Hide
12 Posts

Roll Player» Forums » General

Subject: Rogue + Hermit = Powerhouse rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan McGechaen
msg tools
These two cards would be DEVASTATING together, holy crap.

I really like how just like in RPGs, there are a few really OP combos you can have. Keeps the game interesting.

Also, I overestimated the Monk - I thought it would be easy, but even with his extra action getting all your attribute scores is hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who haven't played it, please give a description of what this means!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Matejka
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The Rogue doesn't have to move the marker on their alignment card when using a Skill card. The Hermit Alignment card has 3VP's underneath the starting spot. So, if you use skills, you don't have to move the marker off the 3VP spot on the alignment card.

It's nice that the rogue can use lots of skills, but it's not a guaranteed 3 VPs.

The rub here is, the marker still moves when you purchase a Trait card, so if you buy trait cards, you still need to figure out how to get it back to the center space assuming you are shooting for those 3 VPs (using the WIS attribute action or other traits).

The tricky part about playing with the Hermit card, is you start in a good spot for points, but it's tough to keep it there by the end of the game.

I hope that helps.

Keith
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To the OP: I'd be careful using terms like "devastating" and "OP" (overpowered), as they imply there are card combos that "break" the game. So far that's not been my experience with Roll Player. As Keith (the designer) said in his response, there are still ways to mess up your alignment as a Hermit Rogue, and this is only one of several scoring dimensions that you need to manage during the game. If you avoid Traits to prevent your alignment from moving, you're potentially avoiding some nice scoring cards. So while this card combo can be nice for managing your alignment points, it's not unbalanced or game breaking in any way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mastandrea
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the combo my brother used: Rogue and Cure Wounds to be annoying (mostly in a good way) as he just kept increasing his stats to exactly what he needed. Have played the game twice, both with 4 players. We all enjoy (my wife isn't too into it, but I never thought she would). Both times 1 point separated first and second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels Thornberg
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have only played the game 3 times and I find it great. The Rogue did seem to be powerful, but I have only encountered it once. The player that had the rogue won the game with a large margin. He used its special ability together with skill cards like cure wound and negotiate (??). Basically allowing him to rig the game to his advantage. It would be great if you could have a skill that could counter skill cards like negotiate. Like neutralize it.

Cant wait to play it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Green archer needs food badly!
badge
I am to misbehave.
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect the rogue player one so handily because his optimal strategy for the game was obvious and easy. As you all get better and learn the cards the rogue will seem less advantageous. I find it often easy to fall into a trap with the rogue where I focus on skill cards and the mini game and out on big points from armor and trait cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Monro
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Admittedly I've only played solo once and I'd guess had a fair amount of luck, but the Monk seems semi broken for solo play. I ended up with 47 points, which is way over the top tier scoring. In a quick search I didn't see any threads on the monk or higher scores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Matejka
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd agree that the Monk is super useful to lock in your attribute goals, but if you're using that ability, you're not buying as many cards, which often have valuable point that you need to hit those upper scores. What other strategies do you using in conjunction? Some favorites of mine with the Monk are Obnoxious or Reckless w/ Clumsy, Foolish and Weak. Loyal is also a great one for the monk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sea
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kmatejka wrote:
Some favorites of mine with the Monk are Obnoxious or Reckless w/ Clumsy, Foolish and Weak. Loyal is also a great one for the monk.

A weak monk that is obnoxious & reckless, often making clumsy moves, yet remains foolishly loyal to the higher ups...

.... so, a politician then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Monro
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Most cards only yield a few points. Ones like greedy and I think it was focused? (2 points per stat with all dice the same #) tried two more games after that last post and got 38 and 49. ~20 attribute actions (total, i.e. another 8) makes a world of difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Greenberg
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found Monk and Greedy to be really powerful. Discarding cards allowed me to use the extra attribute adjustments (I started out with 6 1's and 2's) AND generate gold that turned into victory points.

Ended up with 32 points in our first game and that was with 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.