Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Bending
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey all

Me and my play group were considering avarient on Percival, namely that there were two of them. One sees merlin and the other sees Morgana.

The idea was to switch things up a bit and try to prevent as many merlin stabs (we seem to get quite a few of those).

Thoughts on this varient, especially from people who may have tried this?

Thoughts on other varient ideas to limit merlin stabs?

(For context our merlin stabs typically happen because "well A is definitely not Merlin and B is definitely not Merlin and C seems more likely than D so let's stab C". And it's actually become a problem when trying to introduce new varients and roles. For instance Lancelot is fun but typically it's just one more person who probably isn't Merlin, making merlin stabs more likely. Hence we avoid playing with him :/)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bender418 wrote:
One sees Merlin and the other sees Morgana.

Presumably each one know which of Merlin & Morgana they see? Or do you have some cunning way of ensuring that each Percival sees one but doesn't know which one?

bender418 wrote:
Thoughts on other variant ideas to limit Merlin stabs?

There was a lot of discussion about Re: What's wrong with me? recently.

Someone else actually proposed a similar variant to the one proposed in OP of that thread (secret vote & needing majority for a successful assassination. Don Eskridge said he thought it was an interesting alternative.

bender418 wrote:
Lancelot is fun but typically it's just one more person who probably isn't Merlin

It'd be interesting to know if including Lancelot actually makes a successful assassination more likely, and if so how much more likely. It seems obvious that it should but data would be interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rundle
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Worth a try - though I'd recommend giving one of them a different name, to make the information-sharing exercise at the beginning easier for players to follow. Let us know how it pans out.

It might also help if you try using Oberon instead of the Assassin, perhaps (so Mordred does the assassinating).

As for having too many successful assassinations of Merlin, assuming Merlin hasn't done anything daft to give himself away and Percival hasn't given the game away either, there are still a number of factors that might affect this, such as:

1) the number of players. If you are playing mostly 7-player games, statistically Merlin will get killed more often than if you can get 8 (or 9 or 10, obviously). I always get the greatest feeling of satisfaction if I survive as Merlin in a 7-player but, although I may have played well, I will not survive if my team-mates have not also played well, so...

2) how the other good team members play, especially Loyal Servants of Arthur. Are they doing things that Merlin would never do - like voting for missions they're not on (in the early stages)? Are they talking enough to provide cover for Merlin to talk? Are they making definite accusations and sticking to them like glue when there is no evidence for it? Are they (when knowing nothing in the middle/later stages of the game) refusing to listen to advice received from multiple players at the table and instead making random picks for teams? The spies will be selecting Merlin to kill on the basis of something - whatever those things are, try to stop doing them! Although Merlin can never be sure to avoid assassination, even if everyone plays perfectly, as there is the blind luck factor.

3) how Morgana played. If Morgana has done a good job, Merlin is almost certainly screwed. Even if by sheer luck the good guys get through the missions, Morgana should have ID'd Percival and, through him, Merlin - the good guy that Percival doesn't trust.

Of course, you might just be going through an unlucky patch - I find these things go in phases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bending
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:

Presumably each one know which of Merlin & Morgana they see?

Actually the idea was that each Percival didn't know which person they saw. Basically this varient splits Percival.

It's pretty easy to arrange random (yo u don't know who you're seeing) varients with either a moderator, clever use of a deck of cards, or in this case just somehow telling merlin and Morgana which one of them goes first/second.

As an example...

Take the lady of the lake red/blue cards and shuffle them. Give one to a player at the table. Have that player flip the card face up during spy reveal and merlin reveal. The color or the card indicates which one of them reveals for the first Percival.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bender418 wrote:
Take the lady of the lake red/blue cards and shuffle them. Give one to a player at the table. Have that player flip the card face up during spy reveal and merlin reveal. The color or the card indicates which one of them reveals for the first Percival.

Clever. I like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.