Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Lum
United States
Castro Valley
California
flag msg tools
If so, why?

Looked through the previous threads and can't believe nobody's compared the two. I'm trying to keep my game cabinet lean and (and my budget leaner), but this game does indeed look like a Betrayal killer.

For me, Betrayal was all about the feeling of exploring a haunted house (in the first half of the game) and I was never completely into the (2nd half) "betrayal" part. I'm also a sucker for complete co-op games.

However when comparing the two, one of the big strengths that I still see for Betrayal is the huge assortment of "bad guys" you could encounter from the various scenarios and the variety that they offered. Does Mansions offer enough variability in baddies to even remotely compete with that? Anything else that I'm missing that Betrayal does better?

I guess I can fool myself into spending the $$ on Mansions, if I can reason that it's "the next level" of Betrayal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both games but I do not really understand your point. They are completely different games and not that comparable in my opinion. Sure, they both resolve around a haunted house, but that's where the similarity ends in my opinion.

I do believe MoM 2 is better than Betrayal at house on the hill, though. Just as the Original MoM was also better than Betrayal at house on the hill. But on the other hamd, Betrayal plays quicker and is easier to set up and teach. Some will say that it is also more replayable due to the complete randomness of the game (which is exactly the reason that I don't like it as much as MoM).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy B
United Kingdom
Mold
Clwyd
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope...don't like to leave people hanging without an answer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Betrayal is good for that rare instance where you have 6 players instead of five. Betrayal has more replayability, as well. Betrayal is good at generating interesting stories of how things went crazy.

However, MoM is a much better game. It tells a more complete story that is cohesive. Replayability can suffer, due to limited variation for some scenarios, but there is monster variety...(although, for the most part, they dont feel too different. They just feel like stats).

I feel like despite similar theming, that i still want to have both. I rarely pull out betrayal, but i think it has a novelty that most games dont have. For that reason, i want to keep it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both, and would play MoM over Betrayal every time given the choice. However, Betrayal can fit into an hour and can accommodate 6 players, which are two things MoM can't do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What Alexander said.

There may not be many direct comparisons yet between 2E and Betrayal, but they were pretty common back in the 1E days.

The problem is they're not really comparable. They really only have superficial similarities in theme and are far more different than they are similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Braun
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Because... sometimes I feel like a nut, sometimes I don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Edwards
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, and I will be keeping both. As has been said, they are actually quite different. Betrayal is light, short and great fun when people get into the spirit of it, even if it can fall a bit flat sometimes. MoM gives a more immersive experience and is now a tighter game. As yet I'd say MoM doesn't have the replayability of Betrayal, but we can expect a steady release of new scenarios to the app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I had both but sold Betrayal only because I wanted to pare down my collection and of the two, I like MoM2 a bit more for what others have already said.

But both are excellent and have similar mechanics but really aren't "the same game".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MoM2 is a scripted experience. Once you've run scenario X a few times, you have a general idea of what's going to happen. Maybe not the order, or the monster type, or the specific location of the final scene, but you have a general idea. The players are working together from the beginning and are more likely to stay in either one big clump or maybe split into two slightly smaller clumps.

Betrayal is a random experience. The Haunt could fire after the first Omen or the 13th (but probably somewhere in between). The house will be somewhat similar each time, but certain rooms will be on different floors depending on when they got explored. The party is much more likely to split up from the beginning. There are 50+ possible scenarios you're actually playing, and you won't know which one it is until the Haunt begins, and then it's dependent on which Omen appeared in a given room.

They are definitely different experiences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
jefflum wrote:

For me, Betrayal was all about the feeling of exploring a haunted house (in the first half of the game) and I was never completely into the (2nd half) "betrayal" part. I'm also a sucker for complete co-op games.

Well, you're probably not going to like the Insanity mechanism in Mansions then. Luckily, it's a part of the game you can somewhat ignore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Beck
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both and play both. I don't see that they are the same game at all. Betrayal is a light, quick, 1 v the rest but you don't know who the '1' is at first. Great fun but different itch to MoM or MoM2. MoM2 is a much longer (but not overly rules heavy) co-op which is more about the story than defeating one of the other players.

Sorry but I don't see the comparison beyond the obvious theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lum
United States
Castro Valley
California
flag msg tools
Yeah, I guess I should've clarified a bite more. I understand both games have different gameplay mechanics on the same type of theme. For me though, the themes were close enough that I couldn't help but compare em to see if they might overlap in scratching the same itch.

I was also trying to justify spending top dollar on Mansions based upon the overall game experience that it offered over Betrayal (for better or for worse). I know that's going to vary based upon individual preference, but I just wanted some feedback from those that owned both and y'all have given me some points to consider.

So far still on the fence, but mainly because of that price point. However, I'm sure once more scenarios become available for Mansions my resistance will completely crumble...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tea Hagen
msg tools
mbmb
Own both and so far I would rank them:

1.MoM
2.Betrayel
3.MoM 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I own both because I am an "explore the haunted house game" kind of guy.

That is why I also own Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters and the rather sad and pitiful Haunting House games by Twilight Creations.

Each of these games are unique and play totally different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deadparrotelvis wrote:
Own both and so far I would rank them:

1.MoM
2.Betrayel
3.MoM 2

My ranking would be the exact reverse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here although the differences between the three are minuscule. Love 'em all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brzezinski
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
MoM2 is a scripted experience. Once you've run scenario X a few times, you have a general idea of what's going to happen.

I definitely agree with this statement. I like MoM2, but there is a lot more replayability with Betrayal. I played one scenario three times and the only variation we had was the third time when we used one player's copy who had all the first edition expansions with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.