Mathieu
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
Beep! Boop!
badge
Boop! Boing!
mbmbmbmbmb
Could Murne use False orders with double agent to move an ennemy 2 spaces even if that does not let the ennemy attack?

Would that ennemy be stunned or simply moved 2 spaces?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a tough one. The fact that the Stunned Condition is applied "after the Attack resolves" makes it very weird indeed.

For now I'd say that you could indeed push it to a space where it couldn't attack (but note that if it has line of sight to any figure, it must attack, even if you don't want it to), and then if it didn't attack, there would be no Stunned Condition, as the attack is cancelled rather than being resolved.

I could easily be swayed on this, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
That's a tough one. The fact that the Stunned Condition is applied "after the Attack resolves" makes it very weird indeed.

For now I'd say that you could indeed push it to a space where it couldn't attack (but note that if it has line of sight to any figure, it must attack, even if you don't want it to), and then if it didn't attack, there would be no Stunned Condition, as the attack is cancelled rather than being resolved.

I could easily be swayed on this, though.

I have no idea what the intent is, either, but I'm leaning towards allowing the stun condition even if there is no eligible target. Here's my reasoning:

I believe the process of performing an attack can be begun and ended in step 1, and then be considered resolved. The rule says:

Quote:
When a figure performs an attack, it resolves the following steps:

It then goes on to describe the steps ofrom performing an attack. We know that ALL of the steps don't have to be completed for the attack to be considered resolved. For instance, if a dodge is rolled. The attack ends in step 2, and the attack is still considered to be resolved. So...is there a compelling reason not to rule that in this case the attack is performed and is resolved in step 1, when the figure cannot declare a valid target?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
We know that ALL of the steps don't have to be completed for the attack to be considered resolved. For instance, if a dodge is rolled. The attack ends in step 2

No, a dodge rolled only makes the attack miss, it does not abort the attack. The attack still goes through all of the steps, including step 7 (but the target suffers 0 damage from the attack). And thus after attack resolves abilities can be triggered.

Heroes can spend surges to recover and use abilities on class cards even when the attack misses due to a dodge or insufficient accuracy. There are quite a few surge abilities on both sides that can be used even when the target suffers no damage.
csouth154 wrote:
, and the attack is still considered to be resolved.

I had the impression that if an attack aborts (for example due to Relentless defeating a non-hero target or withdrawing/incapacitating a hero, or the target no longer being in line of sight), none of the after attack resolves abilities are be performed. But now I don't remember why I think that.

To the question:
False Orders has already started, Double-Agent moves the figure. If there is no valid target, the attack of False Orders cannot happen. You can't perform an attack if there is no valid target. This is not even an aborted attack. Because attack was not resolved, the trigger condition for the Stunned condition in Double-Agent would not be applied.

Note that during False Orders Murne is also a hostile figure and must be attacked if no other targets are in line of sight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.