Conan» Forums » Rules

Subject: Regarding movement - Hunting the Tigress example rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dario garcia
msg tools
mbmb
Hi all,

I have a doubt regarding basic movement rules, which has a strong impact for the hunting the tigress scenario. Hope you guys can clarify it for me. First the facts.

The, AFAIK, last rules available [1] state that "once per action phase, a hero can gain a number of movement points equal to their movement value if the hero has not yet performed a Move during that phase. When a hero performs an action other than a Move each turn, the hero loses all of their movement points. The hero can still perform a Move to gain movement points that turn."

According to this extract, the movement points provided by the hero's movement value can only be used the first thing in your turn, since if the hero has performed a Move during that phase, or if the hero performs an action other than a Move, he loses them.

However, in the same document, same page, there is an example where Conan first kills 2 enemies and then moves out. The text says: "It will cost him a total of 3 movement points. The first 2 points come from his base movement, and the last point requires that he assign a gem to his Move space". This seems to contradict the sentence "When a hero performs an action other than a Move each turn, the hero loses all of their movement points", and implies a most restrictive case (you can only use movement value points before doing anything else).

After reading and re-reading the same text several times, I decided what makes more sense to me is that you can use the movement points provided by the hero's movement value whenever you want, as long as you use them consecutively. You cannot use one movement value point, do something else, and then use another one. But you can do something before you start using them (e.g., attacking as in the page 11 example).
Regardless, this seems like a very basic rule, so I'd like to have it clarified.

The importance of this rule is obvious in the scenario "Hunting the Tigress" [2], where, if there are no restrictions, Shevatas could potentially open the three chests found in the upper boat on his first Action phase by using only 4 gems:
movement value point (no gem) + manipulation (1gem) + 2 movement value points (no gem) + manipulation (1gem) + movement action (1gem) + manipulation (1gem)

If my interpretation is correct, or the most restrictive options is correct (you can only use movement value points before doing anything else) it would cost him 6 gems instead:
movement value point (no gem) + manipulation (1gem) + 2 movement actions (2 gems) + manipulation (1gem) + movement action (1gem) + manipulation (1gem)

[1] http://www.monolithedition.com/download/rules/CONAN_barbaria... , page 11
[2] http://www.monolithedition.com/download/rules/CONAN_barbaria... , page 12

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mackin
United Kingdom
Shipley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My reading of the rules based on the example where Conan kills 2 enemies and then moves is that you can use the movement points provided by the hero's movement value whenever you want but you have to use them consecutively, if you do any other action any unused movement points are lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bad Kam
msg tools
Hi,

" I decided what makes more sense to me is that you can use the movement points provided by the hero's movement value whenever you want, as long as you use them consecutively. You cannot use one movement value point, do something else, and then use another one. But you can do something before you start using them"

Your understanding of the rule is correct
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Colapietro
United States
Endicott
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dariog wrote:
According to this extract, the movement points provided by the hero's movement value can only be used the first thing in your turn, ...

No - the rules states:

dariog wrote:
"once per action phase, a hero can gain a number of movement points equal to their movement value if the hero has not yet performed a Move during that phase. ... "

It never states that this must happen at the beginning of the action phase, so the hero may take other actions prior to gaining the movement points.

The rules as written are a round-about way of stating that you can move up to your full movement value once per turn, and cannot interrupt the movement to perform other actions then resume movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Berglund
Sweden
Upplands Vasby
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the most confusing part of the rule book and I can't make any interpretation (including those in the posts above) which isn't contradicted by any rule or example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K. Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
By Crom !
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's that confusing.

Rules p. 16: During the Action phase, heroes can perform actions in any order,

Movement is an action.
The first time you want to move in a turn, you must start with your base movement. Then, if you perform any other actions than move, your base movement ends. Hereafter you can buy extra movement points with stamina gems.

EDIT: I should mention that the rules are much easier to understand in the french version. Here it's clearly stated that the first movement must be the base movement

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Berglund
Sweden
Upplands Vasby
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your explanation is correct, but if these are the published rules I'm sure we'll see many more questions about movement when the game is released.
They are confusing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the thing that is confusing people is the "When a hero performs an action other than a Move each turn, the hero loses all of their movement points".

I believe what that is saying is that if you take a move action and, before using all of your movement points, you take another action, you lose all your remaining movement points. That is not the same thing as saying if you take another action you cannot then take a move action to gain movement points if you haven't taken a move action yet.

Losing points and prohibiting gaining movement points are two different things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dario garcia
msg tools
mbmb
EvanMinn wrote:
I think the thing that is confusing people is the "When a hero performs an action other than a Move each turn, the hero loses all of their movement points".

I believe what that is saying is that if you take a move action and, before using all of your movement points, you take another action, you lose all your remaining movement points. That is not the same thing as saying if you take another action you cannot then take a move action to gain movement points if you haven't taken a move action yet.

Losing points and prohibiting gaining movement points are two different things.

I agree. That sentence must mean that. But it doesn't.
Let's hope they fixed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I am going to explain it when teaching is: You get one movement action per turn and you can't split your movement.

Most people I play with will understand that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Berglund
Sweden
Upplands Vasby
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EvanMinn wrote:
The way I am going to explain it when teaching is: You get one movement action per turn and you can't split your movement.

Most people I play with will understand that.

The way I'm going to explain it is that you have to use your free movement first, which is a no-brainer anyway, and then you can take several move actions whenever you want up to your move limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
frederic Henry
France
Itteville
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi.
First of all, excuse my broken english.

The point is that it is a ambiguous way of explaination.I apologize.

The Rule is :
- you can move WHEN YOU WANT.
- yoursfirst move in a turn is always performed with your "Move Points Basis".
- IF you INTERRUPT This free Move with an other action, you lose the remaining Free Move points you didn t used. You will have to pay for All others Move points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dario garcia
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the clarification Frederic. It's a rare pleasure to have your questions answered by the game designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.