Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thought I'd share this here. This link --> https://twitter.com/TetZoo/status/777803170529542144/photo/1
from Darren Naish's Twitter feed today. The entire conversation, beyond the initial post is pretty good.

For those who aren't familiar with him, here's a link to the wiki page on him --> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darren_Naish

Spoiler (click to reveal)

***edit: put the pic in spoilers, per request
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Martin
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you put the picture in spoilers? It's... a little bit disturbing.

And he's... kinda correct? Most animals, when faced with death (or in this cow's case, calcium deficiency or another type of nutrient deficiency) or eating meat, even mostly herbivorous creatures, will instead chose to eat meat. Deer do it, mice do it, etc.

But to say that there are none is a pretty widely stretched argument (that I think is mostly exaggeration on his part).

But it is an interesting idea and concept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rimewisp wrote:
I don’t think it is more disturbing than if it were a lioness instead of a cow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear what you're saying Will, but this guy is well established and has a great pedigree. I actually follow many scientists (especially those associated with now extinct life) over there on the Twitter and there are often many interesting conversations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anevil giraffe
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
there is a cow in India that eats upto 48 chickens a month - I assume local farmers can't do anything to stop it on account of it being a holy animal. google "cow eating chicken" for a video
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically ruminants (like cows) gain much of their nutrition by digesting microbes that live in their rumen.
So yeah, they do eat (single celled) animals, kinda. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Martin
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beri2 wrote:
Rimewisp wrote:
I don’t think it is more disturbing than if it were a lioness instead of a cow.

And I'd ask that to be put in spoilers as well. It's less what's doing the eating and more the rabbit.

I appreciate the OP doing it though, thank you very much.

Thud105 wrote:
I hear what you're saying Will, but this guy is well established and has a great pedigree. I actually follow many scientists (especially those associated with now extinct life) over there on the Twitter and there are often many interesting conversations.

And ya, no, it is a -really- interesting conversation and one that really turns a lot of our ideas and preconceived notions about the natural world on their head. I had never thought about it before and am really glad you posted this so I could!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rimewisp wrote:
But to say that there are none is a pretty widely stretched argument (that I think is mostly exaggeration on his part).

I have to agree. I was diggin' it up to the point that koalas were said to count because they inadvertently eat bugs hanging out on the eucalyptus leaves. I won't argue the main point, but there's always seems to be a niggling exception that wrecks every awesome generalization.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rimewisp wrote:
Most animals, when faced with death

Or consumer demand for cheap meat. : http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/health/2003-06-09-beef-c...

Parts is parts and protein is protein! whistle

Anyway, thanks for the link. I found it odd that the game doesn't make as much of a distinction between herbivores and scavengers, as it does carnivores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.