Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hi!

i've purchased core box a couple of days ago. no play yet, but i'm thinking about the cards i have and the possibility to get more copies (in a easy and cheap way). i've read about getting proxies, but before that, did anybody to try this:

-write down a list with the cards you want to copy, showing the amount of them, too.
-create your deck with one card less for each card you want to copy (taking account quantity).
-when you discard a written card, cross out it from your list, and shuffle that card in your deck.

any thought about that will be welcome. i'm absolutely noob about the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcio Ferreira
Portugal
Viana do Castelo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

I also own a single copy of the core game, no expansions, and have played only a dozen times mainly solo.

But going to your question,
I don't understand the 2nd point - wouldn't this e.g. prevent to have a starting hand with 2 copies of a card that you have twice in your list?
Nevertheless, the discarded cards need to be in the discard pile, you can't suffle them back, as there are cards that interact with the discard pile;

I know that there is a topic/blog where this is discussed, exactly for this game, but can recall it now...

My feeling, and from what I've read here, is that if you own only the core box, and if you'll be playing mostly solo, I think the cards are enough (despite the last adventure seems quite hard).
What I'm not sure is: if one starts buying expansions, are there any really relevant cards from the core set that you need them in more quantity?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goryon wrote:

I don't understand the 2nd point - wouldn't this e.g. prevent to have a starting hand with 2 copies of a card that you have twice in your list?

yes. if you have twice in your list is because you have only a copy of this card. (there is a limit of 3 copies for each card). the card you subtracts from deck is not necessarily the same card you want to copy.

the 2nd point is exclusively for keeping the size of deck (30 cards, or 50 cards, isn't?). if you didn't substract one card for each re-shuffled card, you would be playing a deck with more cards.

goryon wrote:

Nevertheless, the discarded cards need to be in the discard pile, you can't suffle them back, as there are cards that interact with the discard pile;

i didn't known that. as i said, i'm noob. and no play yet. maybe this is more early variant i had never done. whistle

i will forget this idea if the cards in the discard pile is a important element for the play.

thanks for reply!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want multiple cards in your deck and you don't have enough, use some other card you aren't otherwise using in your deck and pretend it is the card you want. You might want to keep at least one copy of the actual card out of the deck so that you can remember what it does when your dummy card shows up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goryon wrote:
Hi!

I also own a single copy of the core game, no expansions, and have played only a dozen times mainly solo.

But going to your question,

I know that there is a topic/blog where this is discussed, exactly for this game, but can recall it now...

My feeling, and from what I've read here, is that if you own only the core box, and if you'll be playing mostly solo, I think the cards are enough (despite the last adventure seems quite hard).
What I'm not sure is: if one starts buying expansions, are there any really relevant cards from the core set that you need them in more quantity?

There a many you may want: Sneak Attack, Unexpected Courage, Feint, Forest Snare, Celebrian's Stone and Steward of Gondor (you can only play one each of these last two at a time because they are unique, but having 2 or 3 in your deck gets them in your hand faster and if an encounter deck forces you to loose it (some can do that) you might have a spare in your hand).
So yes I recommend a second Core after you've played it a bit, it gives you extras of these and others, spare copies of heroes, extra dials to make it easier to play with friends. Oh and it's nice to have a second box to store expansion sets in

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Ft. Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There aren't that many cards in the core set. Go ahead and sleeve with penny sleeves and proxy any you want in your deck but don't have three of.

Once you decide to go all in and buy more expansions (you will, oh just you wit); then consider your options of either:

1) buy two more core set (expensive and wasteful).
2) buy one more core set and proxy the last few cards (middle option).
3) hunt down cards on eBay (cheap but time consuming).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.