Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Yeung

Paradise Valley
Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
First Timer to Essen

I'll be at the convention Thursday - Saturday and staying near the railway station. Is it better for me to get the 4 day pass or 3 one day tickets with VRR? Would the ticket with VRR allow me to make multiple trips back to the hotel with the same ticket?

Let's say I make 2 rountrips each way to drop off items. which is better?

Thanks

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian Kurek
Germany
Mülheim an der Ruhr
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

are you staying in Essen or elsewhere?
And how much does your 4 day pass cost?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meow San

Chaos Realm of the Soul
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DomerHoo wrote:
First Timer to Essen

I'll be at the convention Thursday - Saturday and staying near the railway station. Is it better for me to get the 4 day pass or 3 one day tickets with VRR? Would the ticket with VRR allow me to make multiple trips back to the hotel with the same ticket?

Let's say I make 2 rountrips each way to drop off items. which is better?

Thanks

Kevin

bring a gigantic foldable bag or luggage(with wheels!!) or bring a cheap foldable trolley(found some around $25 & weight <3kg).. stuff the day's loot in them and deposit at the coat desk for only 2 euro end of day just wheel everything back

beats traveling to n fro. it's not overly near the distance of the main train hbf station n the messe halls although the train is convenient.

but that said the Kombi 1 day & VRR ticket is more convenient if this is your first time heading there by yourself. as for multiple trips per day i have no idea i usually get the 4 days pass since i'm going for 4 days and cheaper but for 3 days it's almost same price

found this in another thread for VRR tics
The price-category is A3. You can click on the A3 to view the different tickets for this category:
A single ticket (Einzelticket) (1 adult, 1 ride) is: 2,60€
A 4-ride-ticket (Viererticket) (1 adult, 4 rides) is: 9,60€
A 1-day-ticket for 2 adults (2 adults, any ride in the whole city of Essen by bus, tram, subway, local train (S-Bahn, RB, RE) is: 9,50€

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if you can use the 1-day tickets with VRR to travel back and forth during the day. So it might be saver with the 4 days and day tickets. Or just depositing stuff at the wardrobe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian Kurek
Germany
Mülheim an der Ruhr
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can travel back and forth with the VRR 1-day-ticket.
If you are going alone (and assuming you're staying in Essen) it costs 6,70 EUR a day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
Meowsan wrote:
bring a gigantic foldable bag or luggage(with wheels!!) or bring a cheap foldable trolley(found some around $25 & weight <3kg).. stuff the day's loot in them and deposit at the coat desk for only 2 euro

You don't need to bring anything. AEG do a thriving trade in giving you a giant bag when you buy something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meow San

Chaos Realm of the Soul
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jedit wrote:
Meowsan wrote:
bring a gigantic foldable bag or luggage(with wheels!!) or bring a cheap foldable trolley(found some around $25 & weight <3kg).. stuff the day's loot in them and deposit at the coat desk for only 2 euro

You don't need to bring anything. AEG do a thriving trade in giving you a giant bag when you buy something.

Yes they do but it didn't last long .. after i stuffed too many things into it, it tore like candy wrapers.. so sad that day...soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bring my Schmidt Spiele cloth bag for several years now. Stable, fits 3 TTR boxes + smaller stuff and has straps that are long enough to carry it over the shoulder. S you might want to buy something there for a similar bag

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think two or three years ago they had this bag for CV. It was huge! Completely filled with games, you couldn't carry it anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Yeung

Paradise Valley
Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for all the responses!

Look forward to seeing everyone soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Davies
United Kingdom
Haddenham
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the kombi ticket, it says ""that this VRR ticket is only valid in combination with your passport and your Print@home ticket."

Now, the print @ home bit I get, but does this mean I need my actual passport with me at all times?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hgzwopjp hgzwopjp
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fondue wrote:
On the kombi ticket, it says ""that this VRR ticket is only valid in combination with your passport and your Print@home ticket."

Now, the print @ home bit I get, but does this mean I need my actual passport with me at all times?

I'd guess they want to make sure it is *your* ticket, so I guess they'll be happy with any kind of official ID card, whether that is your passport ("Reisepass") or not (like your "Personalausweis" if you would be German). I have no own experience, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is probably not of interest for you, as you plan on going all days, but for other people who plan to only buy single-day tickets: For an additional 2 EUR, you can have the VRR Kombi-Ticket included in your fair ticket, so you'll be able to use the metro, bus and train service as well.

It's mentioned on http://www.merz-verlag-en.com/tickets--times.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A skinned math nerd wrote:
This is probably not of interest for you, as you plan on going all days, but for other people who plan to only buy single-day tickets: For an additional 2 EUR, you can have the VRR Kombi-Ticket included in your fair ticket, so you'll be able to use the metro, bus and train service as well.

Depending on where you stay these tickets may still be cheaper than a 4day ticket +separate train tickets
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SanktDavid
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick questions for something I'm hoping is obvious, but I'm just not aware of:

I purchased the 4-day Kombi ticket at a German tourist info office (at many train stations throughout Germany) and included the extra 2 euros in order to get the transit.

First question: Do I just hold on to that ticket and show it to conductors if asked about it? The ticket they gave me doesn't say anything about transit on it, ha, just 4 day access to Spiel.

Second question: Is that good for all trains in the VVR system? Specifically, will it get me access to S Bahn trains between Dusseldorf and Essen?

Thanks in advance for info!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
grummi
Germany
Neunkirchen-Seelscheid
flag msg tools
According to the website, the 4 day tickets are not available with Kombi Tickets.

Quote:
Kombi-Tickets: For additional 2,-- EUR per Ticket you can purchase a Kombi-Ticket, which allows you to use the public transfer within the area of Verkehrsverbund Rhein-Ruhr (VRR) to the fair and back. These tickets are only available in the advanced ticket sale and they are not available in combination with Family and Four-Day Tickets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
Germany
Essen
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Kombiticket is a ONE day only ticket.
and if it costs 17 EUR a day and a 4-dayticket costs 31 EUR
see the following calculations:

For staying in Essen ( ticketgroup A3 ) it is too expensive, if you stay here 4 days.

A EVAG tickret for one ride = 2,60 EUR ---
8x = 20,80 EUR + 31 EUR 4day Fairticket = 51,80 EUR
-- you can save 1,20 EUR, when you buy 2 x a 4erTicket for 2x 9.80 EUR
------------------------------------------------------------------------

For staying in Duisburg, Bochum, Oberhausen, Gelsenkirchen, Mühlheim, Velbert, Hattingen, Bochum, Herne ( ticketgroup B )

A VRR tickret for one ride = 5,70 EUR ---
8x = 45,60 EUR + 31 EUR 4day Fairticket = 76,60 EUR
-- you can save 4,80 EUR, when you buy 2 x a 4erTicket for 2x 20.40 EUR
If 4x a Kombi-Day-ticket cost only 17 EUR per day = 68 EUR
cheap way 71,80 to 68,- , you save 3,80 EUR with the Kombiticket
Dortmund Hbf and western parts of the town may be also ticket group B

For staying in Düsseldor or Dortmund or not in group B places it is ( ticketgroup C )

A VRR tickret for one ride = 11,80 EUR ---
8x = 94,40 EUR + 31 EUR 4day Fairticket = 125,40 EUR
-- you can save 11,20 EUR, when you buy 2 x a 4erTicket for 2x 41.60 EUR
If 4x a Kombi-Day-ticket cost only 17 EUR per day = 68 EUR
cheap way 114,20 to 68 , you save 46,20 EUR with the Kombiticket

In general, not staying in VRR ticket group A or B, for a ride to Essen, 4x buying a Kombi-day-ticket saves you 46,20 Euro

For checking your special ride, see

http://www.evag.de/fahrplan/fahrplanauskunft.html?language=e...

right colum says which ticket group it is -- buying a 4erTicket saves you a little money

Don`t forget to stamp your normal ticket or 4erTickett at the beginning of your ride

Hope this helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will there be a machine to buy a 4 ride ticket at every bus or Strassenbahn stop? And if so, do the machines take credit cards or cash?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SanktDavid
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Joscha, very helpful. It almost seems like buying 3 single day kombi tickets, even after buying my multi day pass, would be cheaper than actually getting separate transit tickets. Sigh. I wish I'd bothered to research this better before buying my tickets. Live and learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
debwentworth wrote:
Will there be a machine to buy a 4 ride ticket at every bus or Strassenbahn stop? And if so, do the machines take credit cards or cash?

Usually Cash. Or the EC Card, which is very popular here but most likely not a credit card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
A skinned math nerd wrote:

Where do you collect the tickets from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jo strating
Netherlands
flag msg tools

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query2.exe/dn?ld=15064&coun...

45307 Essen, Korumhöhe 11
Fußweg 5 Min.
Weg anzeigen
Wendelinstr., Essen (Ruhr) ab 08:13 Bus 146 Bus Richtung: Heis. Baldeneysee, Essen (Ruhr)
Niederflurfahrzeug
Hauptbahnhof Hst.8, Essen (Ruhr) an 08:42
Fußweg 5 Min.

Umsteigezeit anpassen
Hauptbahnhof (U), Essen (Ruhr) ab 08:49 U 11 U-Bahn Richtung: Messe West-Süd/Gruga, Essen (Ruhr)
Messe Ost/Gruga, Essen (Ruhr) an 08:54
Fußweg 4 Min.
Weg anzeigen
Essen - Rüttenscheid, Norbertstraße 1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dan kap
msg tools
I have a Question. If I have the Kombieticket can I use the train for free from Neuwied (RLP Rheinland-Pfalz area) to Essen or do I have to purchase a ticket to the VRR area first?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
Germany
Essen
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Sorry, but you have to purchase a ticket to the VRR area first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.