$20.00
$30.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
120 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: DUNGEON HACK - Play testers wanted for new Solo Dice Placement/Dungeon crawl game! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: a-voir [+] [View All]
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hail solo dice chucker's!

With all the recent excitement surrounding Star Trek the dice game and Deep Space D6 and the fact that I love playing both these games, I've been doing a lot of work on my own dice chucking game. And yes, you'll be happy to know it's not another space game! What I've been working on for quite awhile now is a Dice placement dungeon crawl! Yes I said it, a dungeon crawl that uses the same dice placement mechanic as Star Trek the dice game and Deep Space D6!
The game I've been working on so hard and play testing a lot is called Dungeon Hack - The dice game!

Dungeon Hack – The Dice Game: is a Solo Dice chucking, Dungeon crawling, Dice Placement, character advancing, card game. You’ll take [4] first-time adventurers’ [Fighter, Cleric, Thief, and Wizard] through a randomly generated dungeon with Rooms, Junction Rooms, Corridor Rooms and Corridors. You’ll have to organize your party with two characters in front and two in back just how you would normally travel in a 10’ wide dungeon corridor. The [4] “Multi-level” Character cards allow YOU to decide your party’s order. This creates Front Line attackers/defenders as well as second line defenders. Your characters will advance to the next level once they’ve accumulated enough experience killing monsters.

You’ll explore dungeon corridors and rooms, fight monsters, try to avoid and disarm traps, discover gold and magical items, and complete quests. Each turn you will roll the dice, evaluate your choices and perform your actions; destroying monsters, resolving traps and traveling deeper and deeper into the depths of the dungeon till you finally reach the ultimate goal – The Giant Red Dragon.
If you can stay alive and escape the dungeon with at least three of your party members, you earn the right to live as heroes; enjoying the spoils of victory.
Lose two or more of your party and you lose the game; becoming the next tragic story told at the local inn of a group of intrepid heroes seeking adventure and glory who never returned from the Red Dragon dungeon.

Here's the storyline...
“You are a party of stalwart adventures looking for riches and glory albeit you’ve never actually explored a dungeon or fought monsters. You’ve been traveling the roads for days, haggard and worn, you find yourself in a small quite town that seems almost abandoned. You make your way to the local inn and settle down for a nice hot meal when suddenly the door to the inn bursts open and what looks to be the local blacksmith calls out, “Derek’s farm on the outskirts of town has been attacked and the entire family has been slaughtered!” Never one to shy away from danger you walk over to the distraught blacksmith and ask about the family and what happened. He tells you of a giant Red Dragon that has been terrorizing the town; sending out his minions to attack the town folk and raid for supplies. These monsters seem to be coming from a dungeon just outside of town and there’s nothing the town folk can do about it. The blacksmith tells you that he has heard of riches beyond imagination within the dungeon but also monsters of unspeakable evil. After getting the location of the dungeon entrance you return to your party and talk excitedly about the current situation of the town and the Red Dragon. Again, never one to walk away from a good adventure, although this would be considered your first, your party agrees to find this dungeon, destroy the dragon and all its minions forever!

With everyone in agreement you procure a room for the night and settle in with visions of hundreds of screaming villagers chanting your name and praising your heroisms for killing the mighty red dragon and saving the town. Yet it doesn’t take long for a slight chill to run down your spine as your vision turns dark and terrifying with the sight of a massive red dragon and it’s all-consuming, breath of molten fire engulfing the entire party and turning everyone to ash! You quickly shake off the nightmarish vision and tightly close your eyes because tomorrow the adventure of your life begins!”

Here is DUNGEON HACK database entry:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/210645/dungeon-hack-dice...

Here is the component list:
Game Board
Dungeon Card Phase Chart
4 – “Double-sided” Character Cards – “Fighter, Cleric, Thief, Wizard”
1 – “Double-sided” Blessing Card
1 – RED large location marker
CUBES
1 – Black cube - Dungeon Card phase tracking
1 – Orange cubes – “Camp/Rest tracker”
6 – Red cubes – “Attack Reaction Initiative”
2 – Red cubes – “Fighter lvl and health”
2 – Blue cubes – “Wizard lvl and health”
2 – Yellow cubes – “Cleric lvl and health”
2 – Black cubes – “Thief lvl and health”
DICE
9 – Custom d6 “Character Action Dice”
1 – Black d6 – “Monster attack and initiative die”
1 – Black d4 – “Character damage allocation die”
CARDS
4 – Poison cards
10 – Quest cards????
10 – Trap cards
22 – Treasure cards
20 – Level 1 Monster cards
10 – Level 2 Monster cards
6 – Level 3 Monster cards
4 – Big Boss cards
DUNGEON TILES
1 – Dungeon Entrance tile
1 – Red Dragon room tile
8 – Dungeon CR “Corridor Room” cards
6 – Dungeon C “Corridor” cards
4 – Dungeon J “Junction” cards
4 – Dungeon R “Room” cards

Improvement The Game board:

Improvement Regroup card:

The Character cards:
Improvement Level 1

Improvement Level 2

Improvement Spell books cards:

The Blessing card:

Some Monster, Treasure and Trap cards:

Some higher level monsters and the Big Boss Red Dragon monster cards:

The poison/disease cards:

Dungeon Door card:

Dungeon QUEST cards:

Dungeon Quest Magic Items and town Bazaar:

The Dungeon tiles:

The Dungeon tile phase chart:

The peripheral dice:

The wood cubes:

and last but not least, the custom action dice:

The rules are almost finalized and I'm going over the details of each page. I'm looking for play testers and hoping to get some much needed feedback. If anyone is interested please PM me and I'll send you the Dropbox link with all the files. Please only contact me if you're serious about play testing the game and giving feedback regarding your play, the rules and the mechanics. All the cards are sized 2"x3.5" so you can print them front and back on Avery 28877 10-card label sheets.

Thanks for reading and any interest you feel like showing.

Sincerely,

Joseph Propati

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Play testers wanted for my new Solo Dice Placement/Dungeon crawl game!
kingspud wrote:
And yes, you'll be happy to know it's not another space game!

Aw I was hoping for a Babylon 5 game

Anyway...

Unfortunately I don't really have time right now to playtest anything, but I'd love to see the rules.

I'm most curious about how the map tiles work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Guijo
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting. I dont know if i hav the components to make myself a copy and playtest, i will look for the cubes and stuff.
I can only print black and white, is it a problem?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Bear King
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sounds interesting. I can't tackle a PnP that large right now though. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kalisto59 wrote:
Very interesting. I dont know if i hav the components to make myself a copy and playtest, i will look for the cubes and stuff.
I can only print black and white, is it a problem?

No, you can print color or black and white!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cory swafford
United States
Waterbury
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the idea of this and was looking for a PnP project. I could get you some feedback for sure. i have cubes, sleeves, dice and access to a printer. shouldn't be too much of a hassle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Guijo
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok then. Im in. Can you send me the files in PDF?, i think there can be a lot of game in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
kingspud wrote:

Sincerely,

Joseph Propati

I'll give it a whirl as soon as the files posted are posted... If the cards are "business" cards, there are perforated business cards you can run through your printer- at least that's what I plan to do.

And I'm *assuming* you have a conversion chart for regular d6->custom faces. Much easier to just test that way...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick addendum: the Avery template # is 28877!

Sorry for the mixup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Is it normal for dragons to have minions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of you who are interested in play testing please PM me since it's much easier to keep track of who you are then trying to sort you out through this list.
Thanks

I'm also adding a nice bonus to those who participate in the play testing and helpful feedback.
PM me for details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenTea532 wrote:

Remember, they are very intelligent and master manipulators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenTea532 wrote:

Well, yes ..

Just remember the fantasy novels of Dragonlance (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonlance), where the minions are "Draconians" - humanoid forms of dragons with their nasty "special effects".

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenTea532 wrote:

Oh yes! It is quite common, and happens in a number of pen-and-paper RPGs and video games.

Some RPGs where dragons have minions:
Dungeons & Dragons particularly Forgotten Realms and Council of Wyrms
Shadowrun
Tonight we slay a dragon, or die in the attempt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
kingspud wrote:

Sincerely,

Joseph Propati

Do you want comments/feedback here, or e-mail?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ramsey

North Dakota
msg tools
mbmb
Just a note: I think the name "beholder" has some kind of copywrite on it.
I'm pretty sure you can use that monster but I believe you will have to come up with a different name.

Something to check into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Mosbaugh
United States
san leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I spend more time playing solo games than with other people. Look forward to seeing the files and giving this a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm certainly curious and would be interested in helping with play testing (though I've never done it before). My big question is, how does a pnp work when you need custom dice to play it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
govmiller wrote:
kingspud wrote:

Sincerely,

Joseph Propati

Do you want comments/feedback here, or e-mail?

Yes, feedback would be good here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mattramsey wrote:
Just a note: I think the name "beholder" has some kind of copywrite on it.
I'm pretty sure you can use that monster but I believe you will have to come up with a different name.

Something to check into.

I'll check into it since I'm not locked onto the name which can really be anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Okay, initial feedback (still printing stuff)...

Rules went okay- found a few typos that will get flushed out with re-writes. Was a bit much- seemed like so much for what appears to be a small game. I'm not sure that can be helped, but again, some more editing and the addition of more eyes should get that cleared up.

Other notes. 9 dice or 10? The rules (and you in your video) say 9, yet you roll 10 dice.

The board I printed has no spaces for the healing points. It just has some arrows next to the two rest icons and that's it. And the board shows a full page, which means printer margins are going to eat some of the board. Or should the board be scaled to fit? If so, will the dice, cards and tokens still fit on the board?

The ARI almost looks to be more trouble than it's worth. I was surprised at how long combat lasted. And to go through 17 rooms of monsters, traps and treasure just to get to the dragon seems a bit much. And added to that, various random monsters if I have to track back through the dungeon. How long do you expect a game to last?

Hope to have everything printed and mounted and ready this weekend. It looks like my gaming space is large enough for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
govmiller wrote:
Okay, initial feedback (still printing stuff)...

Rules went okay- found a few typos that will get flushed out with re-writes. Was a bit much- seemed like so much for what appears to be a small game. I'm not sure that can be helped, but again, some more editing and the addition of more eyes should get that cleared up.

Other notes. 9 dice or 10? The rules (and you in your video) say 9, yet you roll 10 dice.

The board I printed has no spaces for the healing points. It just has some arrows next to the two rest icons and that's it. And the board shows a full page, which means printer margins are going to eat some of the board. Or should the board be scaled to fit? If so, will the dice, cards and tokens still fit on the board?

The ARI almost looks to be more trouble than it's worth. I was surprised at how long combat lasted. And to go through 17 rooms of monsters, traps and treasure just to get to the dragon seems a bit much. And added to that, various random monsters if I have to track back through the dungeon. How long do you expect a game to last?

Hope to have everything printed and mounted and ready this weekend. It looks like my gaming space is large enough for the game.

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the initial feedback. If you print the board to fit, you just need to make sure you print the character cards to fit also, then everything should fit together nicely. I printed the board on an 11x17 cardstock sheet which allowed me to get a full board without the white border. I may have to adjust the game board so compensate for the border using an 8.5x11 sheet. the dice will still fit on the character cards using to fit.

You are correct, it should be 10 dice! I will update this in the rules. I'm also going through the rules and doing a lot of cleanup so this should fix some of the errors you have seen. Thanks for catching the 10 dice issue!!!

I've uploaded an updated version to the rules so you can grab it in dropbox.

A good estimate of time should be around 45min to play but this can go faster once you have the rules down and can mover through combat pretty quickly.

The ARI was used because without it the game is incredibly hard since you either hit all monsters or they hit you. By breaking it up it kind of follows the realistic level process of monsters with lower levels easier to hit and higher level not so easy to hit all the time. Plus, this breaks up the attacks where you may be able to defeat some monster, heal and then block others before they get to attack you and cause damage.

The number of rooms is what I really want to see the most feedback from because of combat and the number of rolls, this way I know if I need to drop the room count or increase it. This is something that can be modified and not change the game too drastically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick heads up to all play testers:

Sorry that I had the wrong game board in dropbox. I've uploaded the correct game board with the camp/rest track! My bad!

I've also added a PDF sheet with the 4 character poison cards! Sorry that I missed that.

Thanks everyone!

Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kellett
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Printed everything off before I left work yesterday. I'm having a week's break driving round Scotland with my girlfriend, so I probably won't get much chance to look at the game (although I'll pack it just in case - if nothing else I can proofread the rules), so I expect it will be a week on Monday before I get to properly sit down and give it a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
AnimalMkIV wrote:
Printed everything off before I left work yesterday. I'm having a week's break driving round Scotland with my girlfriend, so I probably won't get much chance to look at the game (although I'll pack it just in case - if nothing else I can proofread the rules), so I expect it will be a week on Monday before I get to properly sit down and give it a try.

Getting feedback on the rules will be a big help, for everyone.

thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.