an increased probability of deceit relative to the prior data set ('94)).

I'm not trying to make a political point, just a statistical one. All this does is it has the effect of heightening the perceived peak / steepness of the CDF (cumulative distribution function) of the sample set. It doesn't change the baseline fact that "a lot of x are owned by a few y", but it does mean that making the steepness the story isn't necessarily accurate given the uncertainties.

Using BGG data to do the equivalent for games will suffer from the opposite problem. BGG denizens are a self-selecting devotee group -- a bit like only polling NRA members in the firearms survey -- therefore the mean, variance and std-dev are going to way off relative to the natural population. Unless you've got baseline data by which you can weight the BGG delta, numbers from here are not really that generally useful -- and if you had the numbers for the general population from which you could do that, you probably wouldn't need the BGG data anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wahl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Triboluminous wrote:
I'm not trying to make a political point, just a statistical one. All this does is it has the effect of heightening the perceived peak / steepness of the CDF (cumulative distribution function) of the sample set. It doesn't change the baseline fact that "a lot of x are owned by a few y", but it does mean that making the steepness the story isn't necessarily accurate given the uncertainties.

The steepness of previous surveys don't seem much different; at the most extreme (assuming it hasn't changed in 20 years) it's that two thirds own none rather than three quarters, and assuming that it hasn't changed in 40 years, that half own none.

I wouldn't be surprised if half of people didn't even own an opened pack of playing cards. I would be surprised if three quarters didn't, so I guess it does make a little difference to me. But what I'm really wondering is how much weight large collectors have as compared to the rest of the market. I know a lot of people have a copy of Monopoly, but I have 700 games. How many average people would that offset? 150? 400? The average person has two guns, but how many games do they have?

EllenCaroline wrote:
The median collection remains at about 100 boardgames. 50 will only just get you out of the smallest 25% of collections. You'll need to have over 200 to get into the biggest 25% of collections.
The mean (average) collection is just over 200 boardgames.

That the mean bgg collection is at the 75th percentile means that bgg represents a lot of mega-collections. What proportion of the general market does it represent?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pharmakon wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if half of people didn't even own an opened pack of playing cards.

Just considering the number of people with kids, I'll take the under on that.

(Around here, I'll take the way, way under.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say most (American) families own some games. Battleship, Candyland, Trivial Pursuit, Apples to Apples, Cranium, Guess Who, Taboo, Monopoly, dominoes, Memory...I wouldn't be surprised if any of these games were stashed in a closet. I don't think you'd see anywhere near 75% owning ZERO games.
3% owning half the total sounds in the right ballpark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wahl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only 43% of US households have children under 18. 29% are childless married couples, and 28% are single people living alone. I'd also be surprised by 75%, but 50% wouldn't shock me at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Moved to the Religion Sex and Politics forum.

This forum is largely unmoderated. If you choose to actively avoid topics of religion, sex, and/or politics or do not want to read or participate in an unmoderated thread please Unsubscribe now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
The stated question is interesting -- what percentage of people who own board games have a potentially pathological number of them as many of us do? (Pathological meaning that owning and maintaining a collection comes at the expense of your happiness, health, and/or employment.)

It's a neat idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pharmakon wrote:
Only 43% of US households have children under 18. 29% are childless married couples, and 28% are single people living alone. I'd also be surprised by 75%, but 50% wouldn't shock me at all.
So only 43% of households have children under 18. But the games in those households don't suddenly disappear when the children are over 18 and/or move out. So a large portion of the other 57% (childless married couples and single people whether they live alone or not) used to be households with children under 18. I think the number of households with no games is well under 50%. I should have mentioned chess, checkers, connect four in my previous post.

Not to mention cards, or Uno, Go Fish, Crazy 8s, which I'm not even counting for the purposes of this discussion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Preisach
United States
East McKeesport
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pharmakon wrote:
Then there are America’s gun super-owners – an estimated 7.7 million Americans who own between eight and 140 guns.

I'm assuming that those 7.7 million Americans are mutants who have between eight and 280 arms with which to hold those guns/phallic symbols?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edgerunner76 wrote:
pharmakon wrote:

I'm assuming that those 7.7 million Americans are mutants who have between eight and 280 arms with which to hold those guns/phallic symbols?

Honestly, I assume most of the mare just like me and slightly off kilter hobbyists who like to buy/collect.

When you're into something, staying in it is super fun. I like to constantly change my aquariums, I buy new board games, I snap up new MLP art and stick it on my wall...

Like, honestly, as someone who is ostensibly pro-better gun control, I've never really bought into the hur hur phallic symbol stuff. Being a hobbyist is fun, and being active in a hobby you love is enjoyable. Do I think it can be a bit weird? Yeah, but it isn't like people don't think my hobbies are weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
edgerunner76 wrote:
pharmakon wrote:

How many of your 344 boardgames do you play simultaneously?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pharmakon wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/sep/19/us-gun-owner...

Quote:
While there are an estimated 55 million American gun owners, most own an average of just three firearms, and nearly half own just one or two, according to the survey results.

This kind of concentrated ownership isn’t unique to guns, firearms researchers noted. Marketing experts suggest that the most devoted 20% consumers will typically account for 80% of a product’s sales.

Quote:
But Gary Kleck, a Florida State University criminologist and firearms researcher, said the concentration of most guns in the hands of a relatively small proportion of gun owners was “old news”.

“It’s probably true for just about any consumer good,” he said.

Have there been any public surveys like this about gamers? Do you think that the distribution of board/card game ownership is similar?

Edit: So basically, 75% don't own any, 12% own one or two, 10% own three to eight, and 3% have a lot more, half of the total guns owned.

So the US population is about 324,100,000
About 194,000,000 of those are adults
in 2013 about 2,217,000 people were in prison leaving about 191,800,000 potential gunowners

That puts your 'superuser' percentage at 4%, not 3% and your non owners are at 72% not 75%. The only reason the 'superusers' of 8+ are considered to be 'scary' is because people don't understand or own guns.

Do you know anyone that owns 8+ guns? I do. Want to know WHY they own 8+ guns? Because they are, for the most part, enthusiasts, collectors, not unlike us and our games (I do know one or two survivalists, end of the world as we know it types)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:

Do you know anyone that owns 8+ guns? I do. Want to know WHY they own 8+ guns? Because they are, for the most part, enthusiasts, collectors, not unlike us and our games (I do know one or two survivalists, end of the world as we know it types)

Has anyone in this thread suggested otherwise?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
okiedokie wrote:

Yes, the jackass a couple posts up who mentioned many arms and penis symbols.

Five of my guns are of WWII vintage. A M1 Garand, 2 M91/30 Mosin-Nagants, and a M44 Mosin-Nagant, and a Swiss K31 (that one is awesome). I'd love to get a hold of a Swedish Mauser (German too with marks), and I'd love to find a Krag Jorgensen or a M1941 Johnson Rifle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wahl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like the thread got moved because the title triggered someone. The question was about board games, and the conversation didn't stray an inch into either religion, sex, or politics. It was basically dead anyway, I guess.

Terwox wrote:
The stated question is interesting -- what percentage of people who own board games have a potentially pathological number of them as many of us do? (Pathological meaning that owning and maintaining a collection comes at the expense of your happiness, health, and/or employment.)

It's a neat idea.

It's not mine. A pack of cards can be life ruining for a bad, compulsive poker player; I've got enough games to suffocate under and I don't think I'm losing it. I'm definitely not anti-gun, although I think collecting guns is a bit silly, like collecting wrenches or something - they're tools. I'd think that you'd have a few high quality guns that were appropriate for a wide variety of purposes, and maybe a gun or two with sentimental value that would sneak in there. Well, I guess I'm already up to four or five...

Board games aren't tools, they're entertainments. Having five games is like having five dvds, or five albums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pharmakon wrote:
Looks like the thread got moved because the title triggered someone. The question was about board games, and the conversation didn't stray an inch into either religion, sex, or politics. It was basically dead anyway, I guess.

Terwox wrote:

It's a neat idea.

It's not mine. A pack of cards can be life ruining for a bad, compulsive poker player; I've got enough games to suffocate under and I don't think I'm losing it. I'm definitely not anti-gun, although I think collecting guns is a bit silly, like collecting wrenches or something - they're tools. I'd think that you'd have a few high quality guns that were appropriate for a wide variety of purposes, and maybe a gun or two with sentimental value that would sneak in there. Well, I guess I'm already up to four or five...

Board games aren't tools, they're entertainments. Having five games is like having five dvds, or five albums.

Sure guns are tools. But that doesn't mean people can't get enjoyment out of it. Go check out a cowboy action shooting event, or a 3-gun competition. Not to mention a lot of guns (like a M1 Garand) have historical value.

I might want a gun tricked out for shooting at 1,000 yards, and another that is responsive and quick to shoulder for a competition.

A simple .22 is great for teaching new shooters and just plinking, and generally cheap to shoot.

People trick out Ruger 10/22s for all kinds of madness, to get that super tight grouping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow...I always knew I was above average!

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
COMPNOR wrote:
grant5 wrote:
okiedokie wrote:

Yes, the jackass a couple posts up who mentioned many arms and penis symbols.

Five of my guns are of WWII vintage. A M1 Garand, 2 M91/30 Mosin-Nagants, and a M44 Mosin-Nagant, and a Swiss K31 (that one is awesome). I'd love to get a hold of a Swedish Mauser (German too with marks), and I'd love to find a Krag Jorgensen or a M1941 Johnson Rifle.

Jesus, son, how'd you get an M-1? I've got a buddy who won, I dunno the right to buy one?, after winning a bunch of shooting competitions. Never got to fire one of those. M-1 Carbine, the M-14, M-60 (that was fun), and finally the early models of the M-16. How was the Garand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Hmmm.

So what that article is demonstrating is that gun owners are natural liars and should not be trusted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.