GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,283 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Nice overview, if probably a bit short on details for most here:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/sep/19/world-...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Soccer narrative hook in the first paragraph. You can count on most of RSP to not read past that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Waiting to be told what to investigate in three... two... one....
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
Waiting to be told what to investigate in three... two... one....



An economy based resource?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We will never have a world without work. For one thing, our society needs to have a lot more teachers than it does -- say, 6-10 children classrooms. Also, I suspect the percentage of people who farm will go up -- we need to start producing better quality food, and for that we will need more human care in farming.

I can, however, see the average workweek shrinking to around 15 hours.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There will still be niche industries like motorsports that don't have the capital for widespread automation.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
It is obvious to me that the only way that Hell can be avoided is if the Gov. takes steps to force companies to pay workers far more than the market allows or the Gov. provides a basic income to all.

Business is required now by case law to maximize profits and this means minimizing payroll. If there is 50% of the "work force" not employed then it would be easy for comp. to cut pay and replace those would quit rather than work for less.

The basic income system could very soon also become a Hell on Earth. If the top 3% income people can bribe the Gov. to reduce the taxes on them and cut the basic income of the rest of society, they will do that every time. The 3% thinks that they are the "makers" and everyone else are the "takers", just ask them.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve1501 wrote:
It is obvious to me that the only way that Hell can be avoided is if the Gov. takes steps to force companies to pay workers far more than the market allows or the Gov. provides a basic income to all.

Business is required now by case law to maximize profits and this means minimizing payroll. If there is 50% of the "work force" not employed then it would be easy for comp. to cut pay and replace those would quit rather than work for less.

The basic income system could very soon also become a Hell on Earth. If the top 3% income people can bribe the Gov. to reduce the taxes on them and cut the basic income of the rest of society, they will do that every time. The 3% thinks that they are the "makers" and everyone else are the "takers", just ask them.



Party of Democratics.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
(specifies its for people who need them for a job I'm going for hell. I have no faith that the owners of business will not whine like they do now about having to pay for people who do not work.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
(specifies its for people who need them for a job I'm going for hell. I have no faith that the owners of business will not whine like they do now about having to pay for people who do not work.


No, they wont whine, they will just stop. How much of your welfare check do you give to others ? there is a point at which its no longer profitable to keep you business open.

I also find it funny that in this socials utopia, nobody mentions where the innovations will come from. Oh I know, if you dont have to worry about making money, then you will have time to make cool shit, right ?

Wrong. all of the halfwits I know that are on welfare are not interested in creating much of anything.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
(specifies its for people who need them for a job I'm going for hell. I have no faith that the owners of business will not whine like they do now about having to pay for people who do not work.


No, they wont whine, they will just stop. How much of your welfare check do you give to others ? there is a point at which its no longer profitable to keep you business open.

I also find it funny that in this socials utopia, nobody mentions where the innovations will come from. Oh I know, if you dont have to worry about making money, then you will have time to make cool shit, right ?

Wrong. all of the halfwits I know that are on welfare are not interested in creating much of anything.
What the hell has creating stuff got to do with anything I said?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
(specifies its for people who need them for a job I'm going for hell. I have no faith that the owners of business will not whine like they do now about having to pay for people who do not work.


No, they wont whine, they will just stop. How much of your welfare check do you give to others ? there is a point at which its no longer profitable to keep you business open.

I also find it funny that in this socials utopia, nobody mentions where the innovations will come from. Oh I know, if you dont have to worry about making money, then you will have time to make cool shit, right ?

Wrong. all of the halfwits I know that are on welfare are not interested in creating much of anything.


We're not talking about welfare. We're talking about everyone working. Shorter hours. Companies have a tendency, and always will, to hire the best people they can, and to pay the salary that will secure the best people. Why would that change? Innovation comes from innovators who are rewarded for their innovation (sometimes monetarily, and sometimes, as in the case of scientists & academics, in terms of recognition, with the deep satisfaction of knowing that they've done something to advance civilization being a factor, as well). Why would that change?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Altair IV wrote:
Soccer narrative hook in the first paragraph. You can count on most of RSP to not read past that.


Did I misread, or have you just edited that? I read it as saying people rather than of RSP and was going to suggest changing soccer to football and people to Americans.

And then comment that the rest of us would be put off by it being Arsenal.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.