Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate to admit I own this game, but really it belongs to the kids, so I will hopefully be judged less harshly in the end-times due to the crime. Published by Hasbro, during that dark period it was manufacturing torture devices for the Spanish-Inquisition, Beetle is also known by a range of other names, which I refuse to look up.

This is the version that is in our house. I may hire an exorcist to remove it.

This is objectively the worst game in the history of games. Spin the spinner and whoever manages to get all the beetle parts (body first ) before someone at the table pretends to get a water and poisons themselves, sets the building on fire or dies of malnutrition is declared the winner.

It is an exercise in patience, as players outwardly participate in the endless game play while secretly plotting to hide or destroy the game so it may never hit the table again.

It is mathematically possible to play this game until the heat-death of the universe, with no-one managing to score a victory.

I like to pretend there's an apocalyptic meteor strike part way into this game, flip the table and kick pieces under the fridge until the kids agree we can't continue.

Victory in my group is managing to pull a bait-and-switch on any child suggesting we should play this game, if this isn't successful, we all lose.

I rate this game 1 Star, because BGG refuses to allow me to rate games with negative numbers.

Review with pictures here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Wiese
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a fellow gamer-dad, I too have this in my possession as a result of another family member seeing this in the store and thinking "oh, kids like games and this one looks so good!" Yeah, it's horrible. If you actually try to play it as a game, you will quickly want to fake a heart attack to get out of the situation. Great review of a terrible game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Brian, we should consider beginning a support group for parents who are, by dint of circumstance, forced to encounter this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can shorten the duration of the game torture considerably if you use a House Rule that says "When you spin and the arrow indicates a body part which your bug has already gotten its full compliment of (e.g if you get an antenna and you already have both your antennas) then you get to choose whichever body part you want." This doesn't make it a better game, but it does speed things up quite a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lancer4321 wrote:
You can shorten the duration of the game torture considerably if you use a House Rule that says "When you spin and the arrow indicates a body part which your bug has already gotten its full compliment of (e.g if you get an antenna and you already have both your antennas) then you get to choose whichever body part you want." This doesn't make it a better game, but it does speed things up quite a bit.

Since you would put on a body part with every spin, whoever goes first would win. Even candy land isn't that bad.

How about instead, if you can't put on a body part (because you already got that part), you take a shot/drink? devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stein
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh you arrogant killjoys! Had loads of fun with my 6 yr. old granddaughter this past summer playing Cootie. Lots of laughs and giggles. Fond memories of my own first experiences with it some 60+ years ago as well.

And she is a smarty. Won 5 games in a row of "Go Fish" while we tried to beat her.

Lighten up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Heine
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Think we took out the rules and dice shortly after getting this "game" and my kids just played with it as it really is, a toy. I would pretty much rather play any other game in existence than this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.