Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Paella
United States
East Aurora
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read both the main and expansion manual several times and do can't find answers to these questions. I have submitted these questions directly to Kieth Blume and will report his answers when they arrive. For now, here we go:

Main Rulebook:
(1)
Setup says each player gets 20 gold. The recommended starting unit purchases come to 27 gold, plus 3 leftover gold. Should starting gold be 30, or 20? If 20, why do the recommended starting unit purchases come to 27 gold?

(2)
Typo: Pg7, "4. Recruit Troops". "section X Troops" should be "section Xi Troops".

(3)
Pg8, under "6. Quest", does the monster get to attack when the Leader kills the monster during the leader's attack? As written, it seems no, but it's not mentioned.

(4)
Typo? Pg10, "2. Attack Procedure": "Every round of battle is divided into Five Phases". Should this be "Six Phases"? There are 6 bullets under this text.

(5)
Pg10, "2. Attack Procedure". Under the hit marker pic, is the text "Retreat Area" suppose to say "Flee" area? The battle boards do not have a "Retreat Area", they have a "Flee" area.

(6)
Same as #5. but in the "Rally" section.

(7)
Pg10, "6. The Warlord". The same 20 gold error(?) I reported in #1 is here.

(8)
Quest card: "Go to the Red Fortress and default the Red Knight". What does "1 hit/attack" mean? Does the Red Knight do 1 extra damage every attack round, in addition to whatever hits he rolls? Or, is it 1 hit per attack die rolled?

(9)
Conquest cards. My box came with 6 "Reunite x" cards and there are 7 Kingdoms. Am I missing a "Reunite Metruh" card?

(10)
Map: How many regions are in Vandaria, 4, 5, or 6? I cannot tell if the southern-most region is actually 2 regions, a small one to the left (separated by a river), and one to the right (on the right side of the river). I have no idea how the mountains in Vandaria impact regions in northern Vandaria.
On the new map image, is the '5' area a separate region?
On the new map image, is the '6' area a separate region, delineating 5 and 3 by the river in the southwest corner?
(See pics below)

(11)
Pg 8 "5. Recruit Lieutenant"
Can a Warlord recruit a leader in a region that is controlled by another player? This isn't allowed for recruiting troops so I figured I'd ask.

(12)
Pg8 "6. Quest"
Nowhere does it say when a leader can or has to retreat while on a quest, but the list of quest ending conditions mentions a retreating leader.

(13)
Pg 8 "7. Acquire a Power Card"
The rules contradict themselves. They first state only one.

Expansion manual
(A)
Troops Chart, back page. Bugbears do not have a region listed where they are purchased. Is it Wastes of Nor?

(B)
Do the “Elite” troops count as their base type (Goblin, Orc, Elf, Dwarf) for the main game’s “Hunt” Conquest cards (“Hunt Orcs”, etc...)? If they do, do you get 2 bonuses when killing an Elite troop when you have the "Hunt Elite" card and a "“Hunt "” card that matches the Elite’s base type?

(C)
Can a player put a wizard troop in the front rank instead of the rear? On page 9 of the main manual, under the “Combat”, “1. Setup” section, it states that ranged troops (an undefined term and a confusing term since ranged troops are called “Missile” troops in the troop chart) must be put into the rear rank. Do all ranged troops, including Wizards, have to put into the rear rank??

(D)
Are “Skeleton Archers” a ranged (aka, Missile) Troop? They do not have (M) next to their name in the troop chart.

(E)
When do Wizards use their powers, at the start of a battle (before any combat is resolved) or when it is their turn in the attack phases? Also, for the Water Wizards "Ice Blast" ability, what happens to the troop that is removed from combat if the enemy is defeated and has no army to return to?

Images for qestion #10:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Koeppen
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
LEGO: Hopeful for new 'Castle' sets in 2015!
badge
Games: Regarding my favorite theme of 'Fantasy', I'm hoping for fewer 'card' games and more 'board' games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Keith is really good with rules clarifications, but just a couple thoughts of my own...

1.) The recommendation for starting forces is just for your first game, so the total cost of those recommended troops is greater than the standard 20 gold coins to give new players a boost. From then on, however, it is a max of 20 gold worth of troops to begin the game.

9.) Metruh is just one region, so there would be no point in a 'reunite' card.

10.) I've been playing it as 5 regions in Vandaria with that little 6th area part of region 3, but it can't be entered anyway due to the mountains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Blume
msg tools
publisher
I answered these in an email to Paul and am posting them here as well :-)

(1)
Setup says each player gets 20 gold. The recommended starting unit purchases come to 27 gold, plus 3 leftover gold. Should starting gold be 30, or 20? If 20, why do the recommended starting unit purchases come to 27 gold?

The starting prices are correct.The recommended army is designed to give a new player an idea of how every unit (or race) works. For players who are experienced, they can go with their own blend, but the trade off is they have less to spend (a 4th player recruiting an army with three people in front of him/her spending 30 gold is going to be handcuffed as to what units are left so that is why we went with 20 gold vs. 30 gold when players are choosing their armies).

(2)
Pg7, "4. Recruit Troops". "section X Troops" should be "section Xi Troops".

Noted in our errata (thank you :-))

(3)
Pg8, under "6. Quest", does the monster get to attack when the Leader kills the monster during the leader's attack? As written, it seems no, but it's not mentioned.

No, the quest attacks are not simultaneous. If the monster is defeated, it does not get to attack back.

(4)
Pg10, "2. Attack Procedure": "Every round of battle is divided into Five Phases". Should this be "Six Phases"? There are 6 bullets under this text.

The 6th bullet point (whether to attack or retreat) is not part of the round of battle. The 5 phases of battle are:

ranged attack
reinforce
melee attack
reinforce
rally

That said, to your point I appreciate the potential for confusion so I think the attack/retreat line should not be bullet pointed.

(5)
Pg10, "2. Attack Procedure". Under the hit marker pic, is the text ‘Retreat Area’ suppose to say "Flee" area? The battle boards do not have a "Retreat Area".

Yes (we have called the tattered flag results flees and retreats interchangeably over the course of developing the game, but that should be consistent).

(6)
Same as #5. but in the "Rally" section.

Yes.

(7)
Pg10, "6. The Warlord". The same 20 gold error(?) I reported in #1 is here.

The 20 is correct.

(8)
Quest card: "Go to the Red Fortress and default the Red Knight". What does "1 hit/attack" mean? Does the Red Knight do 1 extra damage every attack round, in addition to whatever hits he rolls? Or, is it 1 hit per attack die rolled?

He does 1 extra damage every round.

(9)
Conquest cards. I have 6 "Reunite x" cards and there are 7 Kingdoms. I missing a "Reunite Metruh" card. Is this correct?

You are not missing that card (there isn't one). Metruh only has 1 province. It is strategic when you have "reunite two kingdoms" because that single province counts as a kingdom.

(10)
Map: How many regions are in Vandaria, 4, 5, or 6? I cannot tell if the southern-most region is actually 2 regions, a small one to the left (separated by a river), and one to the right (on the right side of the river). I have no idea how the mountains in Vandaria impact regions in northern Vandaria.

There are 5 provinces. That location in the lower left is not passable because of the mountain range and it is not a region. The old wall does create a border between the city region and the northern region.

Expansion Rulebook:
(A)
Troops Chart, back page. Bugbears do not have a region listed where they are purchased. Is it Wastes of Nor?

Yes.

(B)
Do the “Elite” troops count as their base type (Goblin, Orc, Elf, Dwarf) for the main game’s “Hunt” Conquest cards (“Hunt Orcs”, etc...)? If they do, do you get 2 bonuses when killing an Elite troop when you have the "Hunt Elite" card and a "“Hunt "” card that matches the Elite’s base type?

The intent is not for those cards to stack, so you would get one or the other but not both bonuses.

( C)
Can a player put a wizard troop in the front rank instead of the rear? On page 9 of the main manual, under the “Combat”, “1. Setup” section, it states that ranged troops (an undefined term and a confusing term since ranged troops are called “Missile” troops in the troop chart) must be put into the rear rank. Do all ranged troops, including Wizards, have to put into the rear rank??

No - wizards are a rear (ranged) rank unit. Those units must be placed in the rear rank.

(D)
Are “Skeleton Archers” a ranged (aka, Missile) Troop? They do not have (M) next to their name in the troop chart.

Yes they are.

(E)
When do Wizards use their powers, at the start of a battle (before any combat is resolved) or when it is their turn in the attack phases?

The wizards attack with the ranged attacks. In the case of the defense against melee, the "wall" defense goes into effect when the other player rolls his melee attack. Note, even if the wizard dies in the ranged attack, the wall still goes into effect during the melee roll.

Also, for the Water Wizards "Ice Blast" ability, what happens to the troop that is removed from combat if the enemy is defeated and has no army to return to?

If there is no army for the ice blast victim to return to (the leader was lost and the army disbanded), that unit goes back to its recruiting pool. If the army retreated, then the unit does return to the army wherever it is located.

Main manual, pg 8 "5. Recruit Lieutenant"
Can a Warlord recruit a leader in a region that is controlled by another player? This isn't allowed for recruiting troops so I figured I'd ask.

No.

12)
Pg8 “6. Quest”
Nowhere does it say when a leader can or has to retreat while on a quest, but the list of quest ending conditions mentions a retreating leader.

If a leader has not defeated the quest obstacle/monster within five rounds of battle, then the leader failed the quest (but does not die) and so must retreat from the battle with the monster . A leader can choose to retreat at any time (for example if he brought a companion unit and did not want to lose it).

For the map - location 5 is a province, location 6 is not.

I think that covered them all (I pasted them in from my email, so if I missed anything, please let me know!

Keith

Edited typos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.