Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu» Forums » Rules

Subject: Shoggoth starts at train station, characters lose sanity? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek M
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In what cannot be a good omen, as I am setting up my very first game, the starting shoggoth appears at the train station. Do all characters lose a sanity before the players even take their first turns?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
webdanzer wrote:
In what cannot be a good omen, as I am setting up my very first game, the starting shoggoth appears at the train station. Do all characters lose a sanity before the players even take their first turns?


Welcome to the wonderful world of Pandemic!

Maybe the first player could use their actions to kill it so the other played don't encounter it and therefore avoid losing sanity.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek M
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
isellsunshine wrote:


Welcome to the wonderful world of Pandemic!

Maybe the first player could use their actions to kill it so the other played don't encounter it and therefore avoid losing sanity.



That's actually how I house-ruled it to get on with the game, as it was a nice middle ground between all characters needing to roll and no characters needing to roll. I had the first player roll, and then take her actions to kill it, so the other players didn't roll.

It doesn't quite fit thematically though, in that the other players were really 'there' at the station because we could have swapped clues and relics and such from the start of the game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe they were not traveling together and this is how they met?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
webdanzer wrote:
It doesn't quite fit thematically though, in that the other players were really 'there' at the station because we could have swapped clues and relics and such from the start of the game.

Burgle Bros. would have had a similar start-of-game problem. Their solution is to have each character "arrive" on the board at the start of their first turn. In this case, it would make perfect sense thematically for each player to arrive by train at slightly different times.

As you say, it would have the side effect of making things a bit tougher because the characters wouldn't be able to trade before taking their first turn.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
webdanzer wrote:
In what cannot be a good omen, as I am setting up my very first game, the starting shoggoth appears at the train station. Do all characters lose a sanity before the players even take their first turns?


I would definitely make everyone roll for sanity.

But in exchange you get a quick shoggoth kill and a relic. seems like a fair enough trade.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff McLeod
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
webdanzer wrote:
In what cannot be a good omen, as I am setting up my very first game, the starting shoggoth appears at the train station. Do all characters lose a sanity before the players even take their first turns?


Since it's in Lovecraft's Mythos, where humans are insignificant pests . . . everyone rolls for sanity! At our table, at least!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Yager
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all. Sorry for missing this post a while back for a response. The intent in this unfortunate situation would be all players would in fact roll for sanity loss immediately as per the normal rules. Truly a rough start but then again that's the danger of trying to take on the minions of Old Ones.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, I have played six time now, and TWICE we have had the initial shoggoth appear at the train station. We have had every investigator roll the die immediately. I'm starting to think the shoggoths are reading these forums, so be careful what you say!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angel Rambo Sevilla
Philippines
Cebu
flag msg tools
Hahaha! Nice one Kevin.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris H
msg tools
If there's one thing I've learnt from Eldritch Horror rules it's that verbs count.

The rule on this states when a Shoggoth enters your space or you enter the Shoggoth's space. Key word is enters. Seeing the Shoggoth is already there as are the players, neither is really entering the other's space.

When this happened to us, we debated then applied Eldritch Horror logic and decided it was no sanity check.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
P_Pigly_Hogswine wrote:
If there's one thing I've learnt from Eldritch Horror rules it's that verbs count.

The rule on this states when a Shoggoth enters your space or you enter the Shoggoth's space. Key word is enters. Seeing the Shoggoth is already there as are the players, neither is really entering the other's space.

When this happened to us, we debated then applied Eldritch Horror logic and decided it was no sanity check.


Good point Chris - your Eldritch judgement makes sense!
I'll play the rule like this too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
P_Pigly_Hogswine wrote:
The rule on this states when a Shoggoth enters your space or you enter the Shoggoth's space. Key word is enters. Seeing the Shoggoth is already there as are the players, neither is really entering the other's space.

When this happened to us, we debated then applied Eldritch Horror logic and decided it was no sanity check.

The players start at the train station. Then a shoggoth is "placed". If you don't roll the die in this case, then you also would not roll a die later in the game if a shoggoth were "placed" on the same location as a player. That seems wrong.

But aside from that, the designer himself (Chuck Yager) has already given an official ruling earlier in this thread. It's perfectly fine if you want to play it differently, but it would be a house rule/variant.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't you know the Golden Rule of Cthulhu Games? It states that whenever a rule question arises that can't be answered by the rulebook/faq, you do what will hurt the players the most.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.