$30.00
Honor Alexandria
msg tools
Because...the rulebook is terrible.

But really, I ran through the first solo adventure, and I mostly enjoyed it, although I failed the adventure. This was a little disheartening after seeing so many people posting (not here) about how over-powered Drizz't is. <Sigh>

But! in my defense, I managed to pull the Troll AND the Drow Wizard for my final two monsters surprise (and this is after I dealt with the Drider) AND I forgot about the -4AC to the monsters in the narrow passage and I think I was moving monsters incorrectly the entire time...

which brings me to these questions that I can't seem to find clarification for anywhere (probably because they are really simple).

1. Moving monsters on the villain phase:
I know that when placing monsters they get put on the mushroom patch, and when moving monsters they get moved to the mushroom patch on the next tile. So how does this work with tactics that state: "it moves adjacent to the closest hero and attacks" (e.g. Drow Duelist). Does this mean the Duelist moves to the mushroom patch on the tile with the closest hero, or does he actually move to the square next to (adjacent) the hero?

I was moving the monster to the square next to the hero, because that follows the tactic, but it seemed like I was getting attacked a LOT. Which brings me to...

1b. For the solo adventure at least, it seems the hero gets attacked every turn (if they explore) as exploring always reveals a new monster, and monsters usually get to attack if they are within 1 tile. Is this an accurate statement?

2. If Drizz't gets an extra attack, couldn't he technically move, move, attack? Move 14 squares and then attack? If that's true I definitely didn't take advantage of that. (ETA: Ok I found the thread discussing this. Basically, it's up to the player's/team's interpretation, but move+move+attack would not be unreasonable and supported by the rules. Yes?)

3. Drizz'ts "Dancing Serpent" lets him move 2 squares before or after the attack. I'm assuming this is 2 squares in addition to (or irrespective of) his "regular" movement? Because otherwise this ability seems useless...

Any hints or tips to NOT messing up that first adventure? I feel rather foolish for failing the very first one...

(It's nearly 3am and I wanna re-play the game to try to win. I have to be up in 6 hours for work tomorrow... hah!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto Hietanen
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honoralexandria wrote:
Because...the rulebook is terrible.

But really, I ran through the first solo adventure, and I mostly enjoyed it, although I failed the adventure. This was a little disheartening after seeing so many people posting (not here) about how over-powered Drizz't is. <Sigh>

But! in my defense, I managed to pull the Troll AND the Drow Wizard for my final two monsters surprise (and this is after I dealt with the Drider) AND I forgot about the -4AC to the monsters in the narrow passage and I think I was moving monsters incorrectly the entire time...

The game gets a lot easier when you get a better understanding of the mechanics and get a better feel of the encounters, allowing you to use XP more efficiently to discard the nastier Encounter Cards.

Honoralexandria wrote:

which brings me to these questions that I can't seem to find clarification for anywhere (probably because they are really simple).

1. Moving monsters on the villain phase:
I know that when placing monsters they get put on the mushroom patch, and when moving monsters they get moved to the mushroom patch on the next tile. So how does this work with tactics that state: "it moves adjacent to the closest hero and attacks" (e.g. Drow Duelist). Does this mean the Duelist moves to the mushroom patch on the tile with the closest hero, or does he actually move to the square next to (adjacent) the hero?

I was moving the monster to the square next to the hero, because that follows the tactic, but it seemed like I was getting attacked a LOT. Which brings me to...

1b. For the solo adventure at least, it seems the hero gets attacked every turn (if they explore) as exploring always reveals a new monster, and monsters usually get to attack if they are within 1 tile. Is this an accurate statement?

2. If Drizz't gets an extra attack, couldn't he technically move, move, attack? Move 14 squares and then attack? If that's true I definitely didn't take advantage of that. (ETA: Ok I found the thread discussing this. Basically, it's up to the player's/team's interpretation, but move+move+attack would not be unreasonable and supported by the rules. Yes?)

3. Drizz'ts "Dancing Serpent" lets him move 2 squares before or after the attack. I'm assuming this is 2 squares in addition to (or irrespective of) his "regular" movement? Because otherwise this ability seems useless...

A1) Monsters move to mushroom squares when they move by tiles and nothing else specifies where in that tile. When the monsters attack, they typically move adjacent to the hero, so you put them adjacent to the hero (the default mushroom square is not used). Note that the adjacent square can be in a different tile than you, this can be used to your advantage in the game.

A1b) Yes.

A2) There are different interpretations, but you already have found the relevant thread.

A3) Yes, it is additional movement that he gets when he takes the attack action. Very useful for example for moving to the tile's edge to explore after killing the monster, as the Encounter card "punishment" for loitering (= not exploring) can be quite bad in these games.

I think that you probably had a bit of bad luck with the monsters, but without knowing what you did it is a bit hard to give good pointers. Drizzt with his movement and extra attack ability should be able to kill the monster and explore almost every Hero Phase. If you do that, the adventure should be easily doable. Also I would like to add that if you are playing with the Starter Deck, Drizzt is not as tough as he is when he gets his full powers. When he uses the Last Blood stance and Twinkle, he can kill most monsters without even taking a point of damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McIntyre
United States
Grand Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you pulled a Troll you have the advanced deck in there. Take out the advanced cards. The rule book or the adventure book states which cards are the advanced cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
skullbucket wrote:
If you pulled a Troll you have the advanced deck in there. Take out the advanced cards. The rule book or the adventure book states which cards are the advanced cards.

I think there is at least one Feral Troll in the Starting deck. Card 30 of 200. But all the same, worth checking.

Here's the reference in the rulebook.
Page 4 wrote:
To Start Playing:
✦ When you first open the box, you’ll find two decks of 100
cards each: the Starting Deck and the Advanced Deck. For
your first couple of games, just use the Starting Deck cards
(numbered 1–100). Once you’re familiar with how the
game plays, you’ll be ready for some of the more advanced
cards. See “The Advanced Deck” on page 14.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jacobs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
skullbucket wrote:

I think there is at least one Feral Troll in the Starting deck. Card 30 of 200. But all the same, worth checking.

Here's the reference in the rulebook.
Page 4 wrote:
To Start Playing:
✦ When you first open the box, you’ll find two decks of 100
cards each: the Starting Deck and the Advanced Deck. For
your first couple of games, just use the Starting Deck cards
(numbered 1–100). Once you’re familiar with how the
game plays, you’ll be ready for some of the more advanced
cards. See “The Advanced Deck” on page 14.

Fun fact. I've been playing these since Castle Ravenloft, and I never noticed I was supposed to separate decks in LoD.

Having played so much of these, it makes sense I wouldn't notice, but still, that's funny to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Krokavec
Slovakia
flag msg tools
The Honoralexandria's answer doesn't really answer the OP's 1st question and I am interested in the same.

So for example I have these 2 tiles where H is my Hero and D is a Hunting Drake that has following tactics (X is wall, O is an open square, M is mushroom)

*If the hunting Drake is within 1 tile of a Hero, it moves adjacent to the closet Hero and attacks that hero with a rending bite
*Otherwise, the Hunting Drake moves 2 tiles toward the Hero with the fewest Hit Points remaining.

XXXX|XOOX
OOOH|OXOX
OMOO|ODOX
XOOX|XXXX

Left tile is nothing special, the right tile, where Drake spawned, is a narrow passage which gives it -4AC.

So when the Villain Phase begins, the Drake moves... Where exactly? He is on a different tile at the beginning because it spawned on the mushroom. So does he move to ANY (my choosing which?) square that is adjacent to my Hero able to immediately attack or does he move to the mushroom spot where he is no immediate threat?

If it's the former I can impose a significant penalty on the Drake if I leave him at its tile with -4AC moving it just 1 square left or diagonally up-left. If I move it to any other adjacent spot he can attack and has no penalty in defense. So if I want to "help" myself a bit, I'd move it just one square to the left for example. Which could be logically explained as the Drake is ferocious and attacks blindly and is not very intelligent - so it moves to the closest square that lets him attack my Hero.

How should I solve this scenario?

(Posting again, because the forum glitched on me)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jacobs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In the case of the drake, you can place him on any adjacent square, regardless of tile. This means that you can choose to make it easier or harder.

I usually make choices on that based on the starting position of the monster. Basically, whatever makes sense, like your explanation of the drake's behavior.

Sometimes that works out in my favor, sometimes no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto Hietanen
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
krokyk wrote:
So does he move to ANY (my choosing which?) square that is adjacent to my Hero able to immediately attack or does he move to the mushroom spot where he is no immediate threat?

Yes, you move it to any square adjacent to the hero and then it immediately attacks. Be it the stupidity of the monster, or the skillful maneuvering by the hero, you can and should place it to the Narrow Passage where the drake is easier to hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Krokavec
Slovakia
flag msg tools
Thanks guys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Martin
Australia
flag msg tools
Bartheus wrote:
krokyk wrote:
So does he move to ANY (my choosing which?) square that is adjacent to my Hero able to immediately attack or does he move to the mushroom spot where he is no immediate threat?

Yes, you move it to any square adjacent to the hero and then it immediately attacks. Be it the stupidity of the monster, or the skillful maneuvering by the hero, you can and should place it to the Narrow Passage where the drake is easier to hit.

So if one wanted to create, monster/hero intelligence ratings.
One could use this to remove the need to, "have to", make a decision on this help/hinder placement dilemma

Roll a die

Ah....think I see why the developers kept their finger out of this dilemma.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.